Posted to users@camel.apache.org by "S. Ali Tokmen" <sa...@bull.net> on 2010/11/09 18:41:13 UTC

OW2 JOnAS + Apache CAMEL integration version 1.5.5 is available

Hello to both CAMEL and JOnAS enthusiasts

Recently, both Apache CAMEL 2.5.0 and OW2 JOnAS 5.2.0-M3 have been
released. We are therefore pleased to announce the immediate
availability of the JOnAS + CAMEL packaging, version 1.5.5.

The main question is of course: what is this good for, anyways?

Well, OW2 JOnAS is a Java EE certified server, with all features you
would expect from a Java EE server: centralized configuration,
standardized monitoring, robust deployment, security, clustering, ...
and what's "really special" about JOnAS is that it is fully based on
OSGi (Apache Felix as OSGi gateway, Apache iPOJO as the dynamic service
component runtime).

Apache CAMEL is a powerful integration framework based on the Enterprise
Integration Patterns (EIP). It supports most of the patterns (various
message receivers and pollers, routing, splitting, multiplexing,
asynchronism, etc.), with support for nearly 100 components (i.e.,
protocols; varying from File to Web Services, Google App Engine to LDAP)
and a powerful extension mechanisms.

The glue between those two is, as you would have guessed, OSGi: thanks
to OSGi, CAMEL can be truly integrated into JOnAS. Moreover, iPOJO adds
dynamism to this integration; you can for example use injected OSGi
services in your CAMEL routes.

Why is CAMEL a big added value for existing Java EE platforms? The
answer is easy: if you stick to the "standard" A2A models in your Java
EE applications, you will need to implement bindings between all
external applications and your applications manually. That "manual glue"
will be hard to design (since you don't have such a powerful tool as
EIPs available to you), hard to test and most importantly hard to
maintain. Thanks to CAMEL, interconnection between applications becomes
much, much easier, centralized, standardized and robust.

And, why is JOnAS a big added value for CAMEL? Being a Java EE server,
JOnAS supports advanced Java EE options (XA datasources, transaction
management, ...) and centralized configuration, management and
deployment. Thanks to JOnAS, you can therefore cluster your Apache CAMEL
routes, easily deploy them, have monitoring features as well as advanced
options such as HTTP thread pool optimizations.

If you're interested, you can read more on:
http://wiki.jonas.ow2.org/xwiki/bin/view/Main/JOnASCamel . Both Apache
CAMEL and OW2 JOnAS are LGPL projects, therefore "free" as both in "free
speech" and "free beer".

And, for those who don't bother about Java EE + OSGi + EIP integration;
sorry for the noise.

Cheers

--

S. Ali Tokmen
savas-ali.tokmen@bull.net

Office: +33 4 76 29 76 19
GSM:    +33 66 43 00 555

Bull, Architect of an Open World TM
http://www.bull.com

Re: OW2 JOnAS + Apache CAMEL integration version 1.5.5 is available

Posted by "S. Ali Tokmen" <sa...@bull.net>.
Hi, Willem (and of course everyone else who's interested)

The source code is on
svn://svn.forge.objectweb.org/svnroot/jonas/sub-projects/camel-jonas5/trunk/camel-jonas5

If you don't like to browse SVN repositories with the svn:// protocol,
there also is a Fisheye:
http://websvn.ow2.org/listing.php?repname=jonas&path=%2Fsub-projects%2Fcamel-jonas5%2Ftrunk%2Fcamel-jonas5%2F

Posted by Willem Jiang <wi...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

--
Willem
----------------------------------

Re: OW2 JOnAS + Apache CAMEL integration version 1.5.5 is available

Posted by Claus Ibsen <cl...@gmail.com>.
Hi Salas

Congratulation on the release.

--
Claus Ibsen
-----------------

Re: OW2 JOnAS + Apache CAMEL integration version 1.5.5 is available

Posted by Hadrian Zbarcea <hz...@gmail.com>.
Thanks for the correction Norman.

Personally I understand the LGPL analogy to free speech and beer like this:
"You are free to speak as long as you pay for our beer". Nothing wrong with that though :).
AL2 on the other hand I consider truly free.

Enjoy using both projects,
Hadrian

Posted by Norman Maurer <no...@apache.org>.
np ;)