Posted to users@tomee.apache.org by fa...@rohde-schwarz.com on 2018/05/04 12:56:15 UTC

TomEE Stable and OpenJDK

Hello everyone,

we are currently using TomEE 1.7.4 and started to discuss an upgrade to the latest version.

Questions (spawned by the TomEE Wikipedia article) arose as to which one is currently the stable (production) release of TomEE: Is it 1.7.5 (as Wikipedia suggests) or the 7.0.4 (as tomee.apache.org suggest) or even 7.0.5 which we have found on a JIRA release notes page?

Another important question we were discussing: Can TomEE run on the OpenJDK JVM without issues or is it necessary to run it on an Oracle JVM? I have read that they are essentially the same, which doesn’t necessarily mean the JDK/JREs are interchangeable, or are they?

Thanks in advance for your answers!

All the best,

Fabian Richter

Re: TomEE Stable and OpenJDK

Posted by Andy Gumbrecht <ag...@tomitribe.com>.
Hi Fabian,

We're using OpenJDK & TomEE on many prod systems, so I'd say it's good
to go in that sense.

The 1.7.5 branch is the EE6 only version, of which the webprofile is
certified.

The 7.x branch is EE7 compatible, but not certified due only to
licensing issues - It's still very stable and used on many prod systems.

The 8.x branch that will soon be available is EE8 compatible.

Hope that helps,

Andy Gumbrecht.

Re: TomEE Stable and OpenJDK

Posted by Mark Struberg <st...@yahoo.de.INVALID>.
I think what the download page fails to communicate is which EE level it addresses.

We should probably split this into different areas on the download page.

To clarify this

TomEE-1.7.x adresses the JavaEE 6 specifications, with minimum requirement Java7 (up to Java8)
TomEE-7.0.x adresses JavaEE 7, with minimum Java7, soon up to Java11 (7.0.5 in preparation right now)
TomEE-7.1.x (wip) will address JavaEE7 + MicroProfile 1.3, with minimum Java8
TomEE-8.0.x (wip) will address JavaEE8 (+ MicroProfile 1.0) with minimum Java8

ATTENTION: we switched the maven groupId from org.apache.openejb.* in TomEE-1.7.x and before to now org.apache.tomee.
So in case you want to update, just change the groupId. All the rest remained the same.

Fabian, I hope I did cover what you were looking for.

txs and LieGrue,
strub

Re: TomEE Stable and OpenJDK

Posted by Matthew Broadhead <ma...@nbmlaw.co.uk>.
i also use OpenJDK on CentOS without problem.  I thought OpenJDK was
blessed by Oracle.  I also remember reading that OpenJDK code is used
inside Oracle JDK, Oracle one just has some extra stuff like JavaFX etc

Re: TomEE Stable and OpenJDK

Posted by Jonathan Gallimore <jo...@gmail.com>.
Exact dates are hard to provide. As a rough idea, we'll need a OpenJPA
release, and I think Mark is kicking that off soon, and then I think we're
probably good to go. The TomEE release can take a week or to, depending on
any issues that crop up, and allowing enough time to vote.

Hope that is some help.

Jon

RE: TomEE Stable and OpenJDK

Posted by COURTAULT Francois <Fr...@gemalto.com>.