Posted to dev@directory.apache.org by Pierre-Arnaud Marcelot <pa...@marcelot.net> on 2011/03/29 18:00:57 UTC

[Shared] [API] Moving Oid class to 'shared-ldap-model' module?

Hi Dev,

How about moving the Oid class to the 'shared-ldap-model' module?
It's currently in the 'shared-asn1-api' module.

I wanted to use it in Studio but I couldn't find it because my plugin was not depending on 'shared-asn1-api'

Don't you think it makes more sense to have it available as part of the LDAP model in the 'shared-ldap-model' module?

Thanks,
Pierre-Arnaud

Re: [Shared] [API] Moving Oid class to 'shared-ldap-model' module?

Posted by Alex Karasulu <ak...@apache.org>.
On Tue, Mar 29, 2011 at 7:57 PM, Emmanuel Lecharny <el...@gmail.com>wrote:

> On 3/29/11 6:00 PM, Pierre-Arnaud Marcelot wrote:
>
>> Hi Dev,
>>
>> How about moving the Oid class to the 'shared-ldap-model' module?
>> It's currently in the 'shared-asn1-api' module.
>>
>> I wanted to use it in Studio but I couldn't find it because my plugin was
>> not depending on 'shared-asn1-api'
>>
>> Don't you think it makes more sense to have it available as part of the
>> LDAP model in the 'shared-ldap-model' module?
>>

> An OID is an ASN.1 object, not an LDAP one..

+1

Later on this OID may be used for more than LDAP.

Regards,
Alex

Re: [Shared] [API] Moving Oid class to 'shared-ldap-model' module?

Posted by Pierre-Arnaud Marcelot <pa...@marcelot.net>.
On 29 mars 2011, at 18:57, Emmanuel Lecharny wrote:

> On 3/29/11 6:00 PM, Pierre-Arnaud Marcelot wrote:
>> Hi Dev,
>>
>> How about moving the Oid class to the 'shared-ldap-model' module?
>> It's currently in the 'shared-asn1-api' module.
>>
>> I wanted to use it in Studio but I couldn't find it because my plugin was not depending on 'shared-asn1-api'
>>
>> Don't you think it makes more sense to have it available as part of the LDAP model in the 'shared-ldap-model' module?
>
> An OID is an ASN.1 object, not an LDAP one..

It's also heavily used in Schema objects. Even if it's an indirect, implicit use in those objects (as we're storing OIDs as a String and not an OID object).
If Schema objects are part of the LDAP model, I believe the Oid class should also be part of it.

That said, I understand your point.
I just find it more convenient to regroup all the classes a user might use under the same package name and/or module.

Regards,
Pierre-Arnaud

Posted by Emmanuel Lecharny <el...@gmail.com>.