Posted to dev@aurora.apache.org by Maxim Khutornenko <ma...@apache.org> on 2014/10/22 23:40:28 UTC

Cron job quota checking

Hi all,

If you run cron jobs AND use resource quota checking for your
production jobs please read further.

We are planning to remove the existing loophole [1] for cron jobs
sliding under the quota check radar. The proposed approach is to count
cron job templates towards the production consumption and block at the
creation point (i.e. scheduleCronJob, createJob) when a requested
change would go over the allocated quota limit.

When [1] is implemented your existing production cron jobs will
continue to run as before. However, in case your total prod
consumption (including service and cron jobs) is near or over the
quota limit any attempts to create/update/schedule jobs under the
affected role will be blocked. You will have to explicitly free up
production resources or bump up the quota value to unblock.

Please, speak up if you have any concerns or suggestions.

Thanks,
Maxim

[1] - https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/AURORA-825

Re: Cron job quota checking

Posted by Kevin Sweeney <ke...@apache.org>.
Thanks for the note Maxim!

My hunch is that not many users will be affected by this change (given that
cron wasn't even documented until last week).