Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by an...@tatamotors.com on 2013/01/01 04:36:25 UTC

Re: info: Additional Licensing requirements if any for use of Open Office for Professional Work in Companies

Dear Andrea,

Greetings from Tata Motors !

Thank you for your mail and yes definetly i will keep you posted about the outcome.
Is it ok to  pass on your mail Id to our IT department to further take this forward.

I suggest use of Adobe Captivate to make multimedia tutorials for all Open Office tools,
this will give a boost to the users to try these tools for their productivity requirements.

Please visit: www.lynda.com/ for sample high quality multimedia tutorials of SW tools.

Have a pleasant day ahead
Anand Vasappanavara
09552502340
Note: This Mail was sent with the help of Mozilla Thunderbird <http://www.mozilla.org/en-US/thunderbird/> , an Open Source Email Client.

On 1/1/2013 12:14 AM, Andrea Pescetti wrote:

	anand.vasappanavara wrote:

		Thank you for your reply & wish you a happy & a prosperous new year 2013.
		Please do not mind me asking but can you let me know your views on Libre
		Office (documentation foundation) & Open Office org (Apache foundation)

	This is a legitimate and natural question, but, due to the large number of subscribers to our mailing lists (some of whom have strong feelings on the matter) and due to the OpenOffice project policy (all project-relevant discussions are held in public, so everybody can have a say), it can derail a good discussion like this one into a chaos of factoids and personal preferences.

	So, considering that we are on an OpenOffice mailing list, I'll just state things that you probably already know, i.e., that OpenOffice decided to have relatively infrequent (i.e., one in 3-6 months or so) releases, focusing on careful testing and quality (for example, the OpenOffice source code contains translations in 100+ languages but the project decided to release only those languages that are fully translated; and new translation volunteers are showing up on a nearly daily basis). I've already described the license in my previous message. And a good thing of free and open source software is that you can always try and make your own opinion!

		If the Open Source usage drive is successful in one Tata company, it
		will then rapidly penetrate into our other 70 odd companies in India &
		the world.

	I really wish you the best. It would be nice if you kept us informed if you decide to try OpenOffice. And, if you need any help or want to suggest possible improvements, you are welcome to contact the "dev" mailing list (the right one for generic questions; no need to add other mailing lists) again.

	Regards,
	  Andrea.

********************************************************************************************************************************************************
"This e-Mail may contain proprietary and confidential information and is sentfor the intended recipient(s) only.
If, by an addressing or transmission error,this mail has been misdirected to you, you are requested to delete this mailimmediately.
You are also hereby notified that any use, any form of reproduction, dissemination, copying, disclosure, modification, distribution
and/or publication of this e-mail message,contents or its attachment(s) other than by its intended recipient(s) is strictly prohibited.
Any opinions expressed in this email are those of the individual and not necessarily of the organization.
Before opening attachment(s), please scan for viruses."
********************************************************************************************************************************************************

Re: info: Additional Licensing requirements if any for use of Open Office for Professional Work in Companies

Posted by Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org>.
anand.vasappanavara wrote:
> Thank you for your mail and yes definetly i will keep you posted
> about the outcome. Is it ok to  pass on your mail Id to our IT
> department to further take this forward.

Sure. And I've realized I left a question unanswered:

> What about the security associated with the extensions of these tools
> are they safe, can they leak our professional info like those free
> android apps?

Some extensions are bundled with OpenOffice and they undergo the same
level of scrutiny as the rest of our source code. As for the others,
extensions.openoffice.org is a community site: extensions hosted there
are scanned for viruses, malware and spam, but are not fully audited by
the project.

Regards,
   Andrea.