Posted to dev@wicket.apache.org by Igor Vaynberg <ig...@gmail.com> on 2007/03/08 02:30:27 UTC

roadmap

pasted from almaw's email on @user

-igor

-------------------------- 8>< --------------------------------------------

In my opinion we could, within the next:
  1 week  - Push 1.3-betas as-is.
2/3 weeks - Bug fix as people test it and push out rc's when
            we feel it's solid and stable.
  4 weeks - Rename 1.x branch to 1.3.x.
          - Release 1.3.0 final and put 1.3.x immediately into
            maintenance mode.
          - Create 1.4.x branch from 1.3.0 tag.
          - Merge the model changes from trunk to 1.4.x.
          - Backport anything else from trunk to 1.4.x that's
            not JDK5-specific.
  6 weeks - Push out 1.4-betas
7/8 weeks - Push out 1.4-rc's
  9 weeks - Push out 1.4.0 final
          - Create 1.5.x branch from 1.4.0 tag.
          - Backport/add generics, covariance and other JDK 5 trunk
            features to the 1.5.x branch.
          - Move trunk to "2.0_deprecated_-_use_1.5.x_instead"
14+ weeks - Release 1.5.0

Suggestions to make this work:
------------------------------
We won't backport from 1.4.x -> 1.3.x.
We won't actively develop trunk.
We will push 1.4 out very soon after 1.3, and encourage migration.
We will have this in a public roadmap so people can see it coming.

Notes on what you think is insanity, but actually isn't:
We will of course end up with five(!) branches (1.2.x, 1.3.x, 1.4.x,
1.5.x and what's currently trunk). This may seem like madness to you,
but I reckon it isn't:

During 1.3 development, 2.x is low activity, 1.2.x negligible.
During 1.4 development, 1.3.x and 2.x are low, 1.2.x negligible.
During 1.5 development, only 1.4.x will also be quite active.

Once 1.5.0 is out, we can properly deprecate 2.0. People currently using
it may not like being told to migrate to 1.5.x, but that shouldn't be
too hard (much less hard than going from 1.3->2.0) and there shouldn't
be too many of them. I guess that's the price you sometimes pay for
using unreleased software. :-/

I'd envisage 1.4.x will require some backports from 1.5.x. We'd
obviously encourage core developers and patchers to upgrade their sites
to use 1.5.x, do active development on that, and therefore try to only
ever backport from 1.5.x to 1.4.x, not forward-port the other way around.

If you think I'm smoking crack, the above is utterly unreasonable, you
want to kick me out of the gang, or you have any better ideas or
suggestions as to how to keep everyone happy, please shout now. :-)

Best regards,

Alastair

Re: [Vote] roadmap

Posted by Eelco Hillenius <ee...@gmail.com>.
> > 9 weeks  is definitley too  long for  current 2.0 users  to wait
> > before. We all  know that 1  week in developer  terms is 2  or 3
> > human  weeks, so  this really  leaves us  high and  dry with  no
> > viable codebase for a long period of time.  I'm sure for most of
> > us that means  backporting to 1.3, then  forwardporting again to
> > 1.5. That will be really unpleasant -- please don't do that!
>
> By reading your message, I'm  under the impression that trunk will
> suddenly collapse  and disappear!  Why  do you have  that feeling?
> The code will remain as-is, you will still be able to work on your
> projects, don't worry.

I (and Johan) agree with James though. If you're on a project that
uses 2.0 and we decide to discontinue it, you want to upgrade asap to
a version that will be maintained in the future. And of course, we
should want that too, as the sooner users migrate, the sooner we can
actually close that branch.

Eelco

Re: [Vote] roadmap

Posted by Igor Vaynberg <ig...@gmail.com>.
no you wont see any exciting new features being developed. we are going to
concentrate on backporting all the good 2.0 stuff into 1.x before we work on
anything new.

-igor

Re: [Vote] roadmap

Posted by James McLaughlin <jo...@gmail.com>.
On 3/8/07, Jean-Baptiste Quenot <jb...@apache.org> wrote:

> * James McLaughlin:
>
> > 9 weeks  is definitley too  long for  current 2.0 users  to wait
> > before. We all  know that 1  week in developer  terms is 2  or 3
> > human  weeks, so  this really  leaves us  high and  dry with  no
> > viable codebase for a long period of time.  I'm sure for most of
> > us that means  backporting to 1.3, then  forwardporting again to
> > 1.5. That will be really unpleasant -- please don't do that!
>
> By reading your message, I'm  under the impression that trunk will
> suddenly collapse  and disappear!  Why  do you have  that feeling?
> The code will remain as-is, you will still be able to work on your
> projects, don't worry.
> --

By reading this thread, I get the impression many wicket developers wish it
would :). Let's just say at best 2.0 will be on life-support and waiting to

Re: [Vote] roadmap

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Quenot <jb...@apache.org>.
* James McLaughlin:

Re: [Vote] roadmap

Posted by James McLaughlin <jo...@gmail.com>.

Re: [Vote] roadmap

Posted by Johan Compagner <jc...@gmail.com>.
exactly my point.

Re: [Vote] roadmap

Posted by Jonathan Locke <jo...@gmail.com>.

this feels too aggressive to me if 1.3 is to be released through apache.  we
want our first apache release to be the best it can be, not as fast as it
can be because we've been promising it for a while.  let's give ourselves a

Re: roadmap

Posted by Martijn Dashorst <ma...@gmail.com>.
On 3/8/07, Andrew Lombardi <an...@mysticcoders.com> wrote:
> But I would hope that 2.0
> continues to receive bugfixes on an as needed basis, or you risk
> losing your fanatics because they have nowhere to go.

+1

Martijn

--
Learn Wicket at ApacheCon Europe: http://apachecon.com
Wicket 1.2.5 will keep your server alive. Download Wicket now!

Re: roadmap

Posted by Andrew Lombardi <an...@mysticcoders.com>.
It would seem to me, that through this dropping of constructor
change, and abandoning the 2.0 trunk/ ... There needs to be a really
nice and easy path to changing to the 1.3 or 1.4 branch, whatever the
case may be, and it needs to be clear.  I have a feeling the 2.0
users are those most under the Wicket reality distortion field, and
the biggest cheerleaders, so making sure they don't feel abandoned is
important.

 From what I'm hearing, the model change is the biggest item on the
agenda, and second is Java5.  It seems like 1.3 should have the model
change, and 1.4 should have Java5.  But I would hope that 2.0
continues to receive bugfixes on an as needed basis, or you risk
losing your fanatics because they have nowhere to go.

Andrew

Re: roadmap

Posted by Igor Vaynberg <ig...@gmail.com>.
On 3/8/07, Eelco Hillenius <ee...@gmail.com> wrote:

> > first of all this has nothing to do with a "power play". it has to do
> with a
> > simple fact that betas are meant to be stable releases that users can
> > develop against without worrying much about us pulling stuff from under
> > them.
>
> Threatening to veto is power play.

it is not a threat. i am still allowed to vote any way i choose no?

> Also, I don't agree with your definition of beta being non-breaking.
> You are in fact contradicting most of your own behavior in the
> project.

really? point me to a place in code where i introduced an api change that
breaks all clients in a beta that we knew was coming before we release the
beta.

it is ok to break minor things. but if we know a big all-client breaking
change is coming we should hold off.

> from the list i gather there is a large number of users that are waiting
> for
> > a beta before they start upgrading their projects for the above reason.
>
> Not many oppose the model change so far though. It should be quite an
> easy change for most occasions really. I think you and Al are making
> it larger than it really is.

i dont think it is necessarily a big deal, but we should not make a release
if we know this is coming.

Don't underestimate the amount of work that goes into rewriting and
> checking half a book of code example, ALL the wicket-stuff projects I
> converted, MOST of the other wicket projects I converted. We can all
> feel the pain here, and it is great that at least we tried to come up
> with the best solution and worked hard on trying to realize it. But we
> also have to admit that this whole situation is pretty amateuristic,
> and is not something we should repeat in the future.

i dont think there is anything mateuristic about this. it is the way of
software development. sometimes you try things that take a long time to
realize were not that great.

> The fact that the rest of the team +1-ed on it, makes us all
> responsible yes. But +1 a proposal is something else than actively
> advocating it and I currently feel kind of had to be slapped back for
> giving my support in the past.

this is bullshit. you evaluated it didnt you? or did you give a blind +1
vote? so now i am pretty much blamed for trying to come up with solutions to
problems. thats great.

-igor

Eelco

Re: roadmap

Posted by Igor Vaynberg <ig...@gmail.com>.
<Upayavira> ivaynberg: pong
<ivaynberg> can we graduate without a final release?
<Upayavira> yes
<Upayavira> final release is about code quality, not about legal stuff
<ivaynberg> but we need a public one?
<Upayavira> no
<ivaynberg> so just any kind of release
<ivaynberg> and we are good to go?
<ivaynberg> just a bunch of jars for incubator folks to look at?
<Upayavira> A packaged tarball made available on people.apache.org
<Upayavira> that's all that is needed
<Upayavira> That is the basis of Felix graduating.
<ivaynberg> and none of the graduated projects have become vaporware in the
past? :)
<Upayavira> However, I must say, I think that Wicket _should_ do a proper
release
<ivaynberg> proper as in final or beta?
<Upayavira> It is a much more developed product than Felix
<Upayavira> beta is fine
<ivaynberg> ok
<Upayavira> one that'll get used by people

Re: roadmap

Posted by Johan Compagner <jc...@gmail.com>.

Re: roadmap

Posted by Igor Vaynberg <ig...@gmail.com>.

Re: roadmap

Posted by Ryan Sonnek <ry...@gmail.com>.
> But see, it is not relevant for the people who are on 2.0, as they are
> using those features *today*. They have code that compiles today and
> projects they are working on today. They are not working on 2.0 to end
> up with 1.4 or 1.5; the only time they would do that is when we decide
> to drop 2.0. You can imagine they don't want to rewrite the models and
> validators and generics only to put it in at *some* later time *if* we
> decide to put these features in.

I'm a user of wicket 2.0, and I'm not worried about changes "breaking"
my app.  the only people using 2.0 for their apps are either building
the source directly, or pulling down maven snapshots.  either way,
they've either gotten used to "bleeding" edge development, or they've
moved to a more stable version (1.3).

Before worrying so much about providing 2.0 users with a migration
path, make sure that 2.0 users even *need* it.  I really don't think
there are that many people using 2.0.  I'm not worried about these
changes "breaking" my app and I'm sure anyone using 2.0 today is very
plugged into the ever changing codebase.

Re: roadmap

Posted by Eelco Hillenius <ee...@gmail.com>.
> No, we need to make the case clear and really be sure we don't want to
> continue with the constructor change. Too much has been invested into
> that project to decide on a whim that we discontinue it. Therefore
> discuss it with respect to eachother and the codebase. Ensure our
> users are included into the discussion. Ensure we don't leave out
> users because they enjoy a skiing trip.
>
> I stress again: this can't be decided before the weekend. It shouldn't.

Yes, I agree. See my other email where I propose some time to let it sink in.

> > Like I said earlier, these things go hand in hand. You can't just say,
> > we're probably gonna ditch 2.0 without providing an alternative for
> > those people working on it. Don't forget *we* have been encouraging
> > people to use 2.0 for their long running projects, so arguments like
> > 'that's what you got working with beta software' just won't do imo.
>
> We can decide on the future of 2.0 without deciding what we will do
> with the features inside. That actually comes after the decision to
> discontinue trunk. We really need to separate these discussions.
> Otherwise both get diluted.

No we really really cannot separate those things. The only way I am
ever gonna +1 on reverting the constructor change is if I agree with
the transition path for the users who are currently depending on 2.0.
This is not an attempt to do my part of power play. I'm just stating
that it would be unacceptable to me to have an incomplete transition
path and that it is also unacceptable to me to not deliver that soon
once we decided.

> We will, if that causes a lot of trouble for people already building
> on 1.3. We haven't decided even that trunk is going to be
> discontinued. Therefore we don't need the model refactor in 1.3.

That's fine. I'm all for letting the decision about the model back
port being based on whether or not we are going forward with reverting
the constructor change.

> Also the change is controversial, at least with Igor and that is for
> me reason enough to regret putting it in (right) now.

Yes, but this is not a normal future issue as it is connected to
providing a proper (complete!) migration path in case we decide to
drop 2.0.

> No question on the technical merit of the model change, I just don't
> think we should decide *now* to include it already. The vote is to
> include *NOW*, and that I don't want. I might even not want it in 1.3
> final. But that is something I want to discuss after we decide what to
> do with trunk, because then it is clear that we need to actually
> provide a short migration path.

Like I stated above, it is not something to discuss after we decide on
the constructor change, but rather something to discuss as part of it.

> > I want a release first to give people enough stability to do the model
> > change when they are ready for it. I *don't* want the model change in
> > another branch (after giving it a good thought) as that other branch
> > won't happen as soon as it should. Just won't; we have 2.5 years of
> > experience with the framework to prove that.
>
> We also have a team that is different for the last half year than the
> 2 years before that. Different people, different circumstances.

Sure. But putting up branch 1.4 and putting 1.3 in maintenance mode
within 3 or 4 weeks after we decide is just not going to happen. Or do
you disagree with that?

> I also think that for people currently on trunk, having 1.4 or 1.5
> with generics support will be sooner avaiable than continue trunk
> development at its current speed. If we decide to only do (for
> example) the model change and generics, I expect us to keep to it.

But see, it is not relevant for the people who are on 2.0, as they are
using those features *today*. They have code that compiles today and
projects they are working on today. They are not working on 2.0 to end
up with 1.4 or 1.5; the only time they would do that is when we decide
to drop 2.0. You can imagine they don't want to rewrite the models and
validators and generics only to put it in at *some* later time *if* we
decide to put these features in.

> But the generics in themselves are controversial and may need some extra
> development to make them really rock.

I backtrack on the earlier discussion I started. I'm afraid it's all
or nothing with those generics, so give or take a few tweaks, the way
it works in 2.0 would probably be pretty the way it would end up
working for any branch.

Re: roadmap

Posted by Martijn Dashorst <ma...@gmail.com>.
On 3/8/07, Eelco Hillenius <ee...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Our priorities should now be:
> >  - GRADUATE! : get 1.3-incubating-beta1 released and vetted by the ipmc
>
> Why is graduation suddenly the biggest priority now? For me finishing
> Wicket in action is a much larger priority to be honest, and getting
> rid of two difficult to maintain branches would be a bigger priority
> as well.

For me personally WIA is important as well, but we won't be shipping a
(final) release while inside the incubator. To get *any* release,
including either 1.3 or 2.0 (if not voted down) we need to leave the
incubator. This will be the best for the book as well, we need to
increase downloads to increase sales remember? Graduate -> release

And for the project I think graduating is very important. Focussing on
that, while discussing a roadmap in the background, without rushing
it, is what I think is best for the project.

Re: roadmap

Posted by Eelco Hillenius <ee...@gmail.com>.

Re: roadmap

Re: roadmap

Posted by Johan Compagner <jc...@gmail.com>.
> I think we should have a regular vote on this. One way or another, we
> need to come to a conclusion. I wish we could just sit somewhere, have a
> beer and discuss this live :)

ApacheCon!
But i guess thats a bit to late for the most discussions we have here :(

johan

Re: roadmap

Posted by Johan Compagner <jc...@gmail.com>.
Just buy everybody a beer on queens day (or night)

Re: roadmap

Posted by Eelco Hillenius <ee...@gmail.com>.
> The constructor change really seemed to fix the issues we had. I
> remember really liking the idea. And I also liked using it. But the
> truth is that it lacks certain flexibility for complex situations and
> this is not something that could have been easily predicted. I don't
> think that blaming anyone for supporting/advocating the change is the
> way to go.
>
> And I don't even thing that it is amateurish. You really have to try
> some things and get burned, there's no other way. We are not
> implementing a JSR. We need to experiment. And this one doesn't really
> worked better that what we had before. Which doesn't mean that it's
> completely wrong. It's just that the pros don't outweight the cons. But
> we needed to try it first to find that out.

Ok, fair enough. Sorry for being rude on that Igor and others. I agree
that wasn't a helpful thing of me to do.

> I think we should have a regular vote on this. One way or another, we
> need to come to a conclusion. I wish we could just sit somewhere, have a
> beer and discuss this live :)

Yes, that would be nice :)

Eelco

Re: roadmap

Posted by Matej Knopp <ma...@knopp.sk>.
The constructor change really seemed to fix the issues we had. I
remember really liking the idea. And I also liked using it. But the
truth is that it lacks certain flexibility for complex situations and
this is not something that could have been easily predicted. I don't
think that blaming anyone for supporting/advocating the change is the
way to go.

And I don't even thing that it is amateurish. You really have to try
some things and get burned, there's no other way. We are not
implementing a JSR. We need to experiment. And this one doesn't really
worked better that what we had before. Which doesn't mean that it's
completely wrong. It's just that the pros don't outweight the cons. But
we needed to try it first to find that out.

I think right now it's pretty sure that 2.0 is not the way to go. So
what we need to decide is whether to backport the models to 1.3 or not.

My personal opinion is - let's do that. I don't really think it's gonna
be that hard to convert old models to new. Simple models will just get
removed the component argument, property and compound model will just
become inner subclasses. Is this really such a big deal?

I think we should have a regular vote on this. One way or another, we
need to come to a conclusion. I wish we could just sit somewhere, have a
beer and discuss this live :)

-Matej

Re: roadmap

Posted by Eelco Hillenius <ee...@gmail.com>.

Re: roadmap

Posted by Igor Vaynberg <ig...@gmail.com>.

Re: roadmap

Posted by Eelco Hillenius <ee...@gmail.com>.

Re: roadmap

Posted by Igor Vaynberg <ig...@gmail.com>.

Re: roadmap

Posted by Eelco Hillenius <ee...@gmail.com>.

Re: roadmap

Posted by Johan Compagner <jc...@gmail.com>.
See my other mail about most points you make that i think completely the
opposite about
But when are we making the namespace change???

1.4? or 1.5?

johan

Re: roadmap

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Quenot <jb...@apache.org>.
* Al Maw:

> Another fly in the ointment is that  we will need to move to the
> org.apache.wicket namespace  at some point. If we  have both JDK
> 1.4 and  JDK 1.5  branches that  we're trying  to keep  in sync,
> merging  will  be  slightly  more annoying  due  to  the  import
> mismatch, although I guess that's fairly minor.
>
> The  main point  here is  that we  probably won't  graduate from
> incubation until  we switch  to this namespace. Would  people be
> happy  to do  this for  1.3? It's  a pretty  trivial update  for
> people - just  global search and replace on  "import wicket." to
> "import  org.apache.wicket." (with  the exception  of things  in
> wicket-stuff like the datepicker). We  should maybe start a vote
> on this. We will certainly have to  do it in 1.4, no matter what
> that looks like.

I wouldn't  switch to  the new namespace  until all  features from
trunk  are  backported to  1.x,  as  merging  would be  much  more
difficult, it's already a mess right now.
--
     Jean-Baptiste Quenot
aka  John Banana   Qwerty

Re: roadmap

Posted by Al Maw <wi...@almaw.com>.

Re: roadmap

Posted by Johan Compagner <jc...@gmail.com>.
oeps sorry didn't see this thread yet so here is it again:

i really hate that roadmap, really i do.

So you really want quickly 1.4 after 1.3 and i guess 1.3 is completely in
maintenance mode pretty much directly
because if we start working on 1.5 you really don't want 1.3 anymore
That means that people that all do 1.3 stuff now are going to 1.4 anyway
(especially because it is also not java5 yet again)

Releasing so quickly is in my eyes a bad thing. And i really don't want to
release as much under the incubating flag
(i sort of already don't want to do that for 1.3!! but i can live with that
if we really really have to)

so i am -1 on this release cycle.
what you call 1.3 and 1.4 should be in my eyes 1.3 and why you call 1.5 is
in my eyes 1.4.

Give people a big chunk and let that sink in for quite a while. Dont go
releasing like a mad man.

johan- Show quoted text -

Re: roadmap

Posted by Eelco Hillenius <ee...@gmail.com>.
> well yeah. write the text now, and the code examples later. or is that too
> unmanageable?

That's funny, really. :)

> but according to the roadmap we are releasing 1.4 fairly soon. can you put
> off the chapters that are affected by this?

To some degree, for a couple of weeks at most.

> we do need to work around you to some degree because the book is an
> important asset, so you need to tell us what will absolutely not work for
> you and what you can live with.

I/ we can live with a week or 3/ 4, but that would be absolutely the
max before we get in serious trouble. But I'll let Martijn chip in
when he wakes up.

Eelco

Re: roadmap

Posted by Igor Vaynberg <ig...@gmail.com>.

Re: roadmap

Posted by Eelco Hillenius <ee...@gmail.com>.

Re: roadmap

Posted by Igor Vaynberg <ig...@gmail.com>.

Re: roadmap

Posted by Eelco Hillenius <ee...@gmail.com>.
Up to now we didn't release a thing from 1.3 nor 2.0. I'm totally for
releasing something 1.3-ish this weekend, if only for the selfish
reason that I want to stabilize on a release for one of the branches
of the system I'm working on. So I would like - and I'm sure others as
well - to have *some* official version, whatever the version name.

Now, personally, I'm in favor of doing anything in 1.3, but I can see
Al's point and if he feels that strongly about it, I'm flexible (even
though it gives Martijn and me more pain in the writing). The big
thing that I'm afraid of, just looking at how we have functioned as a
project so far, is that these couple of weeks are going to be a couple
of months.

Eelco

Re: roadmap

Posted by Johan Compagner <jc...@gmail.com>.

Re: roadmap

Posted by Eelco Hillenius <ee...@gmail.com>.

Re: roadmap

Posted by Eelco Hillenius <ee...@gmail.com>.

Re: [Vote] roadmap

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Quenot <jb...@apache.org>.
* Steven Zou:

> Why  not  go  to  2.0  with  all  strength  directly?  and  make
> 1.2.x  only   bugfix.   I   think  that  the   frequent  release
> plan(1.3,1.4,1.5...)  is one  bad idea.these  will confuse  many
> users...

Uh?  Every  piece of  software I know  releases often,  and avoids
API  breaks.   I  don't   understand  your  point.   Currently  we
have  a frozen  1.2.x  branch, a  late-to-be-released  1.3, and  a
soon-to-be-dead  and API-incompatible  2.0.  The  roadmap reflects
the feeling  that we need to  focus on 1.x, avoid  big API breaks,
and release often.  That's what the users want I think.
--
     Jean-Baptiste Quenot
aka  John Banana   Qwerty

Re: [Vote] roadmap

Posted by Steven Zou <jg...@gmail.com>.

Re: roadmap

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Quenot <jb...@apache.org>.
* Johan Compagner:

> What  should by  the way  all  the users  of 2.0  now do?   They
> shouldn't backport to 1.3 that would be completely stupid so the
> have to keep using 2.0 until  we make 1.4 available?  Because if
> they do backport first to 1.3 to  at least be on a stable branch
> or  active  develop  branch  then we  screw  them  twice.  first
> backport from  2.0 to 1.3  then they have  to use the  old model
> style then 1.4 comes along and they have to redo there model 2.0
> style.

People using  2.0 will  switch to  the 1.x  branch when  the Model
refactor is  done.  You're  discussing names and  version numbers,
but the real issue is about what features go in what version.  You
say don't go too quickly, but this  is the goal of the roadmap: to
plan when the features are backported to avoid being too chaotic.
--
     Jean-Baptiste Quenot
aka  John Banana   Qwerty

Re: roadmap