Posted to dev@flink.apache.org by Dian Fu <di...@gmail.com> on 2020/11/09 14:24:23 UTC

[ANNOUNCE] Apache Flink 1.12.0, release candidate #1

Hi all,

The RC1 for Apache Flink 1.12.0 has been created. This is still a preview-only release candidate to drive the current testing efforts and so no official votes will take place. It has all the artifacts that we would typically have for a release, except for the release note and the website pull request for the release announcement.

It includes the following:
   * the preview source release and binary convenience releases [1], which are signed with the key with fingerprint 6B6291A8502BA8F0913AE04DDEB95B05BF075300 [2],
   * all artifacts that would normally be deployed to the Maven Central Repository [3]
   * source code tag "release-1.12.0-rc1" [4]

To test with these artifacts, you can create a settings.xml file with the content shown below [5]. This settings file can be referenced in your maven commands via --settings /path/to/settings.xml. This is useful for creating a quickstart project based on the staged release and also for building against the staged jars.

Happy testing!

Regards,
Robert & Dian

[1] https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/flink/flink-1.12.0-rc1/
[2] https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/release/flink/KEYS
[3] https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapacheflink-1402/
[4] https://github.com/apache/flink/releases/tag/release-1.12.0-rc1
[5]
<settings>
    <activeProfiles>
         <activeProfile>flink-1.12.0</activeProfile>
    </activeProfiles>
    <profiles>
        <profile>
            <id>flink-1.12.0</id>
            <repositories>
                  <repository>
                        <id>flink-1.12.0</id>
                        <url>https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapacheflink-1402/</url>
                 </repository>
                 <repository>
                       <id>archetype</id>
                       <url>https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapacheflink-1402/</url>
                 </repository>
             </repositories>
        </profile>
    </profiles>
</settings>

Re: [ANNOUNCE] Apache Flink 1.12.0, release candidate #1

Posted by Robert Metzger <rm...@apache.org>.
Thanks a lot for creating the first release candidate Dian!

It is quite difficult to keep track of all the testing / fixing activities,
I'll try to provide a short summary:

The most critical bugs found so far are:
1. Iterative Batch jobs are deadlocking:
2. Unaligned checkpoints are unstable:
3. New Kafka Source is not working:

1. is fixed, 2. is almost merged and 3 has some open PRs already.

There are still some other bugs that would be nice to address, but I would
like to create a new release candidate early next week (ideally Monday),
because some critical issues are showing up multiple times in the testing
now.
The testing seems to make good progress (as tracked in
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/FLINK-20112), some testing tasks have
finished already, others have early results.