Posted to users@openoffice.apache.org by Donald Miller <da...@hotmail.com> on 2015/10/13 17:39:47 UTC

Path settings in newer releases

By the way, could "options > paths" be made an easier setting and less easy to be reset without permission?
Present default is up to 7 folder levels deep on C, but I have all my non system files on D (for ease of backup).
I absolutely despise Bill Gates defaults, such as C:\Users\userID\Documents.

Some programs let user settings reside in a text file, which can be backed up and copied-in after updates.

Regards,
Donald A. Miller

Re: Path settings in newer releases

Posted by Rory O'Farrell <of...@iol.ie>.
On Tue, 13 Oct 2015 12:45:04 -0700
"Dennis E. Hamilton" <de...@acm.org> wrote:

> If you have a recent version of Windows (8.1 or 10 for sure), you can move
> your user-account Documents folder to your D: Drive and the apps that
> default to it will find it where you put it, as will File Explorer, etc.
>
> Find the Documents folder in C:\Users\userID\, right click on the folder
> name and select properties.  Among those you should see either a tab or an
> entry that specifies Location.
>
> You can do this with some of the other standard default folders, such as
> Music and Pictures.
>
> Very handy if you have a small C: drive (such as a SSD).
>
> The idea of having different defaults by file type is an interesting one.
> It probably flies in the face of using the standard platform
> open/close/save/save-as functions, so might be trickier than one might
> think.  (I worry about having just one more way for the AOO user profile to
> be corrupted [;<).  Need a way not to surprise anyone who expects the
> current behavior.)
>
>  - Dennis

I was thinking about this.  Each application has automatically selected for its filetype dropdown the available file types in which it could save.  The select of these could also coincide with the selection of the application specific directory.  Note that I am only thinking about one specific directory for each application, in which all filetypes appropriate to that application will be saved (e.g. for Calc, all spreadsheet files, be they .ods, .xls etc).

Anyway, it is an enhancement to consider.

Rory

Rory O'Farrell <of...@iol.ie>

Re: Path settings in newer releases

Posted by Rory O'Farrell <of...@iol.ie>.
On Tue, 13 Oct 2015 14:37:23 -0600
Donald Miller <da...@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Dennis, my SSD thanks you for that advice.
>
> Rory, threads are easier to follow if you set your email to put your reply at top, then your sig, then the quoted content,
> optional line or space to separate. Some businesses & support services insist on this approach.
> This is easy to set up in outlook.com and client from www.fossamail.org (Windows and Linux).

In general I post below the relevant quoted text.  Otherwise the response may be out of context.

Rory

Rory O'Farrell <of...@iol.ie>

Re: Path settings in newer releases

Posted by Larry Gusaas <la...@gmail.com>.
On 2015-10-13, 2:37 PM Donald Miller wrote:
> Rory, threads are easier to follow if you set your email to put your reply at top, then your sig, then the quoted content, optional line or space to separate.

Wrong. Proper netiquette is to include only the pertinent part of the message you are replying
to and post your response below it.

That way it is clear what part of the message you are replying to.

--
_________________________________

Larry I. Gusaas
Moose Jaw, Saskatchewan Canada
Website: http://larry-gusaas.com

Re: Top posting

Posted by Donald Miller <da...@hotmail.com>.
W.H.: Thanks for the ref -- which notes that other styles have advocates.
Many business users prefer top posting as it shows the action focus.
I understand your preference for bottom posting, but that requires
more reading to get to the focus.

Not everyone wants to re read all. But forum users can know to hit
control-end. I spend little time on forums/fora, and tend to forget.

"Interleaved style" can be effective if the client supports suitable tags,
such as ">".

"Why can't we force iron standards?" That's one reason so many hate
Microshaft.
Another is that their "logic" often is not logical or efficient.

Regards, Donald A. Miller

-------------------

Re: Top posting

Posted by DaveMainwaring <da...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, Oct 14, 2015 at 2:23 AM, Dale Erwin <da...@casaerwin.org>
wrote:

> People who top post never look below the first few lines of any message
> and cannot be bothered to weed out and eliminate irrelevant content,

​Enough already...
Dale I don't appreciate being put down: "​People who top post never look
below the first few lines of any message and cannot be bothered to weed out
and eliminate irrelevant content"
I email using Gmail and replies get placed where it places them.
Off topic threads kill good discussions.
OpenOffice selected the software for the users group. A good mail list
threads discussions

Best of luck wit
​h your ​
Custom Leather Goods

​Now can we lurkers read about AOO issues​

Follow :
*http://mainzoneknowledgenetwork.blogspot.com/
<http://mainzoneknowledgenetwork.blogspot.com/>*Knowledge workers are
workers whose main capital is knowledge.

*Knowledge workers  "think for a living"*
Kids PlayTime Toy Boats <http://kidsboats.blogspot.com/>

Re: Top posting

Posted by Dale Erwin <da...@casaerwin.org>.
On 10/14/2015 12:05 AM, Marilyn Safier wrote:
> Why it has become prevalent?
> Because you can read it first and only need to go below if you need to
> refer to something, that's why!

People who top post never look below the first few lines of any message
and cannot be bothered to weed out and eliminate irrelevant content,
such as all those footers added by so many mailing lists. A long-running
conversation can reach hundreds of pages of nothing but endless
repetitions of those footers overrunning mailboxes and bogging down
transmission times, especially in places where internet connections are
slow.  It's a very inconsiderate practice.

Re: Top posting

Posted by Marilyn Safier <ma...@gmail.com>.
Why it has become prevalent?
Because you can read it first and only need to go below if you need to
refer to something, that's why!

Marilyn Safier

http://www.bonanza.com/booths/MareCrochets
https://www.etsy.com/shop/MareCrochets?ref=hdr_shop_menu
Ravelry ID: marecrochets - friend me and I'll return the favor!

Re: Top posting

Posted by Dale Erwin <da...@casaerwin.org>.

Re: Top posting

Posted by William K Helbig Jr <wh...@windstream.net>.
A quick lesson on top posting.

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
A: Top-posting.

Skip H

RE: Top posting

Posted by "Coll-Barth, Michael" <Mi...@VerizonWireless.com.INVALID>.

I've been doing the newsgroups, forums and email in its various formats for close to 30 years.  The whole top/bottom posting issue is just plain BS.  Particularly when the thread is long with folks responding to different parts of the post at different times.  What's important is to write clearly and concisely.  Don't make me work to understand what you are saying.  As for personal preference, I prefer midposting.

> A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.

Not for me.

>> Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
> A: Top-posting.

The most annoying is flame wars.  Especially over trivial things like, how to post.

Re: Top posting

Posted by Dan Lewis <el...@gmail.com>.
Bottom post

Posted by Donald Miller <da...@hotmail.com>.
James, I use fossamail (windows) to get around some shortcomings of
outlook.com web mail.
After I complete my move to another state, I will have another ISP
option for email.:-)

Regards, Donald A. Miller

Posted by James Knott <ja...@rogers.com>.

Posted by Donald Miller <da...@hotmail.com>.

Posted by Donald Miller <da...@hotmail.com>.
Great concept. More than I dared to ask for.

Regards, Donald A. Miller

Posted by Rory O'Farrell <of...@iol.ie>.