Posted to dev@fineract.apache.org by Terence Monteiro <te...@sanjosesolutions.in> on 2019/07/26 14:34:22 UTC

Fineract on a Raspberry Pi 3b+

Hi Fineracters,

Normally about 1.5 is the minimum recommended RAM for Fineract v1 and some
docs suggest 4Gb is good. I have run PHP, Ruby and Perl applications on VPS
with 1Gb RAM (though some PHP applications can even require 10Gb). I was
reading this thread
https://www.quora.com/Is-it-true-that-Node-js-helps-in-reducing-server-costs-compared-to-PHP-and-Java-servers
saying
that NodeJS can handle many more requests with the same resources.

I think that if we can find a way to run Fineract on a Raspberry Pi, it
would be very cool to demonstrate at the next ApacheCon and also will help
address some of the memory issues that cause Fineract to crash requests
with OutOfMemoryException. Per the above thread, Java Web servers can be
designed with multiple threads per process but it is much easier to write
them with single thread per process, so would an alternative multi-thread
per process Java Web Server help make it possible to run Fineract on a Pi
3b+ or we should just wait till a future Raspberry Pi ships with more RAM?
Thoughts please.

--
Best Regards,
Terence Monteiro,

Re: Fineract on a Raspberry Pi 3b+

Posted by Michael Vorburger <mi...@vorburger.ch>.
On Fri, Jul 26, 2019 at 4:34 PM Terence Monteiro <
terence@sanjosesolutions.in> wrote:

> Hi Fineracters,
>
> Normally about 1.5 is the minimum recommended RAM for Fineract v1 and some
> docs suggest 4Gb is good. I have run PHP, Ruby and Perl applications on VPS
> with 1Gb RAM (though some PHP applications can even require 10Gb). I was
> reading this thread
> https://www.quora.com/Is-it-true-that-Node-js-helps-in-reducing-server-costs-compared-to-PHP-and-Java-servers saying
> that NodeJS can handle many more requests with the same resources.

That thread to me seems an oversimplification of the topic... ;-)

I think that if we can find a way to run Fineract on a Raspberry Pi, it
> would be very cool to demonstrate at the next ApacheCon

It would be cool demo/show case. I think practical application would be
much more limited though.

FYI Java on the RPi is not a great story. It's because of the ARM vs. Intel
thing - nobody really invested properly into optimizing the JVM for ARM;
OpenJDK doesn't perform as well on ARM as on x86. There are other JVM impls
than OpenJDK, notably Azul and J9 - it's possible that they are performing
better, but it would need more testing and all.

and also will help address some of the memory issues that cause Fineract to
> crash requests with OutOfMemoryException. Per the above thread, Java Web
> servers can be designed with multiple threads per process but it is much
> easier to write them with single thread per process, so would an
> alternative multi-thread per process Java Web Server help make it possible
> to run Fineract on a Pi 3b+ or we should just wait till a future Raspberry
> Pi ships with more RAM? Thoughts please.

If I can be blunt, IMHO that's the wrong approach... whatever memory issues
that cause Fineract to crash requests with OutOfMemoryException should be
analysed and fixed. Is there a JIRA for this?

Instead of single thread per process, what you typically do, for a Java
server application such as Fineract, is the classical multi-thread per
process Java Web Server, up to a point; if you need more, you would scale
out by running several of them - Kubernetes! ;-)

Posted by Terence Monteiro <te...@sanjosesolutions.in>.
On Fri, Jul 26, 2019 at 10:12 PM Victor Romero <
victor.romero@fintecheando.mx> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> You can try with GraalVM, Spring-thin and Java 11.

Thanks I'll look into that.

> I have a question, what will be the use case for Fineract on Raspberry Pi?

Here are some use possible cases:

   1. To demo Fineract when on travels where the organisation has computers
   on a LAN but no Internet
   2. In places with poor Internet connection, this can be a local server
   with DB synchronisation with the cloud server using VPN and replication
   3. In places where 3G/4G connectivity is poor or lacking so mobile apps
   which require that don't work
   4. In disaster hit areas / war zones where Mobile tower infrastructure
   is damaged or not powered up

Of course in most of these a good SBC will work though most of these are
ARM based.

Posted by Victor Romero <vi...@fintecheando.mx>.
Hi,