Posted to dev@tapestry.apache.org by Lenny Primak <lp...@hope.nyc.ny.us> on 2011/09/08 03:06:33 UTC

Can we get rid of this annoying message?

Executing job #1 (PagePool cleanup)

This prints every 15 minutes and fills up log.

Thanks

Re: Can we get rid of this annoying message?

Posted by Massimo Lusetti <ml...@gmail.com>.
On Thu, Sep 8, 2011 at 5:49 PM, Lenny Primak <lp...@hope.nyc.ny.us> wrote:

> I don't think INFO is the appropriate logging level for this message,
> I don't want to get rid of all INFO messages from Tapestry, just the DBEUG ones :)

You can always configure specific class but actually I think is a bit
too much for this case... We can use Markers in this case to let you
filter with that specific notion. Even elevating (or lowering?) the
level to DEBUG make sense.

Cheers
--
Massimo
http://meridio.blogspot.com

Re: Can we get rid of this annoying message?

Posted by Lenny Primak <lp...@hope.nyc.ny.us>.

Posted by Massimo Lusetti <ml...@gmail.com>.
On Thu, Sep 8, 2011 at 8:17 PM, Martin Strand
<do...@gmail.com> wrote:

> In Oracle's JDK, unused SoftReferences are kept alive for 1 second per
> available MB of heap space:
>
> http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/hotspotfaq-138619.html#gc_softrefs
>
> e.g. with 120 MB free, a SoftReference that is never used will still be
> around for another two minutes.

That will clearly cause some race in a busy-tight-constraints-resource
box and here we often use small (1 or 2 GB) virtual servers for all
sort of things, nice to see that's a tuneable value.

Thanks for the reference.
--
Massimo
http://meridio.blogspot.com

Re: Can we get rid of this annoying message?

Posted by Martin Strand <do...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Howard Lewis Ship <hl...@gmail.com>.
On Thu, Sep 8, 2011 at 10:59 AM, Howard Lewis Ship <hl...@gmail.com> wrote:
> That's an interesting idea, I don't know why it didn't occur to me.
>
> I am concerned that the JVM might discard page instances too often
> when memory gets tight.
>
> I wouldn't have an objection to switching the PageCacheImpl over to
> using soft references .... it would also help with Google App Engine
> compatibility.
>
> Is that something you might want to take on?

Actually, I may take a plug at it shortly.

--
Howard M. Lewis Ship

Creator of Apache Tapestry

(971) 678-5210
http://howardlewisship.com

Re: Can we get rid of this annoying message?

Posted by Kalle Korhonen <ka...@gmail.com>.
On Thu, Sep 8, 2011 at 10:59 AM, Howard Lewis Ship <hl...@gmail.com> wrote:
> That's an interesting idea, I don't know why it didn't occur to me.
> I am concerned that the JVM might discard page instances too often
> when memory gets tight.
> I wouldn't have an objection to switching the PageCacheImpl over to
> using soft references .... it would also help with Google App Engine
> compatibility.
> Is that something you might want to take on?

I floated the idea as part of the GAE issue in jira
(https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/TAP5-1616), but I didn't get
support for it so figured I may to have to do it as an add-on later.
Feel free to work on it, I'm pretty busy coding on Android these days.

Kalle

Posted by Howard Lewis Ship <hl...@gmail.com>.

<ka...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 8, 2011 at 10:08 AM, Howard Lewis Ship <hl...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Thu, Sep 8, 2011 at 9:49 AM, Josh Canfield <jo...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Currently we can only control the interval, via
>>> SymbolConstants.PAGE_SOURCE_CHECK_INTERVAL.
>>> I'd prefer this service didn't run at all.
>> Maybe a symbol to configure this behavior, i.e,
>> "tapestry.page-cache-janitor-enabled" with default "true"
>
> The periodicExecutor service is great, but I just don't agree at all
> that the core should use it by default. I would much prefer the
> default behavior for purging unused pages was implemented with
> SoftReferences instead of a periodic clean up. Periodic execution
> prevents a modern virtualized environment to release unused resources
> properly, far beyond what's happening within a single Tapestry
> application.
>
> Kalle
>

>>> Also, it logs with:
>>> org.apache.tapestry5.ioc.services.TapestryIOCModule.PeriodicExecutor
>>>
>>> Which means I can only control logging for the entire
>>> PeriodicExecutor, not the page source janitor.
>>
>> True; the PE logs the description of the job as it executes it.
>>

>>> Josh

>> --
>> Howard M. Lewis Ship
>>
>> Creator of Apache Tapestry

>> (971) 678-5210
>> http://howardlewisship.com

Howard M. Lewis Ship

Creator of Apache Tapestry

(971) 678-5210
http://howardlewisship.com

Re: Can we get rid of this annoying message?

Posted by Kalle Korhonen <ka...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Lenny Primak <lp...@hope.nyc.ny.us>.
Perhaps just moving to DEBUG will work for this,
its clearly a debug message, not an INFO message.

Posted by Howard Lewis Ship <hl...@gmail.com>.
On Thu, Sep 8, 2011 at 9:49 AM, Josh Canfield <jo...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Currently we can only control the interval, via
> SymbolConstants.PAGE_SOURCE_CHECK_INTERVAL.
>
> I'd prefer this service didn't run at all.

Maybe a symbol to configure this behavior, i.e,
"tapestry.page-cache-janitor-enabled" with default "true"

> Also, it logs with:
> org.apache.tapestry5.ioc.services.TapestryIOCModule.PeriodicExecutor
>
> Which means I can only control logging for the entire
> PeriodicExecutor, not the page source janitor.

True; the PE logs the description of the job as it executes it.

> Josh
>
> On Thu, Sep 8, 2011 at 8:47 AM, Howard Lewis Ship <hl...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> This is why you have control over your log4j (or whatever) configuration.
>>
>> On Wed, Sep 7, 2011 at 6:21 PM, Josh Canfield <jo...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Agreed. This should also probably be off by default.

>> --
>> Howard M. Lewis Ship
>>
>> Creator of Apache Tapestry

>> (971) 678-5210
>> http://howardlewisship.com

Howard M. Lewis Ship

Creator of Apache Tapestry

(971) 678-5210
http://howardlewisship.com

Re: Can we get rid of this annoying message?

Posted by Josh Canfield <jo...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Howard Lewis Ship <hl...@gmail.com>.
This is why you have control over your log4j (or whatever) configuration.

On Wed, Sep 7, 2011 at 6:21 PM, Josh Canfield <jo...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Agreed. This should also probably be off by default.
> On Sep 7, 2011 6:07 PM, "Lenny Primak" <lp...@hope.nyc.ny.us> wrote:
>> Executing job #1 (PagePool cleanup)
>>
>> This prints every 15 minutes and fills up log.
>>
>> Thanks

Howard M. Lewis Ship

Creator of Apache Tapestry

(971) 678-5210
http://howardlewisship.com

Re: Can we get rid of this annoying message?

Posted by Josh Canfield <jo...@gmail.com>.