Posted to user@commons.apache.org by A Mohamed Sarjoon <a....@ericsson.com.INVALID> on 2022/12/29 14:15:57 UTC

Apache Commons 4 release roadmap/ future plans

Hi Team,

I am Sarjoon from Ericsson India Global Private Limited, we are using commons collections in our product. As per our company's policy, it is advised to use an active open source library mainly for the reason that security vulnerabilities, if any reported, will be addressed at the earliest.

The lastest release of apache commons collections4 is on July 2019, Could you please share the roadmap/future plans for commons collections4 releases?  Also how any security vulnerabilities on the apache commons4 will be addressed?

Any details on the release plans will be of much help to us. Kindly help us by providing those details. Thanks in advance.

Regard,
Sarjoon

Re: [Text & Collections] sha512 issue?

Posted by po...@icloud.com.INVALID.
I’m not currently subscribed to the “dev”, but will do so. Thanks.

Posted by Gilles Sadowski <gi...@gmail.com>.
Le ven. 30 déc. 2022 à 20:53, <po...@icloud.com.invalid> a écrit :

> BTW: Some of the Apache Commons SHA download links include a properly formatted file such that, e.g. the shasum command in MacOS can perform the check automatically instead of having to eyeball the signature for a match. A concrete example of a properly formatted SHA file would be:
> 4c5e1b9c8430d5e198c666ebda094dda0fdf6bd62a06884c35d07cbe53f6156dc0a6d46ff8b00e9c01079b908ea5636d3888d8efc703afc5afdcc1cdb5c5af2c  commons-text-1.10.0-bin.tar.gz
>
> and not just as it is now:
> 4c5e1b9c8430d5e198c666ebda094dda0fdf6bd62a06884c35d07cbe53f6156dc0a6d46ff8b00e9c01079b908ea5636d3888d8efc703afc5afdcc1cdb5c5af2c
>
> That would help avoid errors.  Just a suggestion.

+1

See e.g.
   https://markmail.org/message/gph76xiapoqxqifr

Are you subscribed to the "dev" ML?
It's the place for such discussions, and, maybe, to agree on how
to modify the current templates/plugins so that that file is generated
as part of the release process.

Regards,
Gilles

> [...]

Re: [Text & Collections] sha512 issue?

Posted by po...@icloud.com.INVALID.
BTW: Some of the Apache Commons SHA download links include a properly formatted file such that, e.g. the shasum command in MacOS can perform the check automatically instead of having to eyeball the signature for a match. A concrete example of a properly formatted SHA file would be:
4c5e1b9c8430d5e198c666ebda094dda0fdf6bd62a06884c35d07cbe53f6156dc0a6d46ff8b00e9c01079b908ea5636d3888d8efc703afc5afdcc1cdb5c5af2c  commons-text-1.10.0-bin.tar.gz

and not just as it is now:
4c5e1b9c8430d5e198c666ebda094dda0fdf6bd62a06884c35d07cbe53f6156dc0a6d46ff8b00e9c01079b908ea5636d3888d8efc703afc5afdcc1cdb5c5af2c

That would help avoid errors.  Just a suggestion. (And of course I could just do that manually to the downloaded SHA file…)

Regards
Pete

Posted by Gilles Sadowski <gi...@gmail.com>.
Hi.

Posted by Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com>.
I think you're just going to a third party mirror through the dlcdn name?

What matters is what is on our servers at
https://archive.apache.org/dist/commons/collections/ as sebb point is out.

Gary

Posted by Gilles Sadowski <gi...@gmail.com>.
Le ven. 30 déc. 2022 à 19:02, sebb <se...@gmail.com> a écrit :

> On Fri, 30 Dec 2022 at 16:55, Gilles Sadowski <gi...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > Le ven. 30 déc. 2022 à 17:29, Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com> a écrit :
> > >
> > > That's the download page, not what you are downloading. What URL are
> > > you actually using for the files.
> >
> > I confirm that
> >   https://dlcdn.apache.org//commons/collections/binaries/commons-collections4-4.4-bin.tar.gz
> > does not match the checksum in
> >   https://www.apache.org/dist/commons/collections/binaries/commons-collections4-4.4-bin.tar.gz.sha512
> > (both links taken from the "download_collections.cgi" page).
>
> Works OK for me; I get sha512 of
>
> 678068a958aed983926a8852b25470ab1dcce637856f85e3b3f07fae28b25da6f2326b87d123395c4f531abfc88b74f847dbcaba9a71824adab6d52ca2568395

Me too; sorry (I was checking the wrong file) for the noise.
I've now checked all 4 files on the download page. No problem.

Regards,
Gilles

Re: [Text & Collections] sha512 issue?

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Gilles Sadowski <gi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com>.
Hello Pete,

Re: Apache Commons 4 release roadmap/ future plans

Posted by Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com>.
The Commons Collections' upcoming 4.5 main feature will be the
addition of Bloom filters. We can consider a release whenever that's
considered fully baked.

Gary

Posted by Gilles Sadowski <gi...@gmail.com>.
Hello.

Le jeu. 29 déc. 2022 à 19:22, A Mohamed Sarjoon
<a....@ericsson.com.invalid> a écrit :

> Hi Team,
>
> I am Sarjoon from Ericsson India Global Private Limited, we are using commons collections in our product. As per our company's policy, it is advised to use an active open source library mainly for the reason that security vulnerabilities, if any reported, will be addressed at the earliest.

This is what happens at the ASF, in general:  Non-active projects
are retired and vulnerabilities are addressed.

> The lastest release of apache commons collections4 is on July 2019, Could you please share the roadmap/future plans for commons collections4 releases?

As the project's contributors are all volunteers, there is no strict roadmap.
A release happens when someone deems it necessary, and puts in the
necessary work to make it happen.

> Also how any security vulnerabilities on the apache commons4 will be addressed?

There is no such thing as "commons4"; the "Commons" project provides
several components.  They are listed at
    https://commons.apache.org/

Security information is here:
    https://commons.apache.org/security.html

> Any details on the release plans will be of much help to us. Kindly help us by providing those details. Thanks in advance.

Wouldn't it be helpful if you'd provide a detailed list of requirements
for a programming project to be tagged as an "active open source
library"?

Regards,
Gilles