Posted to docs@httpd.apache.org by Rodent of Unusual Size <Ke...@Golux.Com> on 2003/01/02 05:46:08 UTC

[STATUS] (httpd-docs-2.0) Wed Jan 1 23:46:08 EST 2003

Apache HTTP Server 2.1 Documentation Status File.
Last modified: $Date: 2002/12/16 03:13:36 $

If you are interested in helping accomplish some of the tasks on this
list or otherwise improving the documentation, please join the
apache-docs mailing list by mailing to docs-subscribe@httpd.apache.org

For more information on how to contribute to the Apache Documentation
Project, please see http://httpd.apache.org/docs-project/, and
http://apache-server.com/tutorials/ATdocs-project.html for an excellent
tutorial on how to get started with making your contribution.

              ------------------------------

Things That Need Fixing
=======================

- Website
    - decide, whether to stick with httpd.apache.org/docs-x.y/
      scheme or choose another
      - /manual/x.y/
      - /x.y/manual/
      - ?

- XML
    - Rewriting of the remainder of the manual into xml is in
      progress.  See the bottom of this file for status info.
    - add ids to non-directive sections of the module docs, so they
      get a chance to be linked in the sidebar

- Windows platform docs are in desperate need of rewrites/updates for 2.0.
    - Bill Rowe and Bill Stoddard are good contacts for tech questions.
    - "using apache" has been done, "compiling apache" is still open

- New Auth system
    - Much clean-up and enhancement of aaa howto
    - Independent note on how to upgrade to new auth system

- Figure out what to do about the 2.0 FAQ
    - Copy important stuff from 1.3?
    - Some kind of XML?
    - Something that allows dynamic contributions from users a la
      FAQ-O-Matic?  (I don't think any really good software exists
      for this.)

- modules docs
    - mod_suexec: very little documentation
    - mod_proxy: updates for 2.0
    - mod_status: updates for 2.0
    - mod_example: updates for 2.0

- man pages
    - Convert from nroff to our xml format.  See list at bottom.
    - Then if someone gets creative, they can try to find an automatic
      way to convert back to nroff.
      - An example: http://cyberelk.net/tim/data/xmlto/db2man/
        This is designed for docbook, but it could be adapted.
        I'm not sure what the license is.

- MPM documentation
     - Non unix/windows MPMs still need to be completed.
     - the perchild directives in threaded/worker need docs
       - both in progress --nd

     - explain what the following command line options do
       (perhaps in the developer/debugging docs):
        -D DEBUG
        -D ONE_PROCESS
              one-process-mode == no threads, i.e. only one
              process handling the requests in a single loop?
        -D NO_DETACH (not in every MPM avail.)
              no daemon, but detached from terminal?
        -D FOREGROUND (not in every MPM avail.)
              ?

- Individual docs will need some cleanup.
     - misc/custom_errordocs.html needs to be updated to
       essentially describe how the international error
       docs included in 2.0 work
     - misc/perf-tuning.html - needs major rewrite for 2.0
     - misc/tutorials.html - mostly not relevant to 2.0
     - misc/stopping.html
     - misc/rewriteguide.html - needs cleaning in 1.3 and 2.0
     - misc/known_client_problems.html - mostly ancient
     - platform/ebcdic.xml - needs major rework for 2.0

- New build process.
    - install.html has had a first-pass rewrite, it is basically
      accurate, but very incomplete.

- API documentation

- Several features in Apache require write-access to the filesystem.
    Examples: CacheRoot, DavLockDB, ScriptLog
    We should treat the things consistently in the docs, and perhaps
    suggest the use of directory like /usr/local/apache2/var/ that is
    httpd-writable.

- Translations
    There are several efforts underway to translate the documentation
    into other languages. A detailed list of the currently known
    translators (and the corresponding websites) can be found at

    http://httpd.apache.org/docs-project/translations.html

Documentation improvements
==========================

* New user docs: Directory Handling (mod_dir/mod_autoindex/etc)

* Enhancements to the DTD/XSL:
  - <glossary> tag that links to the glossary and uses some special
    style in the css.
  - New index: directives by context, including listing which directives
    are available for each AllowOverride setting.
  - New index: backout modules by type (aaa, mappers, loggers etc.)
    probably by introducing a <category> element in modulesynopsis
  - Use a tag like <var> in place of <em> for things like the
    <syntax> listing.
    - in progress
  - add letter links to glossary and quickreference,
    perhaps also a term overview (sidebar)
  - cross references between the different languages,
    at least links from non-en docs to the originals.
    - Javascript?
    - post processing (s&r, XML::Parser, ...)?
    - pre processing ([kind of] type maps
      generated from sitemap entries like:
    - looking for other good ideas ;-)
    same effect.
  - need to add new <parentdocument> element to more docs

* Autogeneration of PDF
  - FOP?

* Windows help file
  - David Shane Holden was working on this

* Improving the "security docs"
  - More content and better organisation.
    - mod_dav ressources are owned by the httpd

* General cleaning and improving of module docs

* Making the directive definitions "less terse" (i.e., adding more
  examples and details to the definitions of the directives)

  - We'll need to audit these and find out which ones need munging, as
    some of it looks ok.  --jsl

* Making site-specific enhancements easier, including a documented
  and robust way for 3P module docco to be added -- and have it
  survive a server docco upgrade

  - This could be something a simple and hackish as a manual/extra/
    directory (a la the 1.3 src/modules/extra/ directory) and a
    script in the support directory that scans the files there and
    updates the manual indices.  (We do something like that now for
    httpd.conf file with apxs [LoadModule, etc.].)

XML Conversions
===============

The following files need to be converted to XML as described at
http://httpd.apache.org/docs-project/docsformat.html

index.html.en                      # leave in html?
howto/auth.html.en
misc/custom_errordocs.html         # obsolete?
misc/descriptors.html              # obsolete?
misc/fin_wait_2.html               # obsolete?
misc/known_client_problems.html    # obsolete?
misc/tutorials.html                # obsolete?
expand.pl                          # delete after finishing everything

# These will require manual.xsl changes
faq/footer.html
faq/header.html
faq/index.html
faq/support.html

# Perhaps these should be left in html to allow the developers to
# play with them
developer/API.html
developer/debugging.html
developer/documenting.html
developer/filters.html
developer/footer.html
developer/header.html
developer/hooks.html
developer/index.html
developer/layeredio.html
developer/request.html
developer/thread_safety.html
developer/modules.html.en

# converting from nroff to xml
programs/ab.html
programs/apxs.html
programs/dbmmanage.html
programs/footer.html
programs/header.html
programs/htdigest.html
programs/htpasswd.html
programs/index.html
programs/logresolve.html
programs/other.html
programs/rotatelogs.html
programs/suexec.html

Re: apachehelp.org How-To Documents

Posted by Kyle Hamilton <wi...@sbcglobal.net>.
yea I know :-) Im basicly just trying to get things roleing to get people to
write docs for total newbes
-Kyle
Posted by Cliff Woolley <jw...@virginia.edu>.
On Sun, 5 Jan 2003, Kyle Hamilton wrote:

> that was what I was thinking about doing but right now im just trying to
> get people to help me write them and such

Honestly, the easiest way to get people around here to help with something
is usually to just start doing it.  People are more likely to jump in and
help on an existing effort than on something brand new.

I don't mean to say "don't bother asking, just go write them yourself"...
rather, I'm saying that if nobody happens to step up to the plate right
away, don't let that discourage you, and don't think that means we aren't
noticing your efforts.  I look forward to seeing what you come up with!
:)

Thanks,
Cliff

Re: apachehelp.org How-To Documents

Posted by Kyle Hamilton <wi...@sbcglobal.net>.
www.kylehamilton.net
Posted by Cliff Woolley <jw...@virginia.edu>.

Posted by Rich Bowen <rb...@rcbowen.com>.

apachehelp.org How-To Documents

Posted by Kyle Hamilton <wi...@sbcglobal.net>.

kyle@kylehamilton.net

Re: apachehelp.org

Posted by Rich Bowen <rb...@rcbowen.com>.
On Sat, 4 Jan 2003, Kyle Hamilton wrote:

> Sorry again still sort of new at this
> 1. no this is not a commercial venture this is just something I thought that
> was needed
> 2. This will be differnt because it will be a central place to go for
> infomation were people can just look up a easyer how to then haveing to go
> though a manual or ask a question on the email list
> 3. im just trying to make apache a little bit easyer for the basic user
> thats my whole goal

This is a very good goal. It's the goal that I've had for the last
several years as a member of the documentation effort. We'd be delighted
to have this effort turned towards the official documentation, rather
than a parallel site, if you could see this as a valuable way to spend
your time. There's an ongoing effort to write howto-type documents,
which go in the /howto/ folder in the documentation
(http://httpd.apache.org/docs/howto/ and
http://httpd.apache.org/docs-2.0/howto/) and there are already a few
docs in there in that style. We really do intend to gear the
documentation to the basic user - at least, I do - while having it also
cater to the advanced user by providing the gory details when
appropriate.

I don't want at all to disparage your effort. I tend to believe that we
can't have too much documentation. But I would like to respectfully
encourage you to redirect some of your effort towards the official docs,
at least insofar as telling us where and how they fail to meet the
objectives that you have set for your site, so that we can attempt to
rectify those shortcomings.

Thanks.

--
Rich - rbowen@apache.org
http://httpd.apache.org/docs-project/

Re: apachehelp.org

Posted by Cliff Woolley <jw...@virginia.edu>.

Re: apachehelp.org

Posted by Rich Bowen <rb...@rcbowen.com>.

Re: apachehelp.org

Posted by Kyle Hamilton <wi...@sbcglobal.net>.

Re: apachehelp.org

Posted by Jerry Ford <je...@katzenjammer.us>.
Let he/she who is without sin cast the first flaming e-mail: "without an
'c' " should be without *a* 'c'  :)

Re: apachehelp.org

Posted by Jan Faerber <ja...@chello.at>.

Re: apachehelp.org

Posted by Rich Bowen <rb...@rcbowen.com>.

Re: [STATUS] (httpd-docs-2.0) Wed Jan 1 23:46:08 EST 2003

Posted by Kyle Hamilton <wi...@sbcglobal.net>.

Posted by Rich Bowen <rb...@rcbowen.com>.
On Wed, 1 Jan 2003, Kyle Hamilton wrote:

> Anyone want to make a Help Web site for apache users?
> www.apachehelp.org

Um. How is this different from the Apache documentation? Isn't that
what we're already striving to do?

ReefKnot - http://www.reefknot.org

Re: [STATUS] (httpd-docs-2.0) Wed Jan 1 23:46:08 EST 2003

Posted by Kyle Hamilton <wi...@sbcglobal.net>.