Posted to users@cocoon.apache.org by Russell Castagnaro <ru...@4charity.com> on 2001/10/17 01:51:09 UTC

Re[2]: C2.0: connection pool/ datasource problem

Aloha Gary,

I am loading the class in the initargs.  I did not rename the
classes12.zip to jar, but it doesn't work for mysql either, which is
in a jar.

I've placed the JDBC files (zip and jar) in the common/lib directory
in tomcat 4.0  could this be the problem?

Thanks

Tuesday, October 16, 2001, 8:56:45 AM, you wrote:

GGGM> Do you have the Oracle JDBC driver class defined in the Cocoon
GGGM> WEB-INF/web.xml file?

GGGM> Mine has
GGGM>     .
GGGM>     .
GGGM>     .
GGGM>     <init-param>
GGGM>       <param-name>load-class</param-name>
GGGM>       <param-value>
GGGM>         <!-- For IBM WebSphere:
GGGM>         com.ibm.servlet.classloader.Handler -->

GGGM>         <!-- For Database Driver: -->
GGGM>         oracle.jdbc.driver.OracleDriver

GGGM>         <!-- For parent ComponentManager sample:
GGGM>         org.apache.cocoon.samples.parentcm.Configurator
GGGM>         -->
GGGM>       </param-value>
GGGM>     </init-param>
GGGM>     .
GGGM>     .
GGGM>     .

GGGM> and I have placed classes12.zip, *renamed to classes12.jar*, in the
GGGM> CATALINA_HOME/common/lib directory.

GGGM> You should also see success (or failure, in your case) indications wrt the
GGGM> JDBC connections in the WEB-INF/logs/cocoon.log file.

GGGM> -----Original Message-----
GGGM> From: Russell Castagnaro [mailto:russell@castagnaro.com]
GGGM> Sent: Tuesday, October 16, 2001 1:21 PM
GGGM> To: cocoon-users@xml.apache.org
GGGM> Subject: C2.0: connection pool/ datasource problem

GGGM> Aloha folks,

GGGM> I'm having a strange problem with C2 for All db connections

GGGM> I've tried using mysql and oracle and they both have the same
GGGM> problem..

GGGM> I'm preloading the driver classes and I've tested my db connections.
GGGM> The error I get when using the esql taglib is:

GGGM> org.apache.cocoon.ProcessingException: Exception in
GGGM> ServerPagesGenerator.generate():
GGGM> java.lang.RuntimeException: Could not get the datasource
GGGM> java.sql.SQLException:
GGGM> There are no connections in the pool, check your settings.
GGGM> at
GGGM> org.apache.cocoon.generation.ServerPagesGenerator.generate(ServerPagesGenera
GGGM> tor.java:187)
GGGM> at
GGGM> org.apache.cocoon.components.pipeline.CachingEventPipeline.process(CachingEv
GGGM> entPipeline.java:214)
GGGM> at
GGGM> org.apache.cocoon.components.pipeline.CachingStreamPipeline.process(CachingS
GGGM> treamPipeline.java:364)
GGGM> at
GGGM> org.apache.cocoon.www.sitemap_xmap.wildcardMatchN40043E(sitemap_xmap.java:57
GGGM> 40)
GGGM> at org.apache.cocoon.www.sitemap_xmap.process(sitemap_xmap.java:2593)
GGGM> at org.apache.cocoon.www.sitemap_xmap.process(sitemap_xmap.java:2205)
GGGM> at org.apache.cocoon.sitemap.Handler.process(Handler.java:163)

GGGM> Why wouldn't any connections be available?

GGGM> I'm using:

GGGM>   <datasources>
GGGM>     <jdbc name="fun">
GGGM>       <pool-controller min="5" max="10" oradb="true"/>
GGGM>       <dburl>jdbc:oracle:thin:@localhost:1521:ORCL</dburl>
GGGM>       <user>scott</user>
GGGM>       <password>tiger</password>
GGGM>     </jdbc>

GGGM>     and
GGGM> <?xml version="1.0" encoding="ISO-8859-1"?>

GGGM> <xsp:page
GGGM>           language="java"
GGGM>           xmlns:xsp="http://apache.org/xsp"
GGGM>           xmlns:esql="http://apache.org/cocoon/SQL/v2"

GGGM>   <page>
GGGM>    <title>A Database Driven XSP Page</title>
GGGM>    <content>

GGGM>    <esql:connection>
GGGM>      <esql:pool>fun</esql:pool>
GGGM>      <esql:execute-query>
GGGM>        <esql:query>Select * from EMP</esql:query>
GGGM>        <esql:results>
GGGM>          <esql:row-results>
GGGM>            <para><esql:get-string column="ename"/></para>
GGGM>            <esql:get-columns/>
GGGM>          </esql:row-results>
GGGM>        </esql:results>
GGGM>      </esql:execute-query>
GGGM>    </esql:connection>

GGGM>    </content>
GGGM>   </page>
GGGM> </xsp:page>
GGGM> </xsp:page>

GGGM> any ideas??

--
Mahalo,
 Russell                            mailto:russell@4charity.com

4Charity - Changing the world,
 one click at a time.

Re: C2.0: connection pool/ datasource problem

Posted by Berin Loritsch <bl...@apache.org>.
Russell Castagnaro wrote:

> Aloha Gary,
>
> I am loading the class in the initargs.  I did not rename the
> classes12.zip to jar, but it doesn't work for mysql either, which is
> in a jar.
>
> I've placed the JDBC files (zip and jar) in the common/lib directory
> in tomcat 4.0  could this be the problem?

Yes.  The only way to guarantee the JAR is in the correct path is to
place it in $JAVA_HOME/jre/lib/ext (${ext.dir}), reference it in
$CLASSPATH, or place it in ${context}/WEB-INF/lib.  Also, some parsers
mistakenly remove ALL the whitespace in the "load-class" parameter,
so a comma will work to make sure the classes are treated separately.

If you have a parser that removes all whitespace, you will have an
entry at the top of your log file like this:

Could not load class: com.ibm.servlet.classloader.Handleroracle.jdbc.driver.OracleDriver

In that case adding a comma after "com.ibm.servlet.classloader.Handler"
is all you need to do.