Posted to dev@vcl.apache.org by Matt Hogstrom <ma...@hogstrom.org> on 2009/04/03 21:48:28 UTC

Question about project names, trademarks and best practices

Back in November of last year we accepted a project into the Apache
Incubator which is called Virtual Computing Lab (VCL).  The initial
code base was donated by North Carolina State University and assigned
to the ASF and is located at http://svn.apache.org/repos/incubator/asf/vcl
.

A question was raised on the dev list about the vailidity of the use
of the name VCL for the Apache Incubator project because there is some
overlap with the use of that term at NC State.  The project existed at
NC State and has a fairly well known name called VCL (see http://vcl.ncsu.edu/)
.  Since NC State has assigned the code to Apache and the name of the
project carries the same name what are the legal concerns about this
relationship?

At this point NC State is no longer doing any development of VCL at NC
State but has moved development to Apache and has contributors from a
number of universities that currently use the project and have
familiarity with the code and the "brand" of the project.  The
community would like to maintain the name because of the goodwill it
has at existing deployments.

I'd like to get some feedback, both legal and otherwise, for the
project.  The team is interested in releasing its first Apache
Incubator release and the name issue needs to be resolved.

Thanks

Matt

Re: Question about project names, trademarks and best practices

Posted by Craig L Russell <Cr...@Sun.COM>.
On Apr 3, 2009, at 12:48 PM, Matt Hogstrom wrote:

> Back in November of last year we accepted a project into the Apache
> Incubator which is called Virtual Computing Lab (VCL).  The initial
> code base was donated by North Carolina State University and
> assigned to the ASF and is located at http://svn.apache.org/repos/incubator/asf/vcl
> .
>
> A question was raised on the dev list about the vailidity of the use
> of the name VCL for the Apache Incubator project because there is
> some overlap with the use of that term at NC State.  The project
> existed at NC State and has a fairly well known name called VCL (see http://vcl.ncsu.edu/)
> .  Since NC State has assigned the code to Apache and the name of
> the project carries the same name what are the legal concerns about
> this relationship?
>
> At this point NC State is no longer doing any development of VCL at
> NC State but has moved development to Apache and has contributors
> from a number of universities that currently use the project and
> have familiarity with the code and the "brand" of the project.  The
> community would like to maintain the name because of the goodwill it
> has at existing deployments.

If development of VCL has really moved from NCSU, there is no
indication of it on the VCL home page you referenced above http://vcl.ncsu.edu/

Wikipedia has a disambiguation page http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VCL
that makes no mention of Apache or NCSU.

But there are two software projects listed on wikipedia that use the
acronym:
	• Visual Class Library is the rendering and widget library for
OpenOffice.org.
	• Visual Component Library is a computer programming library produced
by Borland for program development under Microsoft Windows.

If you want to continue to use VCL, I'd recommend asking NCSU to make
more obvious their donation to Apache and their intent to donate not
only the code but the name. This would allow us to claim historic use
of the name. If not, find another name.

Craig

> I'd like to get some feedback, both legal and otherwise, for the
> project.  The team is interested in releasing its first Apache
> Incubator release and the name issue needs to be resolved.
>
> Thanks
>
> Matt

Craig L Russell
408 276-5638 mailto:Craig.Russell@sun.com