Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Apache Wiki <wi...@apache.org> on 2005/08/22 14:37:58 UTC

[Jakarta-commons Wiki] Update of "TheSandbox" by StephenColebourne

Dear Wiki user,

The following page has been changed by StephenColebourne:
http://wiki.apache.org/jakarta-commons/TheSandbox

The comment on the change is:
Add some comments about various projects

  ||'''Component'''||'''State'''||'''Plan'''||
  ||Cache||Published||||
- ||Clazz||Published||no community, code stable.||
- ||Compress||Published||code extracted from Ant, currently dormant.||
- ||CommonsConvert||Published||various conversion ideas extracted from BeanUtils, currently in development.||
- ||Events||Published||currently in slow development.||
- ||Functor||Published||||
- ||Id||Published||parts from Lang, parts new, currently in-development.||
+ ||Clazz||Published||Dormant, no clear use case, no community, stable code. Was too complex for many (who could use DynaBean), and not complex enough for others (who needed a Java syntax tree as found in Eclipse/Netbeans)||
+ ||Compress||Published||Dormant, no current community, code extracted from Ant.||
+ ||CommonsConvert||Published||Development intended, strong use case. Various conversion ideas extracted from BeanUtils.||
+ ||Events||Published||Dormant, no current community.||
+ ||Functor||Published||Dormant, no current community, stable code.||
+ ||Id||Published||In development, promotion target, strong use case, stable code. Parts from Lang, parts new.||
  ||JJar||Published||ready to die as superseded by Apache Depot.||
  ||Mapper||Published||||
  ||Messenger||Published||||
@@ -40, +40 @@

  ||Jex||Unpublished||||
  ||Launcher||Unpublished||||
  ||Periodicity||Unpublished||||
- ||Reflect||Unpublished||extracted from BeanUtils, but unfinished and in a coma.||
+ ||Reflect||Unpublished||Extracted from BeanUtils, but unfinished and in a coma. Proved to difficult to test across JVMs and for little benefit.||
  ||Servlet||Unpublished||not enough here to justify a component||
  ||Threading||Unpublished||migrated over from Avalon Excalibur. Currently inactive.||
  ||xo||Unpublished||XML to Bean mapper.||

Re: [Jakarta-commons Wiki] Update of "TheSandbox" by StephenColebourne

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>.
Continuing down a similar path as we intend to follow with JCI and Exec,
some folks at Maven might like to pick up on this one. I had no idea
this existed until recently, but it seems we are using code derived from
the same place (Avalon).

No promises on time though :)

We've called it plexus-archiver. Anyone object to a rename to
commons-archiver? Compress is a bit misleading when you are dealing with
uncompressed jars and tars.

Cheers,
Brett