Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by SM <sm...@resistor.net> on 2009/10/01 07:32:46 UTC

Re: Hostkarma: to be or not to be in SA defaults

Hi Marc,
At 09:32 30-09-2009, Marc Perkel wrote:
>I have a lot of mighty servers set up ad have servers at 4
>locations. I have 50mb bought and using about 30 of it now. I am not
>sure what it takes to support a default SA inclusion. Does anyone
>know if what I described sounds like it is enough?

They can still be a soft target.  Most of the DNSBLs were unprepared
to deal with denial of service attacks.  Some of them have closed
down after an attack.  That can be a problem for users as most people
have a "configure and forget" setup or it's a default vendor setup.

The bandwidth may be enough for current usage.  The more mirrors you
have, the better.  If your DNSBL is effective, you might be able to
get help with that.  The "problems" with your setup is not worse than
other resources that are commonly used by users from this mailing list.

Someone pointed out that it's not a good idea to do more DNS lookups
as it affects the performance of SpamAssassin.  It does not matter
whether your DNSBL is included in the default configuration as people
will use it if they believe that it is effective in stopping
spam.  If you are concerned about marketing, then it may matter to you. :-)

Regards,
-sm

Re: Hostkarma: to be or not to be in SA defaults

Posted by Michael Monnerie <mi...@is.it-management.at>.
On Donnerstag 01 Oktober 2009 Marc Perkel wrote:
> I guess that if HOSTKARMA were included in the default build then I
> will need more mirrors to handle the load.

If that is wanted, I could talk to ISPs for hosting such DNS here in
Austria. After all, we are all getting advantages from this, and as long
as it's a free service, I can offer free mirrors.

mfg zmi
// Tel: 0660 / 415 65 31                      .network.your.ideas.
// Keyserver: wwwkeys.eu.pgp.net                  Key-ID: 1C1209B4

Re: Hostkarma: to be or not to be in SA defaults

Posted by Marc Perkel <ma...@perkel.com>.