Posted to dev@myfaces.apache.org by Vitaliy Shevchuk <sh...@users.sourceforge.net> on 2005/11/07 15:25:28 UTC

Better integration of AjaxAnywhere and MyFaces

Hi,

I'm the creator of AjaxAnywhere (http://ajaxanywhere.sourceforge.net) , an
Apache 2 licensed solution for partial page refresh that turns any set of
existing JSP or JSF components into AJAX-aware components without complex
JavaScript coding. It also provides a default graceful fallback possibility
to keep the application operational with older browsers.

Since the latest release, AjaxAnywhere includes a pure JSF implementation
for a partial page refresh. Since this point, we consider the project
interesting enough for the JSF world.

Would you be interested in some kind of collaboration/partnership between
our projects? Today AA is able to integrate into MyFaces application without
changing its Renderers, however some JavaScript tricks are still required.
What do you think of discussing MyFaces + AjaxAnywhere integration
possibilities? Of course, AjaxAnywhere is able to coexist with other AJAX
solutions.

For example: It's difficult to support client state saving with partial page
refresh; a new component that indicates where to save state on the client
page would be helpful.

Another example: adding more events/hooks/callbacks to allow third party
components intercepting user clicks inside MyFaces components.

Any feedback is welcome.

Thanks.
Vitaliy Shevchuk.

Re: Better integration of AjaxAnywhere and MyFaces

Posted by Martin Marinschek <ma...@gmail.com>.
Hi Vitaliy,

at 1: what do you mean by pluggable transport layer - the
representation of the data to send over?

Ideally, we wouldn't use innerHTML for anything - we have been hitting
severe restrictions with this in MyFaces, especially for TABLEs.

for controllers, I see a central controller which relates AJAX
requests to their counterparties. The question is, how we would
centrally handle the cases that we want either a counterparty in the
JSF implementation or outside of it via a servlet or filter.

MyFaces _does_ need a partial page refresh solution - AjaxAnywhere
would be welcome as such.

2. We should surely define pluggable extension points where an AJAX
framework can hook in. JSF is built on such extension points - it is
important to have such things for us as well.

2.1. you mean state-saving-method=server? MyFaces AJAX enabled
components usually support both methods - at least the postback of the
client side state is supported. Of course the field is not
standardized, but it will be in JSF1.2; at least there was a
suggestion like this to the spec group. So instead of this additional
component, we should revert to this component name instead.

2.2. I have no idea how to implement something like this - is there
anything like this in AJAXAnywhere already?

regards,

Martin

--

http://www.irian.at

Your JSF powerhouse -
JSF Consulting, Development and
Courses in English and German

Professional Support for Apache MyFaces

Re: Better integration of AjaxAnywhere and MyFaces

Posted by Martin Cooper <ma...@apache.org>.

Posted by Grant Smith <wo...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Martin Cooper <ma...@apache.org>.

Posted by Martin Marinschek <ma...@gmail.com>.