Posted to soap-user@ws.apache.org by "Zhang, Lei (L.)" <lz...@ford.com> on 2000/09/12 00:56:33 UTC

Applet communicate with SOAP

Hi,
Is there somebody who tried communication between applet and SOAP server
code?

Like the Addressbook, can we take input, say "John B. Good", from a applet.
Then send address information back to display on the applet. I think there
is a way to do it. But I don't know it.
We are developing a web-application using SOAP as our protocol.  Our servlet
methods work fine with SOAP as a application. Now we  are struggling with
communication with applet.

Any help would be highly appreciated.

Lei Zhang
GIRS Section
ITS Tools Development
Ford Systems Integration Center
phone:  313-621-7538  (temp)
fax:       313-845-3330
e-mail:  lzhang17@ford.com

"You're only here for a short visit.
Don't hurry. Don't worry.
And be sure to smell the flowers along the way."

Re: Applet communicate with SOAP

Posted by Cory Isaacson <ci...@capita2.com>.
I did a test and was able to make this work. I simply used HTTP calls from
within the Applet, and I included the soap.jar and xerces.jar in the applet
definition. The xerces.jar in particular is quite large and takes a while to
load, but it did work. I'm sure it would be possible to figure out just the
necessary classes and make a new jar which is much smaller.

Cory

Posted by Nathan Wray <nw...@mich.com>.
the applet must have been served from the same server you're contacting for SOAP
services due to security restrictions for applets.  The applet can only open
connections back to the originating server unless the applet is signed and is
allowed elevated privileges.  don't know if that helps.

--
Nathan Wray
nwray@mich.com

Re: Applet communicate with SOAP