Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Nick Wesselman <ni...@digivis.com> on 2002/07/12 19:40:37 UTC

too many open files

On a production Tomcat 4.0.3 site, we've had a couple crashes with "Too
many open files" errors. (Redhat 7.2)

If we run "lsof," one particular jsp file (the most popular on the site)
is listed many, many times--more than would be merited by the popularity
of this site. Why should Tomcat keep open so many file handles open to a
jsp file?

For now, we've upped the number of possible open files. But we only see
this as a temp solution. Does Jasper have a file handle leak?

Nick Wesselman
Digital Visions, Inc.

RE: Tomcat 4.1.7b / Apache httpd 2.0.39 connection how-to

Posted by Andrew Conrad <an...@msn.com>.
I have this configuration working, but that doesn't mean I did it
correctly.

Here goes:

1) Downloaded the mod_jk2.dll from
http://jakarta.apache.org/builds/jakarta-tomcat-connectors/jk2/nightly/w
in32/ and placed it in  ${APACHE2_HOME}/modules

2) Added 1 line to my httpd.conf file.

	LoadModule jk2_module modules/mod_jk2.dll

3) Downloaded the workers2.properties from
http://cvs.apache.org/viewcvs.cgi/jakarta-tomcat-connectors/jk/conf/ and
placed it in ${APACHE2_HOME}/conf    <---  stumbled a lot trying to
place it anywhere else.  The logs kept looking for it in this location,
and I couldn't use JkWorkersFile in my httpd.conf file to load it
anywhere else.

4) commented out a lot of lines in the workers2.properties file until it
loaded smoothly  ( very scientific aproach ) Particulary, I commented
out jni and unix sockets info.  Didn't know what to do with it anyways.

5) commented out the entire ${CATALINA_HOME}\conf\jk2.properties file

That's it.  It seems to work.  I'm waiting for an authoratative doc to
see if I configured it correctly.

I used the archives a bit, and this one I found helpful

http://www.mail-archive.com/tomcat-user@jakarta.apache.org/msg57438.html

Also, as long as you don't comment out the [uri:/jkstatus/*] section,
you can go here and get some helpful info

http://localhost/jkstatus

- Andrew