Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Kshipra Singh <ks...@packtpub.com> on 2010/07/07 10:54:53 UTC

Write Maven Books - Packt Publishing

Hi All,

I represent Packt Publishing, the publishers of computer related books.

We are planning to extend our range of Open Source books based on Java technology and are currently inviting authors interested in writing them. This doesn't require any past writing experience. All that we expect from our authors is a good subject knowlegde, a passion to share it with others and an ability to communicate clearly in English.

So, if you love Apache Maven and fancy writing a book, here's an opportunity for you! Send us your book ideas at author@packtpub.com and our editorial team will be happy to evaluate them. Even if you don't have a book idea and are simply interested in writing a book, we are still keen to hear from you.

Packt runs an Open Source royalty scheme so by writing for Packt you will be giving back to the Open Source Community.

More details about this opportunity are available at: http://authors.packtpub.com/content/calling-open-source-java-based-technology-enthusiasts-write-packt

Thanks
Kshipra Singh
Author Relationship Manager
Packt Publishing
www.PacktPub.com

Skype: kshiprasingh15
Twitter: http://twitter.com/packtauthors

Interested in becoming an author? Visit http://authors.packtpub.com for all the information you need about writing for Packt.

Re: Write Maven Books - Packt Publishing

Posted by Srirangan <sr...@gmail.com>.
Hey Ben,

I have yet to start with the book. I've only just finalized the outline and
schedule with the publisher and signed the contract. I will begin working on
it full-time couple of weeks from now as I find a way to ease myself out of
my current project.

Your experience of migrating to Maven 3 from Maven 2 will surely be
valuable. I think we can get in touch once I start working on specific
chapters, I would definitely want to learn from your experience.

Thanks,
Sri

Posted by Benjamin Wootton <be...@loyaltyspace.com>.
Hi Srirangan

I would be very interested in this - have been considering a maven 3 title and the cookbook style works well. I'm currently converting a huge maven 2 project to version 3 focusing on tests, intrgration tests, meter, static analysis.

Where are you up to with your book and any areas in particular where you need help?

Thanks
Ben

Sent from my iPhone

Posted by Srirangan <sr...@gmail.com>.
Hey,

Re: Write Maven Books

Posted by Michael Hüttermann <mi...@huettermann.net>.
Hello,

Am Mittwoch, den 07.07.2010, 14:00 +0200 schrieb Ron Wheeler
> A book on the subject will also have to touch on IDE integration, source

> management, maven repositories, continuous integration and other
> development areas.
>
> I would like to see a book targeted at the 80% of developers who should
> be using these tools "out of the box" with no custom plug-ins or custom
> setups.
> Discussing the odd-ball cases would only make Maven more confusing.

You may find "Agile ALM" very useful: http://www.manning.com/huettermann/

Maven is a major, leading tool in this book. The intention of this book is
pretty similar to what you've described.

Regards
Michael

--
-Java Champion-
michael@huettermann.net

Re: Write Maven Books - Packt Publishing

Posted by Martin Höller <ma...@xss.co.at>.
Am Mittwoch, 7. Juli 2010 15:48:29 schrieb Ron Wheeler:
> On 07/07/2010 8:55 AM, Martin Höller wrote:
> > Hi Ron!

> >> There is a desperate need for a "Best Practice" book.
> >
> > There is one already from Brett Porter and Maria Odea Ching:
> > https://www.packtpub.com/apache-maven-2-effective-implementations/book
> >
> > I'd say it's a fairly good book.
> >
> > hth,
> > - martin
>
> Is it a How-to book or a "Best Practice" book.

Kind of a mix. It uses a single app to show you how to accomplish things and
it uses best practices to do so. Quite often it does not dive too deep into
the subject but therefore you get a good overview very quickly.

Actually I didn't read the whole book yet, but read the first few chapters and
use it as a reference for special problems that arise.

hth,
- martin

Re: Write Maven Books - Packt Publishing

Posted by Ron Wheeler <rw...@artifact-software.com>.
On 07/07/2010 8:55 AM, Martin Höller wrote:
> Hi Ron!
>
> Am Mittwoch, 7. Juli 2010 14:00:22 schrieb Ron Wheeler:
>
>> On 07/07/2010 5:19 AM, Benjamin Wootton wrote:
>>
>>> Would anyone be interested in teaming up on something like this? Have
>>> thought about pitching a maven book before but don't have the cycles to
>>> go it alone....
>>>
>> There is a desperate need for a "Best Practice" book.
>>
> There is one already from Brett Porter and Maria Odea Ching:
> https://www.packtpub.com/apache-maven-2-effective-implementations/book
>
> I'd say it's a fairly good book.
>
> hth,
> - martin

Is it a How-to book or a "Best Practice" book.
The description on the link seems to indicate that it is a "How-To" but
it does mention that it teaches best practices.
It says that it follows a single application through an entire cycle.
Does it discuss alternative approaches and explain how the "best"
approach needs to be adapted to handle different development situations
(team size, project size, IDE, technology stack, etc).

I am looking for a Best Practice book that does not spend a lot of time
explaining how to install software or teaching concepts that are covered
in the documentation.
For example, it would discuss Dependency Management from the 30,000 foot
level. In that section, it would talk about how to sensibly organize
your libraries so that Maven can build and test modules using standard
plug-ins in a standard lifecycle.
More of a project manager's book than a programmers book. The reader
should be able to write the corporate software development handbook
after reading this.

Ron

Re: Write Maven Books - Packt Publishing

Posted by Martin Höller <ma...@xss.co.at>.
Hi Ron!

Posted by Ron Wheeler <rw...@artifact-software.com>.
On 07/07/2010 9:42 AM, Gorham-Engard, Frank wrote:
> I would like to unsubscribe from the "Maven Book Writer's List" without leaving the "Maven Users List".
> Is this possible?

No but you could add a filter to remove posts that include "book" in the
subject and that would remove some of the topics that don't interest you.
The best alternative is not just ignore the posts that you don't feel
fit your mood of the day or address problems that you are having.

The book discussion reappears regularly and reflects a need and an
interest in improving the rate of adoption of Maven.

Ron

Posted by Srirangan <sr...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, Jul 7, 2010 at 7:12 PM, Gorham-Engard, Frank <
Frank_Gorham-Engard@cable.comcast.com> wrote:

> I would like to unsubscribe from the "Maven Book Writer's List" without
> leaving the "Maven Users List".
> Is this possible?

LOL.. Sorry for my share of spam.. :-P

RE: Write Maven Books - Packt Publishing

Posted by Andrew Close <ac...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Ron Wheeler <rw...@artifact-software.com>.

Posted by Benjamin Wootton <be...@loyaltyspace.com>.

Posted by asookazian <as...@gmail.com>.
I wrote a review on the Packt Maven book:
http://books.dzone.com/reviews/apache-maven-2-effective

I am not a big fan of Packt books.  I like O'Reilly and Manning mostly.

Anyways, it would be nice if this new best practices book also covered how
to create a custom lifecycle (and when, why, etc.).

Designing with a hierarchical structure (parent POMs), POM/modules, how to
speed up your builds, how to deal with corrupted repositories, best ways to
write plugins, etc.

What's new in Maven 3 (e.g., writing pom.groovy), Maven shell, etc. and how
to incorporate into daily builds.

Best ways to integrate with Ant via maven-antrun-plugin or an Ant build.xml
using <macrodef> to hook into mvn lifecycle builds.

When and why to use and integrate with CI (e.g. Continuum) servers.

How, why and when to use profiles; settings.xml envmt config.

POM refactoring.

some of this is covered in the Packt book (refactoring and best practices
IIRC).