Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by mo...@comcast.net on 2017/01/06 01:22:45 UTC

basic logging info

Newbie Tomcat user here. I installed Tomcat 8.5.9 on CentOS 7 a few days ago and noticed the default log files for catalina, host-manager, localhost, and manager are created fresh each day with a date in their filename.

Doesn't this fill up the directory over time? Wouldn't it be better to have the logs accumulate in one file for some time?

Can someone set my expectations what the default logging behavior is, then recommend a general approach to configuring something more manageable (from a sheer number-of-files standpoint)?

Re: basic logging info

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.
On 06/01/2017 01:22, modjklist@comcast.net wrote:
> Newbie Tomcat user here. I installed Tomcat 8.5.9 on CentOS 7 a few
> days ago and noticed the default log files for catalina,
> host-manager, localhost, and manager are created fresh each day with
> a date in their filename.
>
> Doesn't this fill up the directory over time?

Yes.

> Wouldn't it be better
> to have the logs accumulate in one file for some time?

Then you'd just have one file getting bigger over time.

> Can someone set my expectations what the default logging behavior is,

One file per day.

> then recommend a general approach to configuring something more
> manageable (from a sheer number-of-files standpoint)?

Cron job to delete anything more than X days old.

Longer term, the FileHandler could be enhanced to add an option to
delete files more than X days old.

Mark