Posted to dev@harmony.apache.org by Tom van Dijck <to...@mudge.nl> on 2005/05/11 08:36:18 UTC

mudGE JavaVM.

Hi,

I'm new to the list after I received an email from Jason Hunter suggesting
to subscribe, and I have not yet taken the time to read all previous threads
so I'm sorry if I'm interrupting any discussions.

Anyway, after reading the press release I got very interested in this
project since for the last couple of months I've been writting a fully J2SE
compatible JavaVM, although without a JIT currently, it does executes all
bytecode compiled by the latest version of the sun compiler. I'm currently
working on the debugger interface for integration with eclipse.

Now, of course there are lost of other VM's out there so this one isn't
anything special, but it does follow the harmony.jpg design a great deal,
which is why I though sharing it might be of any use.
It is written fully from ground up, doesn't use any other GPL'ed code
anywhere, and runs on pretty much all platforms I've tested it on.
(Playstation2, Xbox, PC, Gamecube) One detail though is that since I'm using
it on game platforms and use it as a scripting engine, I have written a very
small and custom runtime, which doesn't follow any of the J2SE standards.

Well, uhm... I would be more then happy to share and learn, in case of
interest that is.

Tom van Dijck
Research & Development
Playlogic Game Factory
www.playlogicgames.com

Re: mudGE JavaVM.

Posted by "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@apache.org>.
On May 11, 2005, at 2:36 AM, Tom van Dijck wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm new to the list after I received an email from Jason Hunter
> suggesting
> to subscribe, and I have not yet taken the time to read all
> so I'm sorry if I'm interrupting any discussions.
>
> Anyway, after reading the press release I got very interested in this
> project since for the last couple of months I've been writting a
> fully J2SE
> compatible JavaVM, although without a JIT currently, it does
> executes all
> bytecode compiled by the latest version of the sun compiler. I'm
> currently
> working on the debugger interface for integration with eclipse.
>
> Now, of course there are lost of other VM's out there so this one
> isn't
> anything special, but it does follow the harmony.jpg design a great
> deal,

Ha!  And people were making fun of me!

Can you give a bit more info an how you designed it? (And then others
- Dalibor? - can do the same, so we can see how people are
approaching this problem...)

> which is why I though sharing it might be of any use.
> It is written fully from ground up, doesn't use any other GPL'ed code
> anywhere, and runs on pretty much all platforms I've tested it on.

What is it written in?

> (Playstation2, Xbox, PC, Gamecube) One detail though is that since
> I'm using
> it on game platforms and use it as a scripting engine, I have
> written a very
> small and custom runtime, which doesn't follow any of the J2SE
> standards.

That's fine.  I assume you mean the class library?  Here's a great
opportunity to see if we can connect this and GNUClasspath through a
BSD-ed interface so we can keep the license issues separate.

> Well, uhm... I would be more then happy to share and learn, in case of
> interest that is.

What are your interests in terms of making visible for examination?
You may not wish to OSS it right now, but more visibility into what's
out there is good.

geir

geirm@apache.org

Re: mudGE JavaVM.

Posted by Raffaele Castagno <ra...@gmail.com>.
2005/5/11, Davanum Srinivas <da...@gmail.com>:

> > It is written fully from ground up, doesn't use any other GPL'ed code
> > anywhere, and runs on pretty much all platforms I've tested it on.
> > (Playstation2, Xbox, PC, Gamecube) One detail though is that since I'm
> using

THAT'S good! A J2SE implementation wich runs on console platforms would be
very interesting, for game development...

Unfortunately, I'm not skilled about VM and low level programming, so I
think I'll not be able to give much help in the developing phase, but I'll
surely test the product as soon as there will be something working... (and
since you already have some working code, maybe this moment will come
soon...)

best regards

Raffaele

Raffaele

Re: mudGE JavaVM.

Posted by Davanum Srinivas <da...@gmail.com>.
Tom,

is the code available for browsing?

thanks,
dims

Re: mudGE JavaVM.

Posted by Ravi kiran Gorrepati <ra...@cs.unm.edu>.
On Wed, 11 May 2005 19:30:29 -0600, Peter Donald <pe...@realityforge.org>
wrote:

> Tom van Dijck wrote:
>> Now, of course there are lost of other VM's out there so this one isn't
>> anything special, but it does follow the harmony.jpg design a great
>> deal,
>> which is why I though sharing it might be of any use.
>> It is written fully from ground up, doesn't use any other GPL'ed code
>> anywhere, and runs on pretty much all platforms I've tested it on.
>> (Playstation2, Xbox, PC, Gamecube) One detail though is that since I'm
>> using
>> it on game platforms and use it as a scripting engine, I have written a
>> very
>> small and custom runtime, which doesn't follow any of the J2SE
>> standards.
>>  Well, uhm... I would be more then happy to share and learn, in case of
>> interest that is.
>
> neat!
>
> I am sure people would be more than interested in seeing the work you
> have done so far. It may help people get an  understanding of the
> requirements of a different platform or maybe useful as a base or
> something to integrate into another JVM.

On a similar note, there is a JVM I have heard of, called Joeq(pronounced
Jo-kyu)
It is mostly a one man project, and is GPL'ed, probably some one can
convince
him to release it under APL.

http://joeq.sourceforge.net/
--