Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Crystal Maramba <cm...@acumenllc.com> on 2013/12/04 23:47:14 UTC

Expire Sesssion

Version: Apache Tomcat 7.0.42
Server: 2008r2 Standard

How can I change the expired sessions in Tomcat Manager from 30 minutes to 480 minutes?

I think you can do it through the web.xml file located in \tomcat\conf\web.xml and then restart Tomcat.

Is there a difference if I change it in the \tomcat\conf location versus \tomcat\webapps\[web app name]\web-inf\web.xml location?

If I change the web.xml file in the \tomcat\conf\web.xml location will it override the web app location?

Re: Expire Sesssion

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.

Crystal,

On 12/5/13, 2:27 PM, Crystal Maramba wrote:

> -----Original Message----- From: Christopher Schultz
> [mailto:chris@christopherschultz.net] Sent: Thursday, December 05,
> 2013 10:36 AM To: Tomcat Users List Subject: Re: Expire Sesssion
>
> Crystal,
>
> On 12/5/13, 12:10 PM, Crystal Maramba wrote:
>

>> -----Original Message----- From: Igor Cicimov
>> [mailto:icicimov@gmail.com] Sent: Wednesday, December 04, 2013
>> 6:54 PM To: Tomcat Users List Subject: Re: Expire Sesssion
>
>> On 05/12/2013 9:47 AM, "Crystal Maramba"
>> <cm...@acumenllc.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Version: Apache Tomcat 7.0.42 Server: 2008r2 Standard
>>>
>>> How can I change the expired sessions in Tomcat Manager from 30
>>>  minutes
>> to 480 minutes?
>>>
>>> I think you can do it through the web.xml file located in
>> \tomcat\conf\web.xml and then restart Tomcat.
>>>
>>> Is there a difference if I change it in the \tomcat\conf
>>> location versus
>> \tomcat\webapps\[web app name]\web-inf\web.xml location?
>>>
>> First one will apply to all apps.
>
>>> If I change the web.xml file in the \tomcat\conf\web.xml
>>> location will it
>> override the web app location?
>>>
>> No.
>>>
>> Thanks for the response. Is there a way to do this through the
>> Tomcat manager without modifying tomcat web.xml config file?
>
> No. That could be added, but it would not persist across
> re-deployments or server restarts without some ... effort.
>
> -chris
>
> Ok, thank you. Any idea on how you would do that? I don't see a
> save button anywhere.

That's what I was saying: there is no "save" button because there's
nothing to save right now. It's a new feature that would have to be
added to the Manager app. I don't see any particular reason to
implement such a feature because modifying the web.xml is so trivial.

- -chris

RE: Expire Sesssion

Posted by Crystal Maramba <cm...@acumenllc.com>.

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.

Re: Expire Sesssion

Posted by Tomcat Random <to...@gmail.com>.
Crystal,

The properties file is just a standard java properties file. Really, it's
only a better option if you have other settings and want to consolidate
them there, along with your session expiration time.

If you can edit the web.xml and restart, and it's permanent, then I'd
recommend you just change the web.xml. If you want all your webapps to have
an expiration of 480, then change it in $CATALINA_HOME/conf, otherwise do
it in each webapps web.xml file as needed.

HTH,
Alec

RE: Expire Sesssion

Re: Expire Sesssion

Re: Expire Sesssion

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.

Re: Expire Sesssion

Posted by Tomcat Random <to...@gmail.com>.
Crystal,

At the risk of stating the obvious, you can also override the default
session timeout programmatically using HttpSession's method:

setMaxInactiveInterval(int interval)

-Alec

RE: Expire Sesssion

Posted by Crystal Maramba <cm...@acumenllc.com>.