Posted to ivy-dev@incubator.apache.org by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org> on 2007/06/11 04:30:30 UTC

Re: Steps toward graduation

On Thu, 7 Jun 2007, Xavier Hanin <xa...@gmail.com> wrote:

>      - The code base must contain only ASL or ASL-compatible
>      dependencies

In the case of the non-ASLed JavaScript stuff I'd like to see a
solution other than "we don't ship it" since legally having something
in svn means distributing it.

> Here is what I consider we still need to do:
>
>   - *Legal *
>      - Check of project name for trademark issues [A]
>

>   - *Meritocracy / Community *
>      - Release plans are developed and excuted in public by the
>      community. [B]

> [A] I don't know how this can be checked. Any idea?

If you use a search engine for "trademark search" you'll find several
national authorities.  Most of the time people seem content with
uspto.gov which only searches the US trademarks AFAICT.

For Ivy I find a "Ivy Graphics, Inc." in Massachusets.  Can't say
whether that would pose a problem or not.  You might be better servied
with asking on general since there are people more experienced with
trademark questions.

> [B] We have done one release in the incubator, but we have no
> current release plan.

I'm not sure this really is required since you had a plan before you
released alpha1.

> And here is what I don't clearly know what to think:
>
>   - *Meritocracy / Community *
>      - Demonstrate an active and diverse development community [A]
>      - The project is not highly dependent on any single contributor
>      (there are at least 3 legally independent committers and there
> is no single
>      company or entity that is vital to the success of the project)
>      [B]
>      - The above implies that new committers are admitted according
>      to ASF practices [C]
>      - Demonstrate ability to tolerate and resolve conflict within
>      the community. [D]
>      - Engagement by the incubated community with the other ASF
>      communities, particularly infrastructure@ (this reflects my
>      personal bias that projects should pay an nfrastructure
>      "tax"). [E]
>
> [A] From my point of view we demonstrate an active and diverse
> development community.

You do.

> [B] This point is difficult to evaluate for me. As the creator of
> the project, I have some knowledge of the code base and history of
> the project that is not easy to catch up with.

I wouldn't worry too much.  You are certainly trying your best to
tranfer your knowledge and it works.

> [C] I think this point doesn't really need discussion, Gilles was
> admitted according to ASF practices.

Yep.

> [D] This point is not easy to address. I propose we start a flaming
> war in the coming days and agree after a few days :-) Joke apart, I
> don't think we have had any conflict so far in the community.

You've had reasonable discussions and nobody pulled back because
Xavier's view was different.  I don't think anybody would stop your
graduation because you lack conflicts.

> [E] I think we have some kind of engagement, it's difficult to know
> if this is enough.

I can attest you took care of Ivy in Gump.  There certainly is
interaction with Ant and some with Maven.

Infrastructure is hard to do since this is an ASF members only area
but you did your best to help infra when the svn and JIRA migrations
were done.

You're doing fine here, I think.

Stefan

RE: Steps toward graduation

Posted by Gilles Scokart <gs...@gmail.com>.
I like how the menu expands (the sublevel appears progressively).
I didn't test the doc generation (I don't have a jdk 1.6 on my machine :-().
I notice a problem when I click on "tutorial" (the page, not the arrow), the
menu is not expandable anymore.

By the way:
- Do we still need to generate the doc? (I guess yes, for google.  But there
is maybe other solutions)
- Do you really want to publish the new site.  I'm not sure, but it can
contain doc of things that will only be released in 2.0-alpha-2.

Gilles

Re: Steps toward graduation

Posted by Xavier Hanin <xa...@gmail.com>.

Re: Steps toward graduation

Posted by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org>.

Re: Steps toward graduation

Posted by Xavier Hanin <xa...@gmail.com>.

OK, I'll ask on general@i.a.o.

> [B] We have done one release in the incubator, but we have no
> > current release plan.
>
> I'm not sure this really is required since you had a plan before you
> released alpha1.
>
> > And here is what I don't clearly know what to think:
> >
> >   - *Meritocracy / Community *
> >      - Demonstrate an active and diverse development community [A]
> >      - The project is not highly dependent on any single contributor
> >      (there are at least 3 legally independent committers and there
> > is no single
> >      company or entity that is vital to the success of the project)
> >      [B]
> >      - The above implies that new committers are admitted according
> >      to ASF practices [C]
> >      - Demonstrate ability to tolerate and resolve conflict within
> >      the community. [D]
> >      - Engagement by the incubated community with the other ASF
> >      communities, particularly infrastructure@ (this reflects my
> >      personal bias that projects should pay an nfrastructure
> >      "tax"). [E]
> >
> > [A] From my point of view we demonstrate an active and diverse
> > development community.
>
> You do.
>
> > [B] This point is difficult to evaluate for me. As the creator of
> > the project, I have some knowledge of the code base and history of
> > the project that is not easy to catch up with.
>
> I wouldn't worry too much.  You are certainly trying your best to
> tranfer your knowledge and it works.
>
> > [C] I think this point doesn't really need discussion, Gilles was
> > admitted according to ASF practices.
>
> Yep.
>
> > [D] This point is not easy to address. I propose we start a flaming
> > war in the coming days and agree after a few days :-) Joke apart, I
> > don't think we have had any conflict so far in the community.
>
> You've had reasonable discussions and nobody pulled back because
> Xavier's view was different.  I don't think anybody would stop your
> graduation because you lack conflicts.
>
> > [E] I think we have some kind of engagement, it's difficult to know
> > if this is enough.
>
> I can attest you took care of Ivy in Gump.  There certainly is
> interaction with Ant and some with Maven.
>
> Infrastructure is hard to do since this is an ASF members only area
> but you did your best to help infra when the svn and JIRA migrations
> were done.
>
> You're doing fine here, I think.

Thanks!

Xavier