Posted to dev@beam.apache.org by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net> on 2016/03/15 02:04:14 UTC

Renaming process: first step Maven coordonates

Hi all,

I started the renaming process from Dataflow to Beam.

I submitted a first PR about the Maven coordinates:

https://github.com/apache/incubator-beam/pull/46

I will start the packages renaming (updating the same PR). For the
directories structure, I would like to talk with Frances, Dan, Tyler,
and Davor first.

Regards
JB
--
Jean-Baptiste Onofré
jbonofre@apache.org

Re: Renaming process: first step Maven coordonates

Posted by Kenneth Knowles <kl...@google.com.INVALID>.
Many issues have been raised here and I cannot tell the direction
people are working now on the PR. So here is my current thinking,
which may be a +1 to some things or may be different.

1. Versions

 - This seems odd: 0.1.0-incubating < 0.1.0-SNAPSHOT
   It mostly shouldn't matter but seems better to have the release version
   greater than snapshots, so plain "0.1.0".

 - Snapshots version "${project.version}-SNAPSHOT-${shorthash}" is nice. It
   loses the magic behavior of "SNAPSHOT" but adds cacheability and
   traceability.  I think the rare cases where there is a downside can be
   easily avoided. I have not done this with maven before, but the maven
   buildnumber plugin seems to be just for this purpose.

 - There are some version standards which always require three versions.
   Even though for 0.x versions a patch/incremental version is redundant,
and
   I agreed to drop it on a PR thread, I have a read more carefully and
based
   on this think we should just add a redundant 0 to make it 0.x.0

2. GroupId

 - I favor one groupId "org.apache.beam". It is easier to read and use.
   Maybe if we had hundreds of artifactIds it would be different.

3. ArtifactIds

 - Examples: probably fundamentally for a particular language. I favor
   including "java" in the name for example artifacts. For these the code is
   what matters.

 - Non-examples: maven central and the JVM are cross-language. Unless there
   is a technical reason that other languages cannot work, I do not like
   having "java" in the name. I do understand trying to leave space for a
   more specialized Scala or Clojure SDK, but they can still name theirs
   including "scala" or "clojure" without conflict. More likely they should
   come up with a clever name for their DSL :-)

4. Parent poms

 - As shallow and minimal as possible. They obfuscate configuration and can
   introduce spurious coupling when they do too much. I am a bit lost as
   to where we have them, and whether they are just driving mvn to build
   independent codebases (which is fine with me) or they are really adding
   coupling.

 - Is it possible to avoid these ending up on Maven Central? It adds a lot
   of cruft to browsing the repo.

Re: Renaming process: first step Maven coordonates

Posted by Maximilian Michels <mx...@apache.org>.
I would be in favor of one group id. For the developer, hierarchies
are really important. They are visible in the directory layout of the
Maven project and in the dependency tree. For the user, it shouldn't
matter how the project is structured. He pulls in artifacts simply
from the "org.apache.beam" group. I think it makes outside-interaction
easier when we have a fixed group id.

Cheers,
Max

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>.
Hi Lukasz,

Posted by Lukasz Cwik <lc...@google.com.INVALID>.

Posted by Robert Bradshaw <ro...@google.com.INVALID>.
On Mon, Mar 21, 2016 at 10:24 AM, Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net> wrote:
> Hi Ben,
>
> 1. True for Python, but it can go in a folder in sdk (sdk/python) anyway. I
> think the DSLs (Java based) and other languages that we might introduce
> (Scala, ...) can be the same.

Python would certainly want to be on PyPi. I don't think most other
(currently hypothetical) languages such as Go, Ruby, (node)js, R, ...
would be using Maven either.

The current directory structure is very java-centric, e.g.

- sdk
    - pom.xml
    - src
        - main
        - test
- runners
    - pom.xml
    - src
        - main
        - test
- examples
- java8examples
- contrib
    - lib1

I'm wondering if it makes more sense to partition into languages at a
higher level (e.g. a top-level src) instead.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1mTeZED33Famq25XedbKeDlGIJRvtzCXjSfwH9NKQYUE/edit#heading=h.oxy7eveq2260

Re: Renaming process: first step Maven coordonates

Posted by Davor Bonaci <da...@google.com.INVALID>.
Upon further discussion, I'd like to propose that we adopt JB's proposal
and use "-incubating-SNAPSHOT" style while we are an incubating project.

There are pros and cons on both sides. Based on the information so far, a
category of stakeholders who'll need to upgrade their Maven installation is
small. Even then, an upgrade is only needed for correct version resolution
when using ranges. Finally, all this becomes a non-issue once we graduate
from the Incubator.

I think JB's proposal offers reasonable trade-offs and I think we can rally
behind it.

Posted by Davor Bonaci <da...@google.com.INVALID>.
Indeed, the current directory structure is very Java-centric. We are in
process of fixing that.

We are thinking of going somewhere along the lines of:

sdks
    java
    py
examples
    java
    java8
    py
runners
    google-cloud-dataflow
    flink
    spark

In a way, we are thinking of having a very limited set of high-level
components (sdks, examples, runners), which are then branched per-language,
as appropriate.

The current top-level directories that should go elsewhere include
java8examples, javadoc, contrib, archetypes.

I think this will get us closer to having other languages as first-class
citizens.

Posted by Kenneth Knowles <kl...@google.com.INVALID>.
+1 JB.

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>.
Hi Ben,

Posted by Andreas Veithen <an...@gmail.com>.
On Mon, Mar 21, 2016 at 6:22 PM, Ben Chambers <bc...@google.com.invalid>
wrote:

> I don't think Maven will recognize 0.1.0-incubating-SNAPSHOT as a snapshot.
> It will recognize it as 0.1.0 with the "incubating-SNAPSHOT" qualifier.
>
> For instance, looking at the code for parsing qualifiers, it only handles
> the string "SNAPSHOT" specially, not "incubating-SNAPSHOT".
>
> http://maven.apache.org/ref/3.0.4/maven-artifact/xref/org/apache/maven/artifact/versioning/ComparableVersion.html#52
>
> Looking at this Stack Overflow answer (
> http://stackoverflow.com/a/31482463/4539304) it looks like support was
> improved in Maven 3.2.4 to allow multiple qualifiers (its still unclear
> whether incubating would be considered by the code as a qualifier).
>
> Either way, we shouldn't expect users to upgrade to Maven 3.2.4 or newer
> just to get reasonable version number treatment. It seems like sticking
> with the standard "-SNAPSHOT" and "" for releases is preferable.
>
> If the goal is to get incubating into the file names, I think we can
> configure the Maven build process to do so. For instance, finalName
> defaults to
> "<finalName>${project.artifactId}-${project.version}</finalName>". If we
> changed that to
>
> "<finalName>${project.artifactId}-incubating-${project.version}</finalName>"
> it seems like we'd "incubating" in the file names without needing to
> complicate the release numbering.

finalName only specifies the file name that the artifact will have locally
in the target directory. It doesn't change the name it will have in the
Maven repository, i.e. that property will be basically invisible to the end
user.

Posted by Ben Chambers <bc...@google.com.INVALID>.

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>.
Hi Ben,