Posted to dev@tiles.apache.org by Antonio Petrelli <an...@gmail.com> on 2007/01/29 11:09:53 UTC

Module "JSP support"

Hi
Just a question: do you think that adding a module for JSP support
could be useful?
And if your answer is yes, do you think that separating the JSP
support could be a good step?  What I have in mind is that supporting
JSP is like supporting any other templating language.
Before making any change I would like some feedback.

Thoughts?
Antonio

Re: Module "JSP support"

Posted by "David H. DeWolf" <dd...@apache.org>.

Nathan Bubna wrote:
> +1 for having a roadmap to coordinate efforts and be able to plan
> ahead a bit.  we can throw one up on the wiki.

+1

> +1 for doing an alpha release that includes the jsp/tags stuff.
> pulling out the jsp stuff is a feature subtract to the core, not a
> feature add.  i think we should roll an alpha release before
> separating things.  once we separate them, then we'll need to release
> two things (the JSP stuff and the core) before Tiles 2.x will be
> usable for most people.  Releases aren't that hard, but i agree we
> should prioritize getting one out there (even if we can only label it
> as alpha).

+1

> if Antonio wants to start pulling the JSP stuff out, we can always
> create a 2.0.x branch for the alpha release and let him work on the
> head.

+0

Re: Module "JSP support"

Posted by Antonio Petrelli <ap...@apache.org>.
Nathan Bubna ha scritto:
> if Antonio wants to start pulling the JSP stuff out, we can always
> create a 2.0.x branch for the alpha release and let him work on the
> head.

You word-thief! :-) That was exactly what I wanted to say now.
Anyway there's still the extra effort of an, eventual, merge. Probably
this separation can wait, but I think that at least a JIRA component can
be created.

Antonio

Re: Module "JSP support"

Posted by Nathan Bubna <nb...@gmail.com>.

Re: Module "JSP support"

Re: Module "JSP support"

Posted by "David H. DeWolf" <dd...@apache.org>.

Nathan Bubna wrote:
> On 1/29/07, David H. DeWolf <dd...@apache.org> wrote:
>> I like the idea, but I do wonder if this will open up a can of worms
>> that we'll always have to deal with -- whether or not we should develop
>> integration with other template engines as part of the Tiles project.
>
> thinking about this more...  i think i would support integration with
> other template engines only under the following conditions:
>
> 1) We have committers who will develop/maintain them.  I.e.  we don't
> create a Tiles+MyFavoriteTemplateEngine upon request.
>
> 2) They stay separate projects.  This way if they fall dormant, they
> don't encumber releases of other, good code.
>
>> My preference is to keep Tiles small, to keep it to the framework and
>> jsp integration, while at the same time making sure the framework has
>> adequate hooks for other template languages.
>
> This would also be fine with me.
>
>> Also, I'm assuming that would mean that the tags would be part of the
>> tiles-jsp module.  Now that the container has been introduced we should
>> be able to make the cut fairly easily.  I can think of a couple of
>> gotcha's off the top of my head, but nothing we can't get past.  In
>> fact, this exercise would probably be a good test of how well we've done.
>
> and it would prevent future jsp dependency creep.  i like that part too. :)
>
>> I'm 50/50, I could see it going either way. I'd just like to get an
>> alpha release out sooner rather than later.  How does this decision
>> effect that?
>
> Precious little should affect doing a release that we deem "alpha"
> quality.  To me, the alpha label means only that the code compiles and
> mostly runs.   It doesn't promise any sort of backward or forward
> compatibility and the public interfaces may change freely without need
> for a deprecation cycle.   Alphas are for people to try out, not for
> people to depend on.
>
> In other words, we should be able to roll out an alpha anytime we
> want, regardless of what major changes may be in the pipeline.

I'm perfectly fine with that definition.  And if others do too - let's
roll one :)

Re: Module "JSP support"

Posted by Nathan Bubna <nb...@gmail.com>.

Re: Module "JSP support"

Posted by "David H. DeWolf" <dd...@apache.org>.

Re: Module "JSP support"

Posted by Nathan Bubna <nb...@gmail.com>.
On 1/29/07, Antonio Petrelli <an...@gmail.com> wrote:
> 2007/1/29, Nathan Bubna <nb...@gmail.com>:
> > However, we then must ask the question of whether we're going to allow
> > modules for other template engines too?  I don't think we have to
> > answer yes to that, though.  JSP, for all its problems, is the
> > "standard" so it is easy to say we will only maintain support for
> > Tiles+JSP here.  Then we can leave Tiles+Velocity or Tiles+Freemarker
> > to be developed elsewhere.  As the VelocityTools lead, i really don't
> > care much either way.
>
> I think that the part of VelocityTools for Tiles is more connected to
> Tiles than to Velocity. If you think about Struts 2, the FreeMarker
> integration is just inside Struts 2 itself (I think it's a module,
> correct me if I am wrong).

This is true, but Struts 2 is explicitly a framework, and integration
of components for users' convenience is arguably the defining aspect
of a "framework".    Tiles, however, is much more a "view component"
than a framework.  Components should not, IMHO, take pains to concern
themselves with integrating themselves with other components.  They
may use other components internally and should certainly provide
interfaces for easy integration with others, but the integration with
other components should be at best a secondary concern.

That said, VelocityTools also aims to be a "view component", not a
full framework.  The VelocityStruts integration would have been better
developed at Struts in an ideal world, but  that path was not open to
us at the time.  Because of this, already there is some integration of
view components for users' convenience happening, and it seems healthy
enough.  If we do want to consider moving Tiles+Velocity integration
into the Tiles project alongside the Tiles+JSP module, i would be open
to it.   It would at least save me the trouble of having both a
TilesTool and a Tiles2Tool in VelocityTools. :)

> I agree that JSP will remain the base for all development, but since
> David made a great work on removing the dependencies between the
> view/template technology and the rendering, the porting to Velocity
> and FreeMarker will be easy (at least for Velocity/Freemarker experts
> :-) ) and, I suppose, the best place to put integration code is inside
> a Tiles module. You just have not a "JSPTools" for Struts :-)

Yeah, David's work is going to make Tiles2+Velocity quite easy.  It
should not be hard to develop or maintain.

Re: Module "JSP support"

Posted by Antonio Petrelli <an...@gmail.com>.

Re: Module "JSP support"

Posted by Nathan Bubna <nb...@gmail.com>.
I like the idea a lot because i suspect it will likely make it easier
for me to integrate Tiles without worrying about JSP specific things
creeping into the core of Tiles.

However, we then must ask the question of whether we're going to allow
modules for other template engines too?  I don't think we have to
answer yes to that, though.  JSP, for all its problems, is the
"standard" so it is easy to say we will only maintain support for
Tiles+JSP here.  Then we can leave Tiles+Velocity or Tiles+Freemarker
to be developed elsewhere.  As the VelocityTools lead, i really don't
care much either way.

But i am +1 for adding a module for JSP support, just to encourage
cleaner, less JSP specific code.