Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Rob Hartill <ro...@imdb.com> on 1997/06/07 05:26:04 UTC

anyone know of a "not modified" bug in Netscape 4 beta ?

I just noticed unix Netscape 4.0b5 hitting my server over and over for
GIFs that have a long off expires date.

e.g. Apache sends back:

HTTP/1.1 200 OK
Date: Sat, 07 Jun 1997 03:21:47 GMT
Server: Apache/1.2.0 mod_perl/0.98_11
Cache-Control: max-age=1604800
Expires: Wed, 25 Jun 1997 17:08:27 GMT
Last-Modified: Sat, 07 Jun 1997 03:20:05 GMT
ETag: "3fe2a-f61-3398d365"

then Netscape keeps on asking the server if it has changed whenever it
is reused, and Apache correctly reponds with a "304" code.

Anyone else seeing this ?
The headers look okay to me. I've got a hacked mod_expires.c that adds
the "Cache-Control" header.

Re: anyone know of a "not modified" bug in Netscape 4 beta ?

Posted by Alexei Kosut <ak...@nueva.pvt.k12.ca.us>.
On Mon, 9 Jun 1997, Rob Hartill wrote:

> Netscape 4.0b5 is a real mess though, so it's probably just one more
> bug they'll have to sort out.
>
> b5 crashes so much that b6 is going to be bundled with an airbag
> as standard.

By some odd twist of irony, the Mac version of 4.0b5 is more stable
and crash-free than any other version of Navigator I've used. It has a
few bugs, but they're mainly cosmetic (e.g., for some reason, that Netscape
icon in the upper-right corner never appears...) and I've been
happily using it since it was released.

Whatever happened to writing an Apache browser? :)

Alexei Kosut <ak...@nueva.pvt.k12.ca.us>      The Apache HTTP Server

Re: anyone know of a "not modified" bug in Netscape 4 beta ?

Posted by Rob Hartill <ro...@imdb.com>.
On Sun, 8 Jun 1997, Dean Gaudet wrote:

> It's not the GIF89a loop problem is it?

No, these are vanilla gifs. no animations.

Posted by Dean Gaudet <dg...@arctic.org>.
It's not the GIF89a loop problem is it?

Dean