Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by William Trenker <wt...@gmail.com> on 2006/06/09 05:39:28 UTC

Can't commit -- working copy missing or not locked

I'm still getting used to using the svn mv/rm etc commands so I went
and removed a directory in my working copy using a plain linux rm -rf
command.  Now when I try to commit my most recent changes I get a
"working copy ... missing or not locked" message.

How to I get myself out of this?

Thanks for any help,
Bill

Re: Can't commit -- working copy missing or not locked

Posted by Ulrich Eckhardt <ec...@satorlaser.com>.
On Friday 09 June 2006 07:39, William Trenker wrote:
> I'm still getting used to using the svn mv/rm etc commands so I went
> and removed a directory in my working copy using a plain linux rm -rf
> command.

Don't do that. Subversion doesn't know about this and also doesn't know how to
handle that. In general, deleting, adding (of course) and renaming/moving
should only be done via the svn commands.

> Now when I try to commit my most recent changes I get a
> "working copy ... missing or not locked" message.
>
> How to I get myself out of this?

1. svn update
This will restore the removed directory.
2. svn delete <dirname>
This will tell Subversion that you want that directory deleted.
3. svn commit
This will transfer the change made in step 2 to the repository.

Uli

Visit our website at <http://www.domino-printing.com/>
This Email and any files transmitted with it are confidential and intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed. If you have received this Email in error please notify the system manager.

This footnote also confirms that this Email message has been swept by MailSweeper for the presence of computer viruses.

Re: Can't commit -- working copy missing or not locked

Posted by Nico Kadel-Garcia <nk...@comcast.net>.
William Trenker wrote:
> I'm still getting used to using the svn mv/rm etc commands so I went
> and removed a directory in my working copy using a plain linux rm -rf
> command.  Now when I try to commit my most recent changes I get a
> "working copy ... missing or not locked" message.
>
> How to I get myself out of this?
>
> Thanks for any help,
> Bill

    svn checkout [directory from repository] [deleted directory]

Or:

    svn update

svn update will update everything else in your local directory, too, which
you may not want.