Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Francis Irving <fr...@flourish.org> on 2003/08/12 00:01:11 UTC

svn rmdir

Why is there a "svn mkdir" to make a directory, but not "svn rmdir" to
remove it?  It seems that I have to use "svn rm" to remove a directory -
this seems inconsistent with the Unix shell.

Francis
--
Does your MP vote on your behalf? http://www.publicwhip.org.uk

Re: svn rmdir

Posted by kf...@collab.net.
Francis Irving <fr...@flourish.org> writes:
> Why is there a "svn mkdir" to make a directory, but not "svn rmdir" to
> remove it?  It seems that I have to use "svn rm" to remove a directory -
> this seems inconsistent with the Unix shell.

It's different because we version the history, so the old dir (with
all its contents & subtrees) is still there in the revision history.
Because of this, we feel simple 'rm' is appropriate even for
directories.

-K

Re: svn rmdir

Posted by Michael Wood <mw...@its.uct.ac.za>.
On Mon, Aug 11, 2003 at 09:45:57PM -0500, cmpilato@collab.net wrote:
> Francis Irving <fr...@flourish.org> writes:
>
> > Why is there a "svn mkdir" to make a directory, but not "svn rmdir" to
> > remove it?  It seems that I have to use "svn rm" to remove a directory -
> > this seems inconsistent with the Unix shell.
>
> Interestingly enough, we aren't writing a Unix shell.  Besides, who
> uses 'rmdir' instead of 'rm -rf' anyway?

I'll say again, using "-f" when it's not necessary is a bad habbit.

--
Michael Wood <mw...@its.uct.ac.za>

Re: svn rmdir

Posted by cm...@collab.net.