Posted to users@activemq.apache.org by selezovikj <se...@gmail.com> on 2008/11/04 15:12:22 UTC

Commons-logging conflict with failover

I am using log4j to send logging events to a topic on an ActiveMQ broker.
I use the failover transport to specify a secondary host and automatic
reconnection.
When the commons-logging.jar is in the classpath the failover transport is
blocking.
Has anyone experienced this ?
Does commons-logging conflict with the failover transport ?

The log4j logging has no problem with failover. I am just wondering how come
commons-logging is causing problems since Log4J is the default logger for
commons-logging.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Re: Commons-logging conflict with failover

Posted by James Strachan <ja...@gmail.com>.
2008/11/4 selezovikj <se...@gmail.com>:
> System.out.println("before declaration");
> final Log log = LogFactory.getLog("MSGSTATS");
> System.out.println("after declaration");
>
> "after declaration" is never printed out.
>

> So commons-logging initializes a Log, which initializes log4j by reading the
> log4j.properties file, then in the log4j.properties MSGSTATS the JMS
> appender is started, which then tries to connect to localhost:61617 with
> failover. Failover wants to log with commons-logging but blocks and just
> says that it attempts to connect BECAUSE it is not connected yet and cannot
> log if not connected.
>
> Any way to tell failover to not block/log ?

Create a JMS appender that lazily connects when its actually got
something to log?

--
James
-------

Open Source Integration
http://fusesource.com/

Re: Commons-logging conflict with failover

Posted by selezovikj <se...@gmail.com>.
I tried it and I just don't get the information that is logged locally:

[                          main] FailoverTransport              DEBUG Waking
up reconnect task
[                 ActiveMQ Task] FailoverTransport              DEBUG
Attempting connect to: tcp://localhost:61617

This gets logged when I don't include what you said.

Failover seems to be configured to log remotely to where it connects. I
should find a way to tell it to either not log anything so that it does not
block, or to log locally. Any idea about that ?

Anyway, a smart suggestion Bosanac. However, failover still blocks.

Posted by Dejan Bosanac <de...@ttmsolutions.com>.
Can you try adding

Posted by selezovikj <se...@gmail.com>.
If so, does this mean that by default, with the failover transport
commons-logging logs to where it tries to connect ?

Posted by James Strachan <ja...@gmail.com>.

Posted by selezovikj <se...@gmail.com>.
So failover tries to log that it is connected, but it cannot log since it is
not connected.
But, my question is: connected where ?
Why doesn't failover log locally that it is connected ? Why can't it log
without being connected ? It can just log locally.

Is this something that will be fixed in the coming releases ?

And my biggest question: Is there a way to solve my problem ?
Or do I have to program manually the automatic reconnection feature that
failover provides ?

Thank you very much

Posted by James Strachan <ja...@gmail.com>.

Posted by selezovikj <se...@gmail.com>.

Posted by James Strachan <ja...@gmail.com>.
You should not be sending ActiveMQ logging information to the JMS
appender right? Otherwise its catch 22; you can't connect until you've
logged and can't log until you've connected.

2008/11/4 selezovikj <se...@gmail.com>:

> Yes, I am using the JMS appender and in the jndi.properties file I specify
> "failover:(tcp://localhost:61617)" as the value for the providerURL.
> I have a simple client logging messages using the JMS appender.
> Commons-logging is logging to a jms appender when I am NOT using the
> failover transport.
> On the other hand, when I use log4j only, it successfully logs when I use
> the failover transport.  This is the output I get when I only use log4j:
>
> Nov 4, 2008 3:36:03 PM
> org.apache.activemq.transport.failover.FailoverTransport doReconnect
> INFO: Successfully connected to tcp://localhost:61617
>
> I really really want to use the failover transport. Is there any way to fix
> the problem you mentioned ?
> If failover uses logging to indicate when it is connected and somehow
> commons-logging does not allow this, is there a way to forcefully initialize
> logging so that failover can log successfully  and not block ?
>
> Thank you very much in advance
>

> James.Strachan wrote:
>>

>> Are you using the JMS appender as well by any chance? Do you get any
>> logging output?
>>
>> FWIW the failover transports uses logging to indicate when its
>> connected; so if logging is not working it might block
>> --
>> James
>> -------
>> http://macstrac.blogspot.com/
>>
>> Open Source Integration
>> http://fusesource.com/

James
-------
http://macstrac.blogspot.com/

Open Source Integration
http://fusesource.com/

Re: Commons-logging conflict with failover

Posted by selezovikj <se...@gmail.com>.

Posted by James Strachan <ja...@gmail.com>.