Posted to common-user@hadoop.apache.org by John Howland <jo...@gmail.com> on 2009/01/14 17:05:04 UTC

Hello, world for Hadoop + Lucene

Howdy!

Is there any sort of "Hello, world!" example for building a Lucene
index with Hadoop? I am looking through the source in contrib/index
and it is a bit beyond me at the moment. Alternatively, is there more
documentation related to the contrib/index example code?

There seems to be a lot of information out on the tubes for how to do
distribute indices and query them (e.g. Katta). Nutch obviously also
comes up, but it is not clear to me how to come to grips with Nutch
and I'm not interested in web crawling. What I'm looking for is a
simple example for the hadoop/lucene newbie where you can take a
String or a Text object and index it as a document. If,
understandably, such an example does not exist, any pointers from the
experts would be appreciated. I don't care as much about real world
usage/performance, as I do about pedagogical code which can serve as a
base for learning, just to give me a toehold.

Many thanks,

John

Re: Hello, world for Hadoop + Lucene

Posted by Ning Li <ni...@gmail.com>.
Sorry for the late reply. You can refer to the test case
TestIndexUpdater.java as an example. It uses the index contrib to
build a Lucene index and verifies by querying on the index built.

Cheers,
Ning