Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by Simone Tripodi <si...@apache.org> on 2011/09/20 11:48:53 UTC

[DISCUSS] DirectMemory to join the Apache Incubator

Hi all guys,
I would like to propose DirectMemory, a Java OpenSource multi-layered
cache implementation featuring off-heap memory storage (a-la
Terracotta BigMemory) originally developed by Raffaele P. Guidi on
GitHub[1], to be an Apache Incubator project. For those interested on
knowing more about DirectMemory, you can read Raffaele's related
blog[2].

Here's a link to the proposal in the Incubator wiki[3] where we
started collecting all needed info.

As you will note, the list of mentors is in need of some volunteers,
so if you find this interesting, feel free to sign up or let us know
you are interested :).

Hope to read from you soon, thanks in advance and have a nice day!
All the best,
Simo

[1] https://github.com/raffaeleguidi/DirectMemory
[2] http://raffaeleguidi.wordpress.com/
[3] http://wiki.apache.org/incubator/DirectMemoryProposal

http://www.99soft.org/

Re: [DISCUSS] DirectMemory to join the Apache Incubator

Posted by Christian Grobmeier <gr...@gmail.com>.
Tim,

On Sat, Oct 1, 2011 at 7:37 PM, Tim Williams <wi...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Discussion seems to have waned and with an overall positive vibe - are
> we ready to call the vote?

Simone has volunteered to open a vote, i think he mentioned tomorrow.

Cheers
Christian

http://www.grobmeier.de

Re: [DISCUSS] DirectMemory to join the Apache Incubator

Posted by Tim Williams <wi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Simone Tripodi <si...@apache.org>.
Dankeshön Christian,
actually you are taking care more than me to looking for the sponsor,
so Champion is the place you deserve :)
I'm going to add you there :)
Alles gute!
Simo

Posted by Christian Grobmeier <gr...@gmail.com>.
>> - the proposal doesn't have a champion, wouldn't that be you?
>
> The main concern is that I'm not a champion :P Anyway if no one else
> would like to do it, I would be very nice to do it, but I would
> prefere if more experienced people like Christian or Olivier would do
> it

Actually you (Simone) have already played the role of a champion:"The Champion
assists the candidate on their initial submission to a Sponsor".
http://incubator.apache.org/incubation/Roles_and_Responsibilities.html#Champion

But if you don't want to do it, I have no problem if you would add me
to that section. The part of the Champion is already nearly done,
so...

>> - are the core developers listed actively committing code to the project?

Speaking for myself, I currently have no time to commit java code, but
I am willing to do lend a hand probably with site generation, mvn, and
what comes along and does not require me to dig to deep into code,
until i have some free time again.

Cheers

Re: [DISCUSS] DirectMemory to join the Apache Incubator

Posted by Simone Tripodi <si...@apache.org>.
Hi Tim! :)
thanks for your interest and glad to add you in the mentors list,
going to add you as soon as I replied to the email, welcome!!!
Please read inline answers for your questions:

> - the proposal doesn't have a champion, wouldn't that be you?

The main concern is that I'm not a champion :P Anyway if no one else
would like to do it, I would be very nice to do it, but I would
prefere if more experienced people like Christian or Olivier would do
it

> - are the core developers listed actively committing code to the project?

Nope, DirectMemory is an effort that Raffaele is doing in his
spare-time, we joined him because we all met on twitter speaking about
his project and proposed him to donate to the ASF.

Thanks for your message!
Simo

http://www.99soft.org/

Posted by Tim Williams <wi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Olivier Lamy <ol...@apache.org>.
2011/9/20 Simone Tripodi <si...@apache.org>:
> Thanks for your feedback Ant,
> we are more than happy to have you onboard, glad to hear you are interested!
> I'm going to add you in the mentors list :)
>
> If there is someone in the existing list that want to step-up as
> mentor, feel free to do it!
> I suggest that Christian and Olivier are excellent candidates :)
Done :-)
Very nice project proposal !

> Simo

> http://www.99soft.org/
>

> On Tue, Sep 20, 2011 at 12:24 PM, ant elder <an...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> That sounds like a really exciting project to bring to Apache. I'd be
>> happy to volunteer as a mentor if you need one, with the so many
>> existing ASF committors and members part of the project i expect
>> incubation should go pretty smoothly.
>>
>>   ...ant
>>
>> On Tue, Sep 20, 2011 at 10:48 AM, Simone Tripodi
>> <si...@apache.org> wrote:
>>> Hi all guys,
>>> I would like to propose DirectMemory, a Java OpenSource multi-layered
>>> cache implementation featuring off-heap memory storage (a-la
>>> Terracotta BigMemory) originally developed by Raffaele P. Guidi on
>>> GitHub[1], to be an Apache Incubator project. For those interested on
>>> knowing more about DirectMemory, you can read Raffaele's related
>>> blog[2].
>>>
>>> Here's a link to the proposal in the Incubator wiki[3] where we
>>> started collecting all needed info.
>>>
>>> As you will note, the list of mentors is in need of some volunteers,
>>> so if you find this interesting, feel free to sign up or let us know
>>> you are interested :).
>>>
>>> Hope to read from you soon, thanks in advance and have a nice day!
>>> All the best,
>>> Simo
>>>
>>> [1] https://github.com/raffaeleguidi/DirectMemory
>>> [2] http://raffaeleguidi.wordpress.com/
>>> [3] http://wiki.apache.org/incubator/DirectMemoryProposal

>>> http://www.99soft.org/

Olivier Lamy
Talend : http://talend.com

Re: [DISCUSS] DirectMemory to join the Apache Incubator

Posted by Simone Tripodi <si...@apache.org>.

> oh yes, I will add my name there later too
> Cheers

I can take care of it, doing it right now ;)

Posted by Christian Grobmeier <gr...@gmail.com>.

http://www.grobmeier.de

Re: [DISCUSS] DirectMemory to join the Apache Incubator

Posted by Simone Tripodi <si...@apache.org>.

Posted by Simone Tripodi <si...@apache.org>.
Hi Ashish,
JCS is indeed in the field of interest of DirectMemory, we intend to
provide support for 3rd parties as much as possible!
Thanks for your feedback!
Simo

http://www.99soft.org/

Posted by Ashish <pa...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Christian Grobmeier <gr...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, Sep 20, 2011 at 12:24 PM, ant elder <an...@gmail.com> wrote:
> That sounds like a really exciting project to bring to Apache. I'd be
> happy to volunteer as a mentor if you need one, with the so many
> existing ASF committors and members part of the project i expect
> incubation should go pretty smoothly.

I agree, this is an exciting project.

There are many people comfortable with the incubation process, but I
think the others will welcome you helping as mentor as I do. Please
sign up to the proposal :-)

Cheers
Christian

http://www.grobmeier.de

Re: [DISCUSS] DirectMemory to join the Apache Incubator

Posted by ant elder <an...@gmail.com>.

Posted by "Raffaele P. Guidi" <ra...@gmail.com>.
I would be glad to have you aboard.

Posted by "Raffaele P. Guidi" <ra...@gmail.com>.
Ooops sorry, wrong address and wrong language :P

Posted by Simone Tripodi <si...@apache.org>.
On Wed, Sep 21, 2011 at 6:46 PM, Christian Grobmeier
<gr...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Si senor Mi piace bere vino e birra

ROFL :D don't you like pizza, spaghetti and gelato? ;)

Posted by Christian Grobmeier <gr...@gmail.com>.
Si senor Mi piace bere vino e birra

http://www.grobmeier.de

Re: [DISCUSS] DirectMemory to join the Apache Incubator

Posted by Akash Ashok <th...@gmail.com>.
Really Cool Stuff .... Sounds great :)

Posted by "Raffaele P. Guidi" <ra...@gmail.com>.
I will ask to change my apache ID in "italianspammer" :P Sorry again.

Cheers,
    Raffaele

Posted by Maurizio Cucchiara <mc...@apache.org>.
Lol,

Posted by "Raffaele P. Guidi" <ra...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Simone Tripodi <si...@apache.org>.
Hi Ioannis,

Posted by Ioannis Canellos <io...@gmail.com>.
Excellent stuff.

I'd like to join.

--
*Ioannis Canellos*
*

Posted by Otis Gospodnetic <ot...@yahoo.com>.
Oh I hope this gets into ASF.

I mentioned DirectMemory on one of the Apache MLs the other day in the context of somebody at.... Facebook? or Cloudera? working on something very similar for another ASF project.... maybe HBase.  Just mentioning it.

Otis
----

Posted by "Raffaele P. Guidi" <ra...@gmail.com>.
Ok I will change it this evening. Git is not a priority in any way.
Cheers,
  Raffaele
On Monday, September 26, 2011, Christian Grobmeier <gr...@gmail.com>
wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 26, 2011 at 1:12 PM, Raffaele P. Guidi
> <ra...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Well, I currently use github wiki for documentation and don't have a
>> specific preference for confluence so I probably should have written
Wiki;

Posted by Christian Grobmeier <gr...@gmail.com>.

http://www.grobmeier.de

Re: [DISCUSS] DirectMemory to join the Apache Incubator

Posted by "Raffaele P. Guidi" <ra...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Christian Grobmeier <gr...@gmail.com>.

http://www.grobmeier.de

Re: [DISCUSS] DirectMemory to join the Apache Incubator

Posted by "Raffaele P. Guidi" <ra...@gmail.com>.