Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Joe Germuska <Jo...@Germuska.com> on 2003/04/23 20:10:26 UTC

externalize deploy goal commands?

Has there been any discussion about externalizing the commands used
by the various Maven deploy goals?  For example, the distribution
goals for site:deploy and dist:deploy use the "U" flag to tar, which
apparently my server doesn't understand.  Now, I can ask my sysadmin
to put in a new tar, but it seems like I should be able to change
that.

Note that I have changed it in the plugin.jelly files, but then when
I updated to the 1.0b9 release, my changes were blown away, so I was
reminded that it seems like a good idea.

By the way, I've looked on other systems and on the web and I can't
figure out -- what does "U" mean to some versions of "tar"?

Thanks
	Joe

Joe Germuska
Joe@Germuska.com
http://blog.germuska.com
"If nature worked that way, the universe would crash all the time."
	--Jaron Lanier

Re: externalize deploy goal commands?

Posted by "Mark H. Wilkinson" <mh...@kremvax.net>.
On Wed, 2003-04-23 at 19:10, Joe Germuska wrote:
> Has there been any discussion about externalizing the commands used
> by the various Maven deploy goals?

Don't know, but it sounds like a good idea to me.

> Note that I have changed it in the plugin.jelly files, but then when
> I updated to the 1.0b9 release, my changes were blown away, so I was
> reminded that it seems like a good idea.

You could check the source code out using CVS, then make your local
modifications to the source tree and build your own installation of
maven. When changes are made in CVS, CVS will deal with merging those
changes into your modified version of the code.

> By the way, I've looked on other systems and on the web and I can't
> figure out -- what does "U" mean to some versions of "tar"?

According to GNU tar,

  -U, --unlink-first    remove each file prior to extracting over it

I don't immediately see the importance of using this option when
extracting tar files - the GNU tar documentation seems to make it sound
like a performance thing. I suppose it might make a difference if the
permissions on the existing files don't allow you to write to them, but
you can unlink them and create new ones. But I'd have thought that would
be a special case rather than the default.

-Mark.