Posted to java-user@lucene.apache.org by Shai Erera <se...@gmail.com> on 2011/01/23 06:14:26 UTC

[REINDEX] Note: re-indexing required !

Hi

Under LUCENE-2720 the index format of both trunk and 3x has changed. You
should re-index any indexes created with either of these code streams.

Shai

Re: [REINDEX] Note: re-indexing required !

Posted by Michael McCandless <lu...@mikemccandless.com>.
Actually, 3.x indices are fine: on upgrading to 3.1 (once released,
soon), you don't need to reindex.  This was a minor index format
change, but it's fully back compatible to 3.0/2.x indices.

But if you are using trunk, then you must do a clean reindex (discard
old index & build new one).

Also this issue (LUCENE-2720) was not really a nasty bug -- it was
closer to an enhancement: we want to make sure that if you open an
IndexWriter on a too-old index (eg 4.0 opens a 2.9 index) that you
quickly get a clear exception saying so.

This is Lucene's index back-compatibility:

  http://wiki.apache.org/lucene-java/BackwardsCompatibility

Ie, you'll never have to do a full reindex on upgrading to a new
dot-release (eg 3.0 -> 3.1) or to the next major release (eg 3.0 ->
4.0).

It's only if you're using 4.0 (trunk, not yet released) that you must
be prepared to discard your index and rebuild it, since there are no
guarantees on the index format from one night to the next.

Mike

Posted by Erick Erickson <er...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Earwin Burrfoot <ea...@gmail.com>.
Lucene maintains compatibility with earlier stable release index
versions, and to some extent transparently upgrades them.
But there is no guaranteed compatibility between different
in-development indexes.

E.g. 3.2 reads 3.1 indexes and upgrades them, but 3.2-dev-snapshot-10
(while happily handling 3.1) may fail reading 3.2-dev-snapshot-8
index, as they have the same version tag, yet different formats.

On Sun, Jan 23, 2011 at 19:18, Earl Hood <ea...@earlhood.com> wrote:
> On Sat, Jan 22, 2011 at 11:14 PM, Shai Erera <se...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Under LUCENE-2720 the index format of both trunk and 3x has changed. You
>> should re-index any indexes created with either of these code streams.
>
> Does the "3x" refer to the 3.x development branch?
>
> I.e. For those of using the stable 3.x release of Lucene, will
> a future 3.x release require rebuilding indexes?
>
> --ewh

Phone: +7 (495) 683-567-4
ICQ: 104465785

Re: [REINDEX] Note: re-indexing required !

Posted by Earl Hood <ea...@earlhood.com>.

Posted by Earl Hood <ea...@earlhood.com>.