Posted to user@cassandra.apache.org by Oleg Dulin <ol...@gmail.com> on 2012/06/01 16:39:51 UTC

TimedOutException()

We are using Cassandra 1.1.0 with an older Pelops version, but I don't
think that in itself is a problem here.

I am getting this exception:

TimedOutException()
        at
org.apache.cassandra.thrift.Cassandra$get_slice_result.read(Cassandra.java:7660)

        at
org.apache.cassandra.thrift.Cassandra$Client.recv_get_slice(Cassandra.java:570)

        at
org.apache.cassandra.thrift.Cassandra$Client.get_slice(Cassandra.java:542)

        at org.scale7.cassandra.pelops.Selector$3.execute(Selector.java:683)
        at org.scale7.cassandra.pelops.Selector$3.execute(Selector.java:680)
        at org.scale7.cassandra.pelops.Operand.tryOperation(Operand.java:82)

Is my understanding correct that this is where cassandra is telling us
it can't accomplish something within that timeout value -- as opposed
to network timeout ? Where is it set ?

Thanks,
Oleg

Re: TimedOutException()

Posted by aaron morton <aa...@thelastpickle.com>.
> Is the node we are connecting to try to proxy requests ? Wouldn't our
> configuration ensure all nodes have replicas ?
It can still time out even when reading locally. (The thread running the query is waiting on the read thread).

Look in the server side logs to see if there are any errors. If you are getting a timeout in this situation I would guess either the node is heavily overloaded or you are asking for a lot of data from a wide row.

Cheers

Aaron Morton
Freelance Developer
@aaronmorton