Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by Licinio Fernández Maurelo <li...@gmail.com> on 2009/09/15 11:31:46 UTC

Dealing with term vectors

Hi there,

i want to recover the term vectors from indexes not calculating then but
just only recovering  instead.

Some questions about this topic:

   1. When i put the <termVector=true>  option ... what's happening behind?
      1. Is Lucene storing the tv in the index?
      2. Is Lucene storing additional info to allow tv's calculation?
   2. Reading Solr 1.4 Enterprise Search book (amazing book!) found this: "
   In Solr 1.4, it is now possible to tell Lucene that a field should store
   these for efficient retrieval. Without them, the same information can be
   derived at runtime but that's slower" (p. 286) - Does this mean that older
   Solr versions don't come with this functionality?
   3. Can tv component expose raw tem vectors for fields not marked wirh
   <termVector=true>?

Thx

--
Lici

Re: Dealing with term vectors

Posted by Grant Ingersoll <gs...@apache.org>.

http://wiki.apache.org/solr/TermVectorComponent

> Some questions about this topic:
>

>   1. When i put the <termVector=true>  option ... what's happening
> behind?
>      1. Is Lucene storing the tv in the index?

Yes.

>      2. Is Lucene storing additional info to allow tv's calculation?
>   2. Reading Solr 1.4 Enterprise Search book (amazing book!) found
> this: "
>   In Solr 1.4, it is now possible to tell Lucene that a field should
> store
>   these for efficient retrieval. Without them, the same information
> can be
>   derived at runtime but that's slower" (p. 286) - Does this mean
> that older
>   Solr versions don't come with this functionality?

I haven't gotten to that section yet, but I bet it's referring to
recreating by analyzing the content.

>   3. Can tv component expose raw tem vectors for fields not marked
> wirh
>   <termVector=true>?

Not yet.  You can use the FieldAnalysisRequestHandler (I think that's
the name, it used to be called the DocumentAnalysisRequestHandler) to
do that, but that would require two trips to the server.

-Grant

Grant Ingersoll
http://www.lucidimagination.com/

using Solr/Lucene: