Posted to dev@ant.apache.org by Jaikiran Pai <ja...@gmail.com> on 2018/03/17 12:07:37 UTC

Snapshot access to regular users of Ant

I was about to send a mail to the user mailing list about the Ant
nightly job which publishes the daily snapshots, so that they can test
some bug fixes and new features (JUnit 5 in particular). However, I
happened to read the Apache release policy[1] which states regular users
aren't even meant to know about such snapshots.

That seems a bit too restrictive, especially for open source projects.
Is that documentation being followed and if it is, then I guess I
shouldn't be letting the user@ mailing list know about these snapshots
nor ask them to test out the new feature?

After reading that policy, I'm starting to wonder if the Jenkins job
should even publish these snapshots.

[1] http://www.apache.org/legal/release-policy.html#publication

-Jaikiran

Re: Snapshot access to regular users of Ant

Posted by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org>.
On 2018-03-17, Jaikiran Pai wrote:

> I was about to send a mail to the user mailing list about the Ant
> nightly job which publishes the daily snapshots, so that they can test
> some bug fixes and new features (JUnit 5 in particular). However, I
> happened to read the Apache release policy[1] which states regular
> users aren't even meant to know about such snapshots.

The idea of the policy is that users must be aware they are using
something that hasn't been tested extensively and may contain
bugs. Nobody should consider the snapshots production ready, that's why
they shouldn't get advertised outside of the developement community.

People who are willing to test a feature under development are part of
the development communinity :-)

If you reach out to the user list and ask people to test the junit5
feature, this is fine IMHO. Telling them to use the SNAPSHOTs as a way
to fix a certain bug is not (while it is OK to use it as a way to verify
the fix, this is subtle).

Stefan

AW: Snapshot access to regular users of Ant

Posted by "Jan Matèrne (jhm)" <ap...@materne.de>.
I dont see the automatic snapshots as a problem.
We should not ask "all" users to use them, but for single users that may be ok.
They are "testing" (means DEV) the current/upcoming version against their (problematic) scenario.

Jan

Posted by Gintautas Grigelionis <g....@gmail.com>.

> On 2018-03-19, Gintautas Grigelionis wrote:
>
> > Maybe Ant Task Guidelines could be exposed under under "Contributing"
> > as a landing page, and the relevant information could be moved into
> > the manual?
>
> The tutorials as well as the Ant task guidelines have always been only
> attachments to the manual to me, YMMV. I for one am completely on the
> fence with whatever anybody wants to do with them.

It would be easier to have the site in Git, too.

What we need is

   1. contribution guidelines
   2. task guidelines (that refer to 1)
   3. tutorials that refer to 1 & 2

For starters, we need to decide whether both guidelines should be a part of
the manual or of the site.

Sorry for passing the buck, but I believe you have the authority to put the
fence in the right place ;-)

Gintas

Re: Snapshot access to regular users of Ant

Posted by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org>.

Posted by Gintautas Grigelionis <g....@gmail.com>.

> On 2018-03-19, Gintautas Grigelionis wrote:
>
> > Starting from
>
> > https://rawgit.com/apache/ant/master/manual/tutorial-tasks-
> filesets-properties.html#contribute
>
> > to the end of document. Cf
>
> > https://ant.apache.org/manual/tutorial-tasks-filesets-
> properties.html#contribute
>
> > which still talks about Java 1.2, CVS, etc
>
> Ah, I see. I guess nobody of us has been aware the tutorials contain
> contribution guidelines (at least I wasn't).
>
> IMHO it would be better to have a single place that talks about it and
> link to it from inside the tutorial and wherever else. CONTRIBUTING.md
> is really only there for github, maybe a new page on the website under
> the "Contributing" section?

Sounds like a good idea. Then Ant Task Guidelines [1] could be trimmed and
refer to contribution guidelines.

[1]  https://ant.apache.org/ant_task_guidelines.html

Re: Snapshot access to regular users of Ant

Posted by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org>.

Posted by Gintautas Grigelionis <g....@gmail.com>.
Starting from

Posted by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org>.