Posted to users@tapestry.apache.org by Josh Long <st...@gmail.com> on 2008/12/21 08:46:52 UTC

Reloading component templates from Maven's jetty plugin

Hi,

I have a maven project generated usig the stock mvn archetype for tapestry 5.

According to the docs, component templates should be in
src/main/resources/.  I can't seem to get those to 'reload' correctly,
forcing me to ctrl + c the maven jetty plug in and re run.

Any input on how to change this (from tapestry or the maven jetty plug
in?) would be appreciated. I'm editing in Intellij (I opened the pom
with IntelliJ, which in turn created a project). Im doing Build >
Rebuild project to try and trigger the refresh, but no go.

Any input on possible configuration changes/options woud be appreciated.

Thanks
Josh

Re: Reloading component templates from Maven's jetty plugin

Posted by Olle Hallin <ol...@gmail.com>.
I'm not an IntelliJ user myself, but I have a vague memory of a collegue
that had problems like these.
I think you must configure IntelliJ to copy .tml files from
src/main/resources to target/classes (where Tapestry can find them).
It does not do this out of the box.

HTH,
Olle

2008/12/21 kace <me...@hotmail.com>

> I have the same setup but haven't been able to get my project to pick up
> changes to classes or component templates  but it does work for pages
> within
> webabb.
>
> I run the maven command from within itellij IDEA `process classes` for it
> pick up the changes to the classes and `process resources` to pick up
> changes made to the component templates inside src/main/resources without
> having to re-run the app.
>
> Hope this helps for now...
>
> ..kace

Olle Hallin
Senior Java Developer and Architect
olle.hallin@crisp.se
www.crisp.se

Re: Reloading component templates from Maven's jetty plugin

Posted by kace <me...@hotmail.com>.
I have the same setup but haven't been able to get my project to pick up
changes to classes or component templates  but it does work for pages within
webabb.

I run the maven command from within itellij IDEA `process classes` for it to

Posted by Olle Hallin <ol...@gmail.com>.
How is your IDE configured?
In Eclipse, it is possible to set it to build automatically when a file is
saved.
For .tml files, "build" means copy it from src/main/resources to
target/classes.

It is also possible to turn this feature off, requiring one to both save
(Ctrl-S) and build (Ctrl-B) before a change is picked up by Tapestry.

HTH,
Olle

Posted by Josh Long <st...@gmail.com>.
Hello,

--
Joshua Long
http://www.joshlong.com/

Re: Reloading component templates from Maven's jetty plugin

Posted by Olle Hallin <ol...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Olle Hallin <ol...@gmail.com>.
Classes under myapp.components, myapp.pages, myapp.base and myapp.mixins are
hot-deployed by Tapestry.
Exclude these from the Jetty hot-deploy feature.

Olle

Posted by Josh Long <st...@gmail.com>.
Thank you for the help. I've adjusted my IntelliJ environment as you
suggested and its working, sort of.
It does seem like a waste, though. For my page templates I need only make a
change and jetty scans it and makes the change. With the component
templates, jetty perceives it as a class change, which necessitates a
restart of the web app.

This is, frankly, no better than using JSF with the jetty plugin.

What, exactly, is the use case described in the docs where it says component
and page templates will be reloaded? I have no doubt it works somewhere, but
it's not fully elaborated upon. What do I have to use/ do to have true
reloading of component an page templates without restarting the app? Do I
need Eclipse on OS X with Tomcat? What's the happy path of that feature? I'm
willing to switch to whatever it is...

Thanks, as usual, for your indulgence,
Josh
http://www.joshlong.com

On Sun, Dec 21, 2008 at 2:41 PM, Hugo Palma <hu...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I have that same setup running without any problems, T5 + Jetty + Maven +
> IntelliJ.
> Can you check if IntelliJ is copying your templates to the build directory
> (target/classes) ?
>
> If not then check if you have the following configured:
>
> - src/main/resources configured as a source directory in IntelliJ.
> - you have configured IntelliJ to compile .tml files. (Settings -> Compiler
> -> Resource Patterns)
>
> On Sun, Dec 21, 2008 at 7:46 AM, Josh Long <st...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > I have a maven project generated usig the stock mvn archetype for
> tapestry
> > 5.
> >
> > According to the docs, component templates should be in
> > src/main/resources/.  I can't seem to get those to 'reload' correctly,
> > forcing me to ctrl + c the maven jetty plug in and re run.
> >
> > Any input on how to change this (from tapestry or the maven jetty plug
> > in?) would be appreciated. I'm editing in Intellij (I opened the pom
> > with IntelliJ, which in turn created a project). Im doing Build >
> > Rebuild project to try and trigger the refresh, but no go.
> >
> > Any input on possible configuration changes/options woud be appreciated.
> >
> > Thanks
> > Josh

Joshua Long
http://www.joshlong.com/

Re: Reloading component templates from Maven's jetty plugin

Posted by Hugo Palma <hu...@gmail.com>.