Posted to user@hbase.apache.org by Patrick Schless <pa...@gmail.com> on 2013/06/17 21:06:15 UTC

Replication - ports/hosts

Working on setting up HBase replication across a VPN tunnel, and following
the docs here: [1] (and here: [2]).

Two questions, regarding firewall allowances required:
1) The docs say that the zookeeper clusters must be able to reach each
other. I don't see any docs on why this is (the high-level diagram doesn't
even show a ZK ensemble on the client side). Is it correct that the ZK
ensembles need to communicate with each other?

2) What ports are required to be open for inter-cluster Region Server
communication? Is it only the slave that needs to accept requests from the
master, or does the master also accept incoming requests from the slaves?

Thanks,
Patrick

[1] http://hbase.apache.org/replication.html
[2]
http://hbase.apache.org/apidocs/org/apache/hadoop/hbase/replication/package-summary.html#requirements

Re: Replication - ports/hosts

Posted by Stack <st...@duboce.net>.
(Thank you Michel)

Re: Replication - ports/hosts

Posted by Stack <st...@duboce.net>.

Re: Replication - ports/hosts

Posted by Michel Segel <mi...@hotmail.com>.

Re: Replication - ports/hosts

Posted by Shahab Yunus <sh...@gmail.com>.
Though experts can chime in and would know better but can't Hadoop/Hbase
authentication (Kerberos) be used for making sure that only the right
clusters (salve/master) combo are talking to each other? Or would we need
something more, outside of HBase even?

Regards,
Shahab

On Wed, Jun 19, 2013 at 11:57 AM, Patrick Schless <patrick.schless@gmail.com