Posted to marketing@couchdb.apache.org by Jan Lehnardt <ja...@apache.org> on 2015/09/15 21:51:55 UTC

[VOTE] WHY/HOW/WHAT

Hi all,

as promised, here’s the vote for our new Slogan, Mission Statement, and Description.

We have two contestants.

Before I show them to you, here are the rules:

1. These aren’t final-copy-edit versions, but rough drafts that convey ideas. After voting, we’ll go through them with a fine-toothed comb to get things all shiny.

2. The proposals don’t mean to capture a laundry list of your favourite features of CouchDB. They are supposed to express the focal point that our community gathers around, the thing that we all have in common, what excites us all about CouchDB. Vote accordingly.

3. This emails contains two proposals. Vote by replying to this email with your vote just under each proposal where it says “Your Vote Here”.

4. Vote with +1 (I support this), +/-0 (I’m indifferent, but no harm done either way), -1 (I don’t like this, for reasons A, B and C, (and please do include your reasons)).

5. You are welcome to qualify your vote with your take on either proposal.

A note: Johs, I took some inspiration from your WHAT-part, I hope you don’t mind ;) —  I think we are essentially voting on WHY and HOW anyway, as the WHAT is roughly the same idea.

Without further ado, here are our proposals.

* * *

Proposal #1:

Slogan: Data where you need it. (WHY)

Mission Statement: Apache CouchDB lets you access your data where you need it by defining the Couch Replication Protocol that is implemented by a variety of projects and products that span every imaginable computing environment from distributed server-clusters, over mobile phones to web browsers. (HOW)

Description: Store your data safely, on your own servers, or with any leading cloud provider. Your web- and native applications love CouchDB, because it speaks JSON natively and supports binary attachments for all your data storage needs. The Couch Replication Protocol lets your data flow seamlessly between server clusters to mobile phones and web browsers, enabling a compelling, offline-first, user-experience while maintaining high performance and strong reliability. CouchDB comes with a developer-friendly query language, and optionally MapReduce for simple, efficient, and comprehensive data retrieval. (WHAT)

Your Vote Here

* * *

Proposal #2:

Slogan: Restful freedom (WHY)

Mission Statement: Data that sync (HOW)

Store your data safely, on your own servers or with any leading cloud provider. Your web applications can follow the data if you want since CouchDB speaks JSON with any file type attached. It lets you run your JavaScript on the server or in the browser. You can start with the smallest of technology stacks and grow to serve millions of users -- following a learning curve that doesn't break. Keep your data in sync and where your users need it to be, on the device of their preference, online or offline. Share, combine, present, receive and update documents via master-to-master replication and let web based services monitor changes for additional processing. (WHAT)

Your Vote Here

* * *

Thanks!
Jan

Re: [VOTE] WHY/HOW/WHAT

Posted by Johs Ensby <jo...@b2w.com>.
+1
johs

Re: [VOTE] WHY/HOW/WHAT

Posted by Joan Touzet <wo...@apache.org>.
My vote and reasoning matches Michelle's. Would be happy to see
more options and an additional vote, if people prefer.

-Joan

Re: [VOTE] WHY/HOW/WHAT

Posted by Michelle Phung <mi...@apache.org>.
#1: +1
#2: -1
reasons are inline

Re: [VOTE] WHY/HOW/WHAT

Posted by Nick Pavlica <li...@gmail.com>.

> Proposal #1:
>
> Slogan: Data where you need it. (WHY)
>
>  +1 -> I still like this proposal the best, especially after having
> several months to kick it around.
>

> Proposal #2:
>
> Slogan: Restful freedom (WHY)

    -1 -> Because it's to generic, and doesn't lead me to a conclusion as
to a why, what, or how.

Regards!
--Nick

Re: [VOTE] WHY/HOW/WHAT

Posted by ermouth <er...@gmail.com>.
As for slogans: -1, -1

#1 slogan is too wide, fits any IT-related biz.

Verizon wireless. Data were you need it.
Kingston. Data were you need it.
Bloomberg. Data were you need it.
MySQL. Data were you need it.
... etc.

#2 is bit hippy, as for me.

I have a proposal. Seems there exist about 10 slogan options. Shouldn‘t we
first pick a slogan from the full list of options we have?

Seems that ol consisting only of slogans can be very compact, well
readable, easy to vote and can attract more attention.

As for mission and description – they are important, but much less
significant in terms of brand‘s first impression. So may be it‘s reasonable
to exclude mission/description on current stage? I don‘t even sure they
require voting.

ermouth

Re: [VOTE] WHY/HOW/WHAT

Posted by Harald Kisch <ha...@gmail.com>.
Proposal 1: -1
Proposal 2: -1

I dont like both proposals, too because they are to much related to data
storage, as all the other databases on the market which can be used as
stupid data stores. Yes, CouchDB is a database, but with a JavaScript core
in it, hey should'nt we mention that?
AND it is also:
* a Webserver
* an Web-App-Engine
* a HTTP/HTTPS speaking Any-Device- and
* a Any-File Replicator

We shold take that in mind and claim it to all the users out there. I
think, they will be more interested in *-Features than in just another data
store and hey, there are people who doesn't know something about "speaking
JSON", "technology stack", "replication protocol".

-- Harald

On Tue, Sep 15, 2015 at 9:51 PM, Jan Lehnardt <ja...@apache.org> wrote:

> [...]
>
> Your Vote Here
>
> * * *
>
> Proposal #2:
>
> Slogan: Restful freedom (WHY)
>
> Mission Statement: Data that sync (HOW)

> Store your data safely, on your own servers or with any leading cloud
> provider. Your web applications can follow the data if you want since
> CouchDB speaks JSON with any file type attached. It lets you run your
> JavaScript on the server or in the browser. You can start with the smallest
> of technology stacks and grow to serve millions of users -- following a
> learning curve that doesn't break. Keep your data in sync and where your
> users need it to be, on the device of their preference, online or offline.
> Share, combine, present, receive and update documents via master-to-master
> replication and let web based services monitor changes for additional

Dipl.-Inf. Harald R. Kisch

Büro besetzt von Di - Do 9:00 Uhr bis 18:00 Uhr
Jahnstr. 3
80469 München
Germany

Tel: +49 (0) 89 41 61 58 57-6
Mobil DE: +49 (0) 176 56 58 58 38

Skype: harald.kisch
Mail: haraldkisch@gmail.com

Re: [VOTE] WHY/HOW/WHAT

Posted by Sebastian Rothbucher <se...@googlemail.com>.
Hi,

thanks for all the effort of putting these things together. pls. find my
votes below (if I'm not eligible 2 vote pls. take it as feedback ;-) ).

Thanks
      Sebastian

On Tue, Sep 15, 2015 at 9:51 PM, Jan Lehnardt <ja...@apache.org> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> as promised, here’s the vote for our new Slogan, Mission Statement, and
> Description.
>
> We have two contestants.
>
> Before I show them to you, here are the rules:
>
> 1. These aren’t final-copy-edit versions, but rough drafts that convey
> ideas. After voting, we’ll go through them with a fine-toothed comb to get
> things all shiny.
>
> 2. The proposals don’t mean to capture a laundry list of your favourite
> features of CouchDB. They are supposed to express the focal point that our
> community gathers around, the thing that we all have in common, what
> excites us all about CouchDB. Vote accordingly.
>
> 3. This emails contains two proposals. Vote by replying to this email with
> your vote just under each proposal where it says “Your Vote Here”.
>
> 4. Vote with +1 (I support this), +/-0 (I’m indifferent, but no harm done
> either way), -1 (I don’t like this, for reasons A, B and C, (and please do
> include your reasons)).
>
> 5. You are welcome to qualify your vote with your take on either proposal.
>

> A note: Johs, I took some inspiration from your WHAT-part, I hope you
> don’t mind ;) —  I think we are essentially voting on WHY and HOW anyway,
> as the WHAT is roughly the same idea.
>
> Without further ado, here are our proposals.
>
> * * *
>
> Proposal #1:
>
> Slogan: Data where you need it. (WHY)
>
> Mission Statement: Apache CouchDB lets you access your data where you need
> it by defining the Couch Replication Protocol that is implemented by a
> variety of projects and products that span every imaginable computing
> environment from distributed server-clusters, over mobile phones to web
> browsers. (HOW)

> leading cloud provider. Your web- and native applications love CouchDB,
> because it speaks JSON natively and supports binary attachments for all
> your data storage needs. The Couch Replication Protocol lets your data flow
> seamlessly between server clusters to mobile phones and web browsers,
> enabling a compelling, offline-first, user-experience while maintaining
> high performance and strong reliability. CouchDB comes with a
> developer-friendly query language, and optionally MapReduce for simple,
> efficient, and comprehensive data retrieval. (WHAT)
>
> Your Vote Here

+1
maybe one small improvement: mention that all you need is HTTP/REST to
access data. Maybe "[...] data retrieval. All you need to get started is
CouchDB and curl". But I would not insist. I like the work above as it is.

> Proposal #2:
>
> Slogan: Restful freedom (WHY)
>
> Mission Statement: Data that sync (HOW)

> Store your data safely, on your own servers or with any leading cloud
> provider. Your web applications can follow the data if you want since
> CouchDB speaks JSON with any file type attached. It lets you run your
> JavaScript on the server or in the browser. You can start with the smallest
> of technology stacks and grow to serve millions of users -- following a
> learning curve that doesn't break. Keep your data in sync and where your
> users need it to be, on the device of their preference, online or offline.
> Share, combine, present, receive and update documents via master-to-master
> replication and let web based services monitor changes for additional
> processing. (WHAT)
>
> Your Vote Here

-1 "freedom" lacks explanation, and it's foremost still a database, not a
sync tool (though syncing is its strong plus). Yet: going only for sync
missses the point whereas #1 cares about "data" as it's a _data_base

Re: [VOTE] WHY/HOW/WHAT

Posted by Andy Wenk <an...@apache.org>.
Jan, thanks for putting this together ... my votes below as requested.

On 15 September 2015 at 21:51, Jan Lehnardt <ja...@apache.org> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> as promised, here’s the vote for our new Slogan, Mission Statement, and
> Description.
>
> We have two contestants.
>
> Before I show them to you, here are the rules:
>
> 1. These aren’t final-copy-edit versions, but rough drafts that convey
> ideas. After voting, we’ll go through them with a fine-toothed comb to get
> things all shiny.
>
> 2. The proposals don’t mean to capture a laundry list of your favourite
> features of CouchDB. They are supposed to express the focal point that our
> community gathers around, the thing that we all have in common, what
> excites us all about CouchDB. Vote accordingly.
>
> 3. This emails contains two proposals. Vote by replying to this email with
> your vote just under each proposal where it says “Your Vote Here”.
>
> 4. Vote with +1 (I support this), +/-0 (I’m indifferent, but no harm done
> either way), -1 (I don’t like this, for reasons A, B and C, (and please do
> include your reasons)).
>
> 5. You are welcome to qualify your vote with your take on either proposal.
>

> A note: Johs, I took some inspiration from your WHAT-part, I hope you
> don’t mind ;) —  I think we are essentially voting on WHY and HOW anyway,
> as the WHAT is roughly the same idea.
>
> Without further ado, here are our proposals.
>
> * * *
>
> Proposal #1:
>
> Slogan: Data where you need it. (WHY)
>
> Mission Statement: Apache CouchDB lets you access your data where you need
> it by defining the Couch Replication Protocol that is implemented by a
> variety of projects and products that span every imaginable computing
> environment from distributed server-clusters, over mobile phones to web
> browsers. (HOW)

> leading cloud provider. Your web- and native applications love CouchDB,
> because it speaks JSON natively and supports binary attachments for all
> your data storage needs. The Couch Replication Protocol lets your data flow
> seamlessly between server clusters to mobile phones and web browsers,
> enabling a compelling, offline-first, user-experience while maintaining
> high performance and strong reliability. CouchDB comes with a
> developer-friendly query language, and optionally MapReduce for simple,
> efficient, and comprehensive data retrieval. (WHAT)
>
> Your Vote Here

+1

> * * *
>
> Proposal #2:
>
> Slogan: Restful freedom (WHY)
>
> Mission Statement: Data that sync (HOW)

> Store your data safely, on your own servers or with any leading cloud
> provider. Your web applications can follow the data if you want since
> CouchDB speaks JSON with any file type attached. It lets you run your
> JavaScript on the server or in the browser. You can start with the smallest
> of technology stacks and grow to serve millions of users -- following a
> learning curve that doesn't break. Keep your data in sync and where your
> users need it to be, on the device of their preference, online or offline.
> Share, combine, present, receive and update documents via master-to-master
> replication and let web based services monitor changes for additional
> processing. (WHAT)
>
> Your Vote Here

-1

"Restful freedom" is a bit to emotional or dramatic for me (in German:
pathetisch). I like "Data that sync" but "Data where you need it" is much
more powerful for me.

> * * *
>
> Thanks!
> Jan
> --

Cheers

Andy

--
Andy Wenk
Hamburg - Germany

Re: [VOTE] WHY/HOW/WHAT

Posted by Jan Lehnardt <ja...@apache.org>.
> On 15 Sep 2015, at 22:23, Miles Fidelman <mf...@meetinghouse.net> wrote:
>
> Proposal #1: 0
> Proposal #2: 0
>
> Both of them are horrible.  They capture little of the discussion of the past several months.  The slogans are uninspired and uninspiring. The rest is wordy.

Respectfully, please put forward something you’d like to see.

Best
Jan

Re: [VOTE] WHY/HOW/WHAT

Posted by Miles Fidelman <mf...@meetinghouse.net>.
Proposal #1: 0

Re: [VOTE] WHY/HOW/WHAT

Posted by Jan Lehnardt <ja...@apache.org>.
> On 15 Sep 2015, at 21:51, Jan Lehnardt <ja...@apache.org> wrote:
>
> Hi all,
>
> as promised, here’s the vote for our new Slogan, Mission Statement, and Description.
>
> We have two contestants.
>
> Before I show them to you, here are the rules:
>
> 1. These aren’t final-copy-edit versions, but rough drafts that convey ideas. After voting, we’ll go through them with a fine-toothed comb to get things all shiny.
>
> 2. The proposals don’t mean to capture a laundry list of your favourite features of CouchDB. They are supposed to express the focal point that our community gathers around, the thing that we all have in common, what excites us all about CouchDB. Vote accordingly.
>
> 3. This emails contains two proposals. Vote by replying to this email with your vote just under each proposal where it says “Your Vote Here”.
>
> 4. Vote with +1 (I support this), +/-0 (I’m indifferent, but no harm done either way), -1 (I don’t like this, for reasons A, B and C, (and please do include your reasons)).
>
> 5. You are welcome to qualify your vote with your take on either proposal.
>

> A note: Johs, I took some inspiration from your WHAT-part, I hope you don’t mind ;) —  I think we are essentially voting on WHY and HOW anyway, as the WHAT is roughly the same idea.
>
> Without further ado, here are our proposals.
>
> * * *
>
> Proposal #1:
>
> Slogan: Data where you need it. (WHY)
>
> Mission Statement: Apache CouchDB lets you access your data where you need it by defining the Couch Replication Protocol that is implemented by a variety of projects and products that span every imaginable computing environment from distributed server-clusters, over mobile phones to web browsers. (HOW)
>
> Description: Store your data safely, on your own servers, or with any leading cloud provider. Your web- and native applications love CouchDB, because it speaks JSON natively and supports binary attachments for all your data storage needs. The Couch Replication Protocol lets your data flow seamlessly between server clusters to mobile phones and web browsers, enabling a compelling, offline-first, user-experience while maintaining high performance and strong reliability. CouchDB comes with a developer-friendly query language, and optionally MapReduce for simple, efficient, and comprehensive data retrieval. (WHAT)
>
> Your Vote Here

+1

I believe the WHY captures the one thing that we all share of the things that excite us about CouchDB and what embodies the core potential of CouchDB. The HOW and WHAT parts will need some copy-editing to read a litte nicer, but I think content-wise they capture what most people will find appealing when they look at CouchDB.

> * * *
>
> Proposal #2:
>
> Slogan: Restful freedom (WHY)
>
> Mission Statement: Data that sync (HOW)

> Store your data safely, on your own servers or with any leading cloud provider. Your web applications can follow the data if you want since CouchDB speaks JSON with any file type attached. It lets you run your JavaScript on the server or in the browser. You can start with the smallest of technology stacks and grow to serve millions of users -- following a learning curve that doesn't break. Keep your data in sync and where your users need it to be, on the device of their preference, online or offline. Share, combine, present, receive and update documents via master-to-master replication and let web based services monitor changes for additional processing. (WHAT)
>
> Your Vote Here

-1

Aside from the (intentional) grammar-nit in the HOW that I can’t get beyond, I think the WHY, while it does express what we are about, doesn’t quite capture what we are about in a way that addresses our end-users needs or pains. It would be more fitting as for a community-internal, say, event or something like that.

Best
Jan

Re: [VOTE] WHY/HOW/WHAT

Posted by Sebastian Rothbucher <se...@googlemail.com>.
great - thanks!!

Re: [VOTE] WHY/HOW/WHAT

Posted by Giovanni Lenzi <g....@smileupps.com>.
+1 for using twitter

--
Giovanni Lenzi
www.smileupps.com

Re: [VOTE] WHY/HOW/WHAT

Posted by Johs Ensby <jo...@b2w.com>.
+1 on using Twitter for this

Re: [VOTE-CANCELLED] WHY/HOW/WHAT

Posted by Andy Wenk <an...@apache.org>.
Hi all,

as the vote is now canceled, I suggest to also close this thread as it does
have many different outcomes and not the one as it started.

I will open a new thread shortly with the list ermouth compiled (plus
additional ones maybe) and with some info about how to collaborate to find
a good solution.

Thanks for a bit patience and your efforts!

All the best

Andy

--
Andy Wenk
Hamburg - Germany

Re: [VOTE-CANCELLED] WHY/HOW/WHAT

Posted by Jan Lehnardt <ja...@apache.org>.

Re: [VOTE] WHY/HOW/WHAT

Posted by Johs Ensby <jo...@b2w.com>.
Jan,

Re: The future of couchapps

Posted by Nick Pavlica <li...@gmail.com>.
All,
  I'm so happy that Jan and the PMC have finally took a hard stance on this
subject.  I've always felt like CouchApps were overly coupled and a bad
idea from the start, and I'm happy to see them go.  However, I understand
that we all have different needs and philosophies.  For my business use
case, I've been waiting since 2010 for a built in clustering solution, and
I'm still waiting.   As a small businessman I don't have the resources to
make a living, and build all the features that I want in CouchDB, other
DB's, frameworks, and languages that I use.  So I understand the
frustration associated with that paradigm.  I try to help as much as I can
in all of these projects, but really just have to live with what the
community as a whole decides to do.  In some cases I spend allot of time
trying to contribute, as I did with the new CouchDB logo development, and
we still don't have a new logo pushed out yet.  I saw something that was
important to me, and I did what I could to help improve the situation.  And
that's what I think that Jan, and the PMC members are really asking for.

Thanks!
--Nick

Re: The Future of Couch: [Was: The future of couchapps]

Posted by Alexander Shorin <kx...@gmail.com>.
On Sun, Sep 20, 2015 at 4:26 AM, Miles Fidelman
<mf...@meetinghouse.net> wrote:
> - Whatever happened to geoCouch?

It's fine and AFAIK, @vmx is working on make it compatible with 2.0.
Cloudant didn't declare that feature they want to contribute. AFAIK,
again.

> - What's the general direction of the CouchDB ecosystem.  Are we seeing
> Cloudant diverge from Couch, with IBM-supported features not making their
> way back into the open source version of Couch?

We'll the other so far: Cloudant goes to be CouchDB 2.0 + extra
features, which they cannot open source now (like chained map/reduce),
or which we cannot include by default (like FTS because of Java). The
general direction in 2.0 era is to make CouchDB scale and extend
right, and find a balance between needs of regular and enterprise
users on that domain.

--
,,,^..^,,,

Re: The Future of Couch: [Was: The future of couchapps]

Posted by Johs Ensby <jo...@b2w.com>.
Miles,
the question you are asking about IMB-supported features was answered a year ago according to http://www.informationweek.com/big-data/software-platforms/ibm-cloudant-will-power-local-data-centers-apple-apps/d/d-id/1316965 <http://www.informationweek.com/big-data/software-platforms/ibm-cloudant-will-power-local-data-centers-apple-apps/d/d-id/1316965>
An confirmation that this is the case from Cloudant wold be good.

"CouchDB 2.0 is essentially the code that Cloudant already runs, and once 2.0 is out, the Cloudant team will be working directly against Apache repositories and all of our bug-fixing and improvements will go directly to CouchDB," said Bob Newson, a senior engineer at Cloudant who is a member of the Apache CouchDB Project Management Committee, in a phone interview with InformationWeek. "Our thrust over the last year has been to consolidate the code bases because we don't want forks, and the only things in Cloudant that won't be in the Apache offering will be the proprietary bits we add on to manage the service."

Your question "Are we seeing Cloudant diverge from Couch" is as interesting to me to get an answer to as the comment I am getting on Jan's "watch me".
I really need to see a clear policy on this.

Johs

Posted by Miles Fidelman <mf...@meetinghouse.net>.

Re: The future of couchapps

Posted by Johs Ensby <jo...@b2w.com>.
Robert,

> All these endpoints will be in CouchDB 2.0.
> In the event that _rewrite, _update, _show and _list become an optional add-on, Cloudant will deploy that add-on to all our clusters.

This clarification was very much appreciated.

Respectfully,
Johs

Re: The future of couchapps

Posted by Robert Samuel Newson <rn...@apache.org>.
Johs,

Re: The future of couchapps

Posted by Johs Ensby <jo...@b2w.com>.
Thanks Robert,

Re: The future of couchapps

Posted by Robert Newson <rn...@apache.org>.

Re: The future of couchapps

Posted by Johs Ensby <jo...@b2w.com>.
Thanks Joan,
for wrapping this up in a 100% PMC support for Jan's "watch me" on this.
It is good to know, so we who could contribute, but not as erlang programmers, hold our horses.
I understand that we can be a big nuisance as long as there is no one to do the development work on the team.

Just to sum my take-away:
The PMC will wholeheartedly welcome the continuation of work for what we without a good breakdown of what it means call "couchapps" provided there is a "hero" to do the heavy lifting in terms of erlang programming
We should not count on even the present functionality for "Couchapps" being present in future releases

To #1 I attribute these statements:
> Jan Lehnardt 18. sep. 2015
> In my last email I specifically suggested for such a person to step up and I’d welcome them wholeheartedly.

>> Alexander Shorin  September 19, 2015

>> this place is vacant and we are welcome everyone who would
>> like to take this duty on his/her shoulders.

and to #2 I look at:
Jan's "watch me" response to Giovanni's
>> - you can't remove something that ALREADY exists which A LOT of
>> people like, use and have businesses on top, just because you and a few
>> people

and
Alex'

Re: The future of couchapps

Posted by Joan Touzet <wo...@apache.org>.

Re: The future of couchapps

Posted by Alexander Shorin <kx...@gmail.com>.
Hi John,

The future of couchapps

Posted by Johs Ensby <jo...@b2w.com>.

Re: [VOTE] WHY/HOW/WHAT

Posted by Giovanni Lenzi <g....@smileupps.com>.

> > Respectfully Jan, for direction in establishing the future you may listen
> > to yourself and/or active erlang devs only, but this direction simply
> don't
> > have community consensus. And this conflicts with the apache way!!!
>
> No, it is exactly in line with the Apache Way, those who do the work get
> to decide where the direction is going. The Apache Way is decidedly NOT
> some folks who prettyplease want features, but don’t feel compelled to
> build what they want.

Sorry, I was sure I read something about it ... here it is:

>> QUOTING http://couchdb.apache.org/bylaws.html
>>2.1. Users
>>The most important participants in the project are people who use our
software.

>>Users can participate by talking about the project, providing feedback,
and helping others. This can be done at the ASF or elsewhere, and includes
being active on the user mailing list, third-party support forums, blogs,
and social media. Users who participate in this way automatically become
contributors.

Probably I misunderstood the meaning of this... so thanks for your
clarifying answer!

Re: [VOTE] WHY/HOW/WHAT

Posted by Giovanni Lenzi <g....@smileupps.com>.
>> 8: database for the web!!!
> That I like
Glad you like it :)

> we can consider you as hostile against the CouchDB project and treat you
accordingly.

Your words are the only hostile things imho.. Anyway my post was much more
general and I was not asking of pushing Couchapps! But, even if actually
Smileupps can't contribute also with erlang code, I really hope in the
future we can afford to push some of our devs in the team too. So what I
was asking with my previous post was to not close the door to couchapps for
the future (e.g. by not mentioning or denying their usefulness). Is it
possible?

> CouchApp 2.0 ... I am still very eager to work on it, but RIGHT NOW, we
don’t have the resources as the project

I'm glad you say this. This reflects exactly our current position too :(
but I still hope in the future we can afford to work together on this.

Best

> [...]
> collectively to understand what the nature of it is.
>
> 2. Of course I cannot erase what CouchDB COULD BE, but CouchDB can only be
> what people are working on, and nobody is working on CouchApps, so I’m
> going with a vision that is backed up by the technology we have and working
> on.
>
> * * *
>
> I repeat: You won’t hold the project ransom for something you want, if you
> are not prepared to do the hard work of making your vision a reality.
>
> * * *
>
> And as I’ve outlined a number of times, I have a pretty good idea of how
> the Couch/Appserver thing could look like in the future, and it’d be 10000%
> better than what CouchApp has ever been, and I am still very eager to work
> on it, but RIGHT NOW, we don’t have the resources as the project, and we
> should focus on the the thing that makes CouchDB RELEVANT in the current
> computing ecosystem, not what a bunch of far-out developers find
> interesting.
>
> All major platform vendors today (Google, Facebook, Microsoft, Apple and
> Amazon) have a Backend-as-a-Service type offering with various degrees of
> sync/offline working.
>
> CouchDB + related projects are THE ONLY OPEN SOURCE alternative in this
> game, and it is a MASSIVE opportunity for us, not some esoteric way to do
> db/app-server stuff, that is hard to understand and that has (relatively)
> barely any users. We can make a SIGNIFICANT impact on the computing
> landscape of tomorrow, and I’m not interested in wasting that opportunity.
>
> Again, the project doesn’t have the resources to develop this further, and
> once we do, we have a fairly solid idea of how CouchApp 2.0 *could* look
> like, but RIGHT NOW, and probably EVEN THEN, this won’t be the major
> differentiator for a World Class Database System™.
>
> We are trying to put CouchDB on the path to success again, against fierce
> competition with hundreds of millions of dollars of VC funding that goes
> into engineering and marketing. We must focus on how we can make a
> difference with our limited resources in THAT CONTEXT, and an esoteric app
> programming platform is NOT it.
>
> * * *
>
> One final time:
>
> CouchDB is Open Source, if you want to see it going into a particularly
> direction, you are VERY welcome to do the work and push things forward and
> you will receive all the support you can imagine.
>
> If you continue to try to push the project into a different direction by
> not getting to work, but by just wasting the time of the people who spend
> their time on moving CouchDB forward, then we can consider you as hostile
> against the CouchDB project and treat you accordingly.
>
> This is isn’t just my personal opinion, I have the backup of the entire
> CouchDB PMC and the ASF Board. If you have any issues with that, I suggest
> you come to terms with the situation, or get to work as outlined above.

These kind of words are hostile, not surely my words!

Re: [VOTE] WHY/HOW/WHAT

Posted by Jan Lehnardt <ja...@apache.org>.
> On 18 Sep 2015, at 06:52, Giovanni Lenzi <g....@smileupps.com> wrote:
>
> I add:
> 8: database for the web!!!

That I like.

> 9: not just a database
> 10: Not only a database
>
> #8 +1: I think this is still the best option because it does not refer to a
> specific feature, and has the element/target which couchdb is all
> about/around
>
> Respectfully Jan, for direction in establishing the future you may listen
> to yourself and/or active erlang devs only, but this direction simply don't
> have community consensus. And this conflicts with the apache way!!!

No, it is exactly in line with the Apache Way, those who do the work get to decide where the direction is going. The Apache Way is decidedly NOT some folks who prettyplease want features, but don’t feel compelled to build what they want.

> Also imho it's a wrong approach due to some considerations:
> - active devs are active now... who knows until when? (and this is true for
> you too and the VC chair)

This is always true, I don’t see how this bears specially on this case.

> - you don't know if tomorrow some erlang skilled couchapp lover won't get
> in and start working on the app part (to say the truth some of them were
> already active in the past, but they chose to left just because of
> this/yours direction)

In my last email I specifically suggested for such a person to step up and I’d welcome them wholeheartedly.

> - you can't remove something that ALREADY exists which A LOT of people
> like, use and have businesses on top, just because you and a few people
> don't like it

Watch me.

> But above all:
> - you can't erase what Couchdb has been, what it is actually and what it
> COULD BE!

1. We can always go in a new direction without erasing what it had been in the past. This happens all the time. And we’ve done it a bunch of times. CouchDB is so unique in what it does that it took us a couple of years collectively to understand what the nature of it is.

2. Of course I cannot erase what CouchDB COULD BE, but CouchDB can only be what people are working on, and nobody is working on CouchApps, so I’m going with a vision that is backed up by the technology we have and working on.

* * *

I repeat: You won’t hold the project ransom for something you want, if you are not prepared to do the hard work of making your vision a reality.

* * *

And as I’ve outlined a number of times, I have a pretty good idea of how the Couch/Appserver thing could look like in the future, and it’d be 10000% better than what CouchApp has ever been, and I am still very eager to work on it, but RIGHT NOW, we don’t have the resources as the project, and we should focus on the the thing that makes CouchDB RELEVANT in the current computing ecosystem, not what a bunch of far-out developers find interesting.

All major platform vendors today (Google, Facebook, Microsoft, Apple and Amazon) have a Backend-as-a-Service type offering with various degrees of sync/offline working.

CouchDB + related projects are THE ONLY OPEN SOURCE alternative in this game, and it is a MASSIVE opportunity for us, not some esoteric way to do db/app-server stuff, that is hard to understand and that has (relatively) barely any users. We can make a SIGNIFICANT impact on the computing landscape of tomorrow, and I’m not interested in wasting that opportunity.

Again, the project doesn’t have the resources to develop this further, and once we do, we have a fairly solid idea of how CouchApp 2.0 *could* look like, but RIGHT NOW, and probably EVEN THEN, this won’t be the major differentiator for a World Class Database System™.

We are trying to put CouchDB on the path to success again, against fierce competition with hundreds of millions of dollars of VC funding that goes into engineering and marketing. We must focus on how we can make a difference with our limited resources in THAT CONTEXT, and an esoteric app programming platform is NOT it.

* * *

One final time:

CouchDB is Open Source, if you want to see it going into a particularly direction, you are VERY welcome to do the work and push things forward and you will receive all the support you can imagine.

If you continue to try to push the project into a different direction by not getting to work, but by just wasting the time of the people who spend their time on moving CouchDB forward, then we can consider you as hostile against the CouchDB project and treat you accordingly.

Re: [VOTE] WHY/HOW/WHAT

Posted by Giovanni Lenzi <g....@smileupps.com>.
I add:
8: database for the web!!!
9: not just a database
10: Not only a database

#8 +1: I think this is still the best option because it does not refer to a

#1 and #2 are equal to Jan‘s list.

ermouth

Re: [VOTE] WHY/HOW/WHAT

Posted by Andy Wenk <an...@apache.org>.
thank you J Ermouth

--
Andy Wenk
Hamburg - Germany

Re: [VOTE] WHY/HOW/WHAT

Posted by ermouth <er...@gmail.com>.

#1 and #2 are equal to Jan‘s list.

ermouth

Re: [VOTE] WHY/HOW/WHAT

Posted by Andy Wenk <an...@apache.org>.
all, please stop with this nonsense. We will definitely not use a Slogan
including "kickass". We need constructive ideas ... not ironic statements.

Thank you

All the best

Andy

Re: [VOTE] WHY/HOW/WHAT

Posted by Harald Kisch <ha...@gmail.com>.

Re: [VOTE] WHY/HOW/WHAT

Posted by Johs Ensby <jo...@b2w.com>.

Re: [VOTE] WHY/HOW/WHAT

Posted by Jan Lehnardt <ja...@apache.org>.

Re: [VOTE] WHY/HOW/WHAT

Posted by ermouth <er...@gmail.com>.

Re: [VOTE] WHY/HOW/WHAT

Posted by Giovanni Lenzi <g....@smileupps.com>.
#1: 0
#2: 0

I think that speaking of couchdb as a data container only, doesn't capture
the essence of couchdb... probably it was at version 0.1, but not at
current stage. Also it isn't a distinguishing feature.

> * what went wrong?  * how and where do we collect ideas about a slogan?
Both slogan don't capture what CouchDB is for all of us. Everyone
personally cares different different features of CouchDB.  I remember there
were two different positions in the past:
1. couchdb is a database server with the best replication protocol around
2. couchdb is the above but with a lot of distinguishing features, that
others simply don't have. As Harald said: "* is a Webserver * an
Web-App-Engine * a HTTP/HTTPS speaking Any-Device- and * a Any-File
Replicator", but maybe even more..

What went wrong is that we are still stuck in this dilemma. I like #2 and I
personally think it is just an enlarged view of #1. This means it should
theorically have consensus of all, but unfortunately this is not the case.
Just wondering: could we have a vote on these two sentences before
proceeding with the slogan?

For the Slogan voting process:

> Let the web site description be the WHAT for now

Agree with Alexander and Johs that current description suits very well for
the WHAT, because it summarize well all CouchDB features.

>Seems that ol consisting only of slogans can be very compact, well
>readable, easy to vote and can attract more attention.

Agree 100% with ermouth. There were some slogan options in the past, why
not adding them to this list, vote for the WHY and then find a HOW for
that? Could be much more easy than finding the WHY/HOW/WHAT packaged
together

Best

Giovanni Lenzi
www.smileupps.com
Smileupps Cloud App Store

Re: [VOTE] WHY/HOW/WHAT

Posted by Jason Smith <ja...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, Sep 16, 2015 at 2:56 PM, Andy Wenk <an...@apache.org> wrote:

> I am not sure why this happens because there was a very long discussion
> about the slogan. So I have the feeling, we have done sth. wrong. Before we
> start again, we should clarify these points in my opinion:
>
> * what went wrong?

At least in my case, it was **I** who was wrong. I simply procrastinated
reading the other thread, but when I saw the big "VOTE" email, I engaged.

Re: [VOTE] WHY/HOW/WHAT

Posted by Andy Wenk <an...@apache.org>.
Hi all,

--
Andy Wenk
Hamburg - Germany

Re: [VOTE] WHY/HOW/WHAT

Posted by Johs Ensby <jo...@b2w.com>.
Hi,

Re: [VOTE] WHY/HOW/WHAT

Posted by Alexander Shorin <kx...@gmail.com>.
Proposal #1: -1

Slogan is quite too broad and fits better for some cloud data storage.
Mission is sounds like we only care about data sync. And it more looks
like a WHAT description.
Description is wrong about:
- Any leading cloud provides. There are only two of such;
- Not every native app loves JSON. JSON is a web thing and only exists
because of web and lack of love for XML. Outside there are much better
transfer format;
- JSON and binary attachments in the one sentence causes conflict
because JSON cannot work with binaries;
- Couch Replication Protocol sounds like a separate project that power
everything - why do people need CouchDB then?

Proposal #2: -1

Slogan is quite interesting and even could work.
But mission stands we we again only care about data sync.
Description repeats mistakes of the Proposal #1, but tries to be better.

What's more important that from both proposal it doesn't seems clear
about what they're talking about. Data where you need, replication
protocol, cloud provider, JSON, sync, offline - is that something like
dropbox?

Both proposals misses quite oblivious facts:
1. CouchDB is a database in the first place, not dropbox, rsync, cloud
service, or whatever;
2. It uses HTTP for API that speaks JSON;
3. It made in Erlang for the great scale;

Basically, if I just quote our website, it will describe CouchDB much
more better and precisely:

Re: [VOTE] WHY/HOW/WHAT

Posted by Johs Ensby <jo...@b2w.com>.
Hi,
#1 slogan -1 because it is not unique enough (31 pages of google hits)
#2 0

To the process;
the "package vote" might have made it harder to arrive at the slogan to use although I think the w-w-w is useful to slice up the discussion
I was hoping for more than 2 proposals and would propose another round, and concentrate on the "slogan" and "mission statement" and ask for 3-5 words on the first one and a sentence on the last one.
My candidate would be
Slogan: Data that sync
Mission statement: <Something that unwrap that, about enabling your data to live and breath with the users wherever they are, don't have the words yet>

I think the couple slogan>mission is a good "package" to develop since the slogan needs to be the teaser for the mission
I think the WHAT needs to be adapted to various target groups and could be updated as often as needed, while the slogan needs to be long term part of branding together with the name and logo.

Johs