Posted to user@ant.apache.org by toadFrog <ke...@comcast.net> on 2008/05/09 19:56:53 UTC

Re: How to use stdin/stdout with exec

I read through all the responses to your question. I saw nothing that
addressed this.

Your question addresses an issue with is the same problem as running a KSH
interactive script from the ant exec command. Specifically, ant does not
block for user input when a script executes a read command  ,at least,
using the following configuration:

ant build.xml snippet:

   <target name="promote" depends=""
      description="Usage: ant promote">
      <echo message="running: build-promote.sh"/>
     <exec
        dir="${clearance.dir}"
        spawn="false"
        executable="/bin/ksh">
        <arg line='-c "build-promote.sh &lt; $STDIN"'/>
     </exec>
   </target>

ksh: build-promote.sh  snippet:

echo
echo "Select kit number: "
typeset -i akit
read aKit
echo "Is this kit number ok? $aKit"

Upon execution of the read command, ant must stop and allow the user to
enter a response.  Instead what is happening is execution continues with the
next line in the shell pgm. I can't enter a response to any of the reads in
the pgm.

Seems this is just operator error on our part. But, I've messed around with
this too long and tried several different approaches.

Were you able to get this working?

thx in advance. kev.