Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by LuKreme <kr...@kreme.com> on 2018/03/04 14:07:26 UTC

[users@httpd] Re: Reditect HTTP to HTTPS .htaccess

I don't do this in .htaccess, I do it in <virtualHost>

<VirtualHost *:80>
   ServerName www.example.com
   ServerAlias example.com
   Redirect / https://www.example.com/
 </Virtualhost>

But something like this should work in .htaccess as well:

RewriteEngine On
 RewriteCond %{SERVER_PORT} 80
 RewriteRule ^(.*)$ https://www.example.com/$1 [R=301,L]

I think, perhaps based on nothing at all, that doing it in VirtualHosts works better.

--
My main job is trying to come up with new and innovative and effective ways to reject even more mail. I'm up to about 97% now.

Re: [users@httpd] Re: Reditect HTTP to HTTPS .htaccess

Posted by D'Arcy Cain <da...@vex.net>.
On 03/04/2018 08:07 AM, LuKreme wrote:
> I don't do this in .htaccess, I do it in <virtualHost>
>
> <VirtualHost *:80>
>    ServerName www.example.com
>    ServerAlias example.com
>    Redirect / https://www.example.com/
>  </Virtualhost>
>
> But something like this should work in .htaccess as well:
>
> RewriteEngine On
>  RewriteCond %{SERVER_PORT} 80
>  RewriteRule ^(.*)$ https://www.example.com/$1 [R=301,L]
>
> I think, perhaps based on nothing at all, that doing it in VirtualHosts works better.

Well, at the very least you only have to parse it once at startup.  If
you don't have a .htaccess file at all you also save an extra file open
on every hit.

--
D'Arcy J.M. Cain
System Administrator, Vex.Net