Posted to dev@cayenne.apache.org by Michael Gentry <bl...@gmail.com> on 2017/05/04 11:56:09 UTC

Website FIles

I did a quick grep trying to find the website files, but didn't locate
them.  Can anyone give me a hint?  I think ASF would like us to add the
"Support Apache" link/logo [1] to our site (in the header).

Thanks,

mrg

[1]  See how POI did it: http://poi.apache.org

Re: Website FIles

Posted by Michael Gentry <bl...@gmail.com>.
I must be going blind because I looked at the CMS reference page yesterday
and missed it.

I wanted to run local because skeleton.html is a bit "odd" in the way it
includes the graphics/logos in the header -- solely through master.css:

<h2><a href="http://www.apache.org" title="The Apache Software

Not even an image tag there, so I'll have to figure out the CSS needed to
prepend other logo.  I expect that to take many attempts and wanted to
avoid a slew of commits.

Thanks,

mrg

Re: Website FIles

Posted by Michael Gentry <bl...@gmail.com>.
Actually, what I said doesn't make sense.  Did I mention I'm living in an
allergy fog these days?  :-)

Even if the production site references the staging site, the robots.txt on
the staging site should discourage search engines from following it.

Re: Website FIles

Posted by Michael Gentry <bl...@gmail.com>.

Re: Website FIles

Posted by Andrus Adamchik <an...@objectstyle.org>.

Re: Website FIles

Posted by Michael Gentry <bl...@gmail.com>.
I'm fine with obfuscating the staging site to confuse search engines.  I'll
do that later.

There are WAY too many board@ e-mails... I'm actually surprised I saw this
one from Sally.  Most I just file away.

The location I put the support badge was largely lifted from the POI site.
I even lifted their graphic since the original one Sally posted didn't have
transparency information (all a white background, which didn't work in our
header).

Re: Website FIles

Posted by Andrus Adamchik <an...@objectstyle.org>.

Re: Website FIles

Posted by Michael Gentry <bl...@gmail.com>.
That's the main change.  I also added a link to the Staging CMS site since
I had to dig that up (didn't know it offhand).

Yes, the Board was requesting it.  Are you still getting the board@
e-mails?  If so, look for the "[PMCs] Seeking your help for ASF's 18th
Anniversary" thread from Sally.  (And yes, it was back in March, but I'm

Re: Website FIles

Posted by Michael Gentry <bl...@gmail.com>.
Some random ASF sites I thought had nice-looking themes:

https://cordova.apache.org

http://wicket.apache.org

http://cloudstack.apache.org

http://jclouds.apache.org

http://shiro.apache.org

Re: Website FIles

Posted by Michael Gentry <bl...@gmail.com>.

Re: Website FIles

Posted by Andrus Adamchik <an...@objectstyle.org>.

Re: Website FIles

Posted by Michael Gentry <bl...@gmail.com>.
I think a personal GitHub site for prototyping would be fine.  Let us know
where it is so we can fork, etc.  :-)

Are you going to try to find a pre-built theme or create one by hand?  I
think Andrus has ideas on this since he was talking about an ObjectStyle
designer working on it.  Speaking of which, Andrus, will your designer be

Re: Website FIles

Posted by Michael Gentry <bl...@gmail.com>.
That's a lot slower than I'd expect, but I have never built a "large"
Jekyll site.  I'm not opposed to non-Jekyll -- we aren't hosting at GitHub,
so Jekyll isn't really a requirement.  Perhaps it is time for Ari to chime
in since he's used Jekyll more.

FWIW, found this Hugo theme site which may give your designer some ideas or
a starting point (if using Hugo):

https://themes.gohugo.io

Re: Website FIles

Posted by Andrus Adamchik <an...@objectstyle.org>.

Re: Website FIles

Posted by Michael Gentry <bl...@gmail.com>.

Re: Website FIles

Posted by Aristedes Maniatis <ar...@maniatis.org>.
On 7/11/17 8:42 AM, Aristedes Maniatis wrote:
> Speed for jekyll seems to be building about 100 pages in 3-4 seconds. But I don't have a bigger site to compare and test with. But I'm sure it depends on what you are doing on those pages.

I just checked this against the Cayenne site I created.

$ jekyll s --incremental

takes 28 seconds (to start up Jekyll for the first time and build the whole site)

Page edits after that take 14 seconds. Pretty sure it is my sidebar navigation implementation which is the slow part here since every page has to iterate through the whole site to build the menu.

--
-------------------------->
Aristedes Maniatis

Re: Website FIles

Posted by Andrus Adamchik <an...@objectstyle.org>.
I think we should not worry too much about the second group. At least not on the home page. We should mention in some form that Cayenne is an ORM of course, but beyond that the top priority should not be advertising us as "an ORM", but rather as "a better ORM" [*]. We just spoke with the designer, and I floated an idea of a slogan: "ORM with character".

Andrus

[*] BTW these days ORM competition is no longer raw JDBC, but rather SQL mappers like Jooq and Mybatis.

Re: Website FIles

Posted by Aristedes Maniatis <ar...@maniatis.org>.
On 7/12/17 4:54 PM, Andrus Adamchik wrote:
>> Can we keep moving forward with the general concept?
> Absolutely. I am actually meeting with the designer later today and was going to use your prototype as the initial spec. I like the suggested structure with a bare minimum set of top-level menus and a more detailed menu in the footer. Most people will indeed be interested in download, docs or support.

Good. I think that's a very modern approach which I like. Use the footer for navigation, but keep some important calls to action in the header area.

--
-------------------------->
Aristedes Maniatis

Re: Website FIles

Posted by Andrus Adamchik <an...@objectstyle.org>.

Re: Website FIles

Posted by Aristedes Maniatis <ar...@maniatis.org>.

Re: Website FIles

Posted by Michael Gentry <bl...@gmail.com>.

Re: Website FIles

Posted by Aristedes Maniatis <ar...@maniatis.org>.
On 7/11/17 4:18 PM, Andrus Adamchik wrote:
> Worked for me after "sudo gem install jekyll bundler". Also had to change the run command for jekyll to this due to some dependency versions mismatch:
>
>   bundle exec jekyll s --incremental
>
> No idea what "bundle exec" means, but it works. Time of a second run is 19 sec.

Bundler is the ruby dependency management tool. So this executes the jekyll application using the dependencies (gems) installs for that specific project rather than those installed in your system. Frankly the Ruby bundling system is a huge pain....

Ari

--
-------------------------->
Aristedes Maniatis

Re: Website FIles

Posted by Andrus Adamchik <an...@objectstyle.org>.
> On Jul 11, 2017, at 1:42 AM, Aristedes Maniatis <ar...@maniatis.org> wrote:
>
> On 7/10/17 6:30 PM, Andrus Adamchik wrote:
>> -bash: bundler: command not found
>>
>> Do I need a special PATH for Jekyll?
>
> Did you get it working?

Worked for me after "sudo gem install jekyll bundler". Also had to change the run command for jekyll to this due to some dependency versions mismatch:

  bundle exec jekyll s --incremental

No idea what "bundle exec" means, but it works. Time of a second run is 19 sec.

>> Coincidentally today we had a discussion with my team about a new site engine for bootique.io. And it was mentioned that Jekyll becomes pretty slow when building large sites. My colleagues recommended Hugo - https://gohugo.io/ , which is a similar engine. I don't have experience with either, but I thought I'd mention.
>
> I looked at a few of these a while ago and found jekyll the most popular (and therefore supported) by a large margin.
>
> Speed for jekyll seems to be building about 100 pages in 3-4 seconds. But I don't have a bigger site to compare and test with. But I'm sure it depends on what you are doing on those pages.

As an example I was pointed to these stats (A popular Russian Java podcast site, about 140 pages) :

https://travis-ci.org/razbor-poletov/razbor-poletov.github.com/builds

Though of course this is Travis. It can be slow for any number of reasons unrelated to the script. And 2 min is by no means *unbearably* slow.

Andrus

Re: Website FIles

Posted by Aristedes Maniatis <ar...@maniatis.org>.

Re: Website FIles

Posted by Andrus Adamchik <an...@objectstyle.org>.

Re: Website FIles

Posted by Aristedes Maniatis <ar...@maniatis.org>.

Re: Website FIles

Posted by Andrus Adamchik <an...@objectstyle.org>.

Re: Website FIles

Posted by Aristedes Maniatis <ar...@maniatis.org>.
I have a 5 hour flight coming up next week. Should I use some of that time until my laptop battery runs out to create a new jekyll site and transfer a bit of the content over? No styling or anything, just a basic transfer of data ready for some design concept to be laid over the top.

Is that useful? Is everyone happy with jekyll as a choice? Should I just make a new personal github repo and we can move it over somewhere else later?

Ari

On 25/5/17 8:24am, Michael Gentry wrote:
> I just published the changes.  Let me know if you encounter any issues.
>
> As to Ari's comment of only publishing static content, the ASF CMS dynamic
> editing of our site using their CMS Bookmarklet isn't all that great, so I
> don't think we'd really miss/lose anything by only publishing static
> content.  I'd prefer to edit and preview the live/local statically
> generated content, personally, and publish when we think it is correct.
>
> Thanks,
>
> mrg
>

> On Sun, May 21, 2017 at 7:20 PM, Aristedes Maniatis <ar...@maniatis.org>
> wrote:
>
>> I'll chime in here that I love Jekyll and am currently moving my own site
>> across to it. I used it also for our company intranet and (off topic) I
>> highly recommend it for that purpose.
>>
>> If we do move to Jekyll, I'd be happy to do a bunch of the initial setup
>> work. But I asked about Jekyll years ago to see if the Apache CMS supported
>> it and the answer was no. So that would mean we'd need to only upload
>> static content.
>>
>> Ari
>>

>> On 21/5/17 11:10pm, Andrus Adamchik wrote:
>>> I'd be +1 on Jekyll. We can simply check in Jekyll-generated content to
>> the site SVN as HTML/CSS/JS.
>>>
>>> Andrus

>> andrus@objectstyle.org>

>> designer
>> understand

>> actively
>> noticed

>> how to
>> editing

>> GitHub
>>>

>> --
>> -------------------------->
>> Aristedes Maniatis

-------------------------->
Aristedes Maniatis

Re: Website FIles

Posted by Michael Gentry <bl...@gmail.com>.

Re: Website FIles

Posted by Aristedes Maniatis <ar...@maniatis.org>.

--
-------------------------->
Aristedes Maniatis

Re: Website FIles

Posted by Andrus Adamchik <an...@objectstyle.org>.

Re: Website FIles

Posted by Michael Gentry <bl...@gmail.com>.

Re: Website FIles

Posted by Andrus Adamchik <an...@objectstyle.org>.
> On May 21, 2017, at 3:39 PM, Andrus Adamchik <an...@objectstyle.org> wrote:
>
>> I've got the update on the staging site if anyone wants to look/comment:
>>
>> http://cayenne.staging.apache.org/

I guess the main limitation of using staging for site review is that a single review would block any other updates to the site, and has a risk of going live prematurely. Shouldn't be a big problem in practice, as the updates happen rarely, usually around a release time. But notifying everybody will be important in this scenario.

Andrus

Re: Website FIles

Posted by Andrus Adamchik <an...@objectstyle.org>.

Re: Website FIles