Posted to user@cassandra.apache.org by A J <s5...@gmail.com> on 2011/12/01 20:01:57 UTC

garbage collecting tombstones

Hello,
Is 'garbage collecting tombstones ' a different operation than the JVM GC.
Garbage collecting tombstones is controlled by gc_grace_seconds which
by default is set to 10 days. But the traditional GC seems to happen
much more frequently (when observed through jconsole) ?

How can I force the garbage collecting tombstones to happen ad-hoc
when I want to ?

Thanks.

Re: garbage collecting tombstones

Posted by Eric Evans <ee...@acunu.com>.
On Thu, Dec 1, 2011 at 2:45 PM, Jahangir Mohammed
<md...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Tombstone is a marker indicating the record to be deleted.
> "gc_grace_seconds" is the time after which the record will be deleted
> physically from the node.
> There is no ad-hoc way of gc'ing tombstones. Only after "gc_grace_seconds"
> the tombstones will be gc'ed.

Actually, they'll be removed on the first compaction that occurs after
gc_grace_seconds.

--
Eric Evans
Acunu | http://www.acunu.com | @acunu

Re: garbage collecting tombstones

Posted by Jahangir Mohammed <md...@gmail.com>.
Tombstone is a marker indicating the record to be deleted.

"gc_grace_seconds" is the time after which the record will be deleted
physically from the node.

There is no ad-hoc way of gc'ing tombstones. Only after "gc_grace_seconds"
the tombstones will be gc'ed.

Thanks,
Jahangir Mohammed.