Posted to users@maven.apache.org by David Smiley <DS...@mitre.org> on 2006/07/18 16:25:53 UTC

war including excluded transitive jars

I'm experiencing something that obviously shouldn't be happening but I can't
figure out why.  I realized my war was getting loaded up with all sorts of
jars that shouldn't be there.  Even Ant!  To debug maven, I know to use "-X"
and so I do that to view the dependency tree get resolved... and my
exclusions were effective since that part of the output did not show any
output at all for jars I explicitly excluded.  Then...  when the war is
being packed, I see:
[DEBUG] adding entry WEB-INF/lib/commons-logging-1.1.jar
and many other jars.  The only occurrence of "common-logging" in the output
of "mvn -X package" is right there.

Am I missing something?

Re: war including excluded transitive jars

Posted by David Smiley <DS...@mitre.org>.
Oh... I figured out a clue to the problem.  I've been using jetty (6.0.0rc0)
to test out my webapp.  Jetty only loads the jars I want into its webapp
classloader.  I found out that the jars that were getting into the generated
war at war:war were jetty's dependencies!  So by having the jetty plugin, it
sort of surreptitiously put jars into my dependencies.  I didn't know a
plugin could do that unless I invoked it.  I'll raise this with them... but
can a maven expert say wether this is potentially a maven bug... since I'd
never expect a plugin's jars to end up in my war.