Posted to dev@maven.apache.org by Benson Margulies <bi...@gmail.com> on 2012/12/10 20:44:48 UTC

Process: choosing a logging back end

As an Apache project, we are called upon to make our decisions (*) by
an open, public, consensus process. Choosing a logging back end is no
different.

Ideally, then, the community would reach a consensus. 'The Community'
is not defined by any sharp boundary, but it includes at least all the
committers.

Given that this is a matter of taste, it is possible that everyone
might agree that a simple majority vote amongst options would be less
stressful than an attempt to send email until we all agree on an
option. Of course, all decisions are matters of taste at some level,
but this one strikes me as having a particularly strong flavor of
'chacun á son gout.'

If the community decides that the right solution is an EPL-licensed
component, then there's an additional step. The Maven PMC has adopted
a policy that EPL dependencies require a PMC vote.

However, if the PMC were presented with an up-or-down vote to add an
EPL logging component which was the clear choice of the entire
community, I would be stunned if the PMC voted 'no'. So, as I see it,
the important decision is the open community decision.

(*) except for a very few exceptions involving people.

Re: Process: choosing a logging back end

Posted by Jason van Zyl <ja...@tesla.io>.
Then I will just ask the committers to help choose an implementation. I'll send out a separate thread.

On Dec 10, 2012, at 2:44 PM, Benson Margulies <bi...@gmail.com> wrote:

> As an Apache project, we are called upon to make our decisions (*) by
> an open, public, consensus process. Choosing a logging back end is no
> different.
>
> Ideally, then, the community would reach a consensus. 'The Community'
> is not defined by any sharp boundary, but it includes at least all the
> committers.
>
> Given that this is a matter of taste, it is possible that everyone
> might agree that a simple majority vote amongst options would be less
> stressful than an attempt to send email until we all agree on an
> option. Of course, all decisions are matters of taste at some level,
> but this one strikes me as having a particularly strong flavor of
> 'chacun á son gout.'
>
> If the community decides that the right solution is an EPL-licensed
> component, then there's an additional step. The Maven PMC has adopted
> a policy that EPL dependencies require a PMC vote.
>
> However, if the PMC were presented with an up-or-down vote to add an
> EPL logging component which was the clear choice of the entire
> community, I would be stunned if the PMC voted 'no'. So, as I see it,
> the important decision is the open community decision.
>

> (*) except for a very few exceptions involving people.

Jason

Jason van Zyl
Founder & CTO, Sonatype
Founder,  Apache Maven
http://twitter.com/jvanzyl

the course of true love never did run smooth ...

 -- Shakespeare