Posted to server-dev@james.apache.org by Frank Herrmann <fh...@inf.tu-dresden.de> on 2002/04/23 15:31:16 UTC

Suggestions/Recommendations "Anti-Spam"

Hello,

I am working on a project to develop a platform-independent anti-spam
solution. I would like to implement an additional feature for James and use
it as a mail proxy on localhost.

The basic idea is:

All messages from senders that are unknown will be automatically returned to
the senders address with a unique ID and the message: "please send this
message again to the same address".
If this message arrives us, the senders address is permanently allowed.
(i.e. added to "allowed senders")

This will block all of those non replyable mail spammers. Those, who have the
ability to respond (and even do so with the unique ID) can be blocked easily
by changing the format of the message.

What is the best way to contribute this idea into James ? Where to start ?

Frank Herrmann

RE: Suggestions/Recommendations "Anti-Spam"

Posted by Danny Angus <da...@thought.co.uk>.
Frank,
I'd suggest that you write a matcher and a mailet

the matcher should check each mail for two conditions,

first that the sender is in your known senders list, you could use (or rip
off code from) the list server user repositories for this.
second, if that check fails you check for acceptable return ID, you might
munge the subject line, or use an X header, but beware that you have to
ensure that the ID will be sent back to you.
If both tests fail a match is made which means you don't want to accept the
mail so it goes to your mailet.
The mailet processes all mail it receives, adds your ID and sends it back to
the sender, you'll need to decide whether or not this situation should use
the reply-to header or the from header.

The three concerns I have are;
1/ rather than reducing the load on your server this scheme turns one
incoming spam into another outgoing message, increasing network traffic and
server load.
2/ The vagiaries of mail client software,and the range of ways in which
people use it are such that communicating the ID number invisibly is
probably not practical.
3/ Suppose you tendered for a Big Contract, and the Big Boss of the
Corporation wanted to drop you a line, perhaps to ask for additional
information. He is not going to be impressed with your outfit if his mail is
bounced. (IMHO)

The thing I like is the way in which your server can learn who to accept
mail from, with the burden being on the sender. (see earlier posts to this
list regarding spam and SMTP)

Focus on the learning idea and see where it takes you.

d.