Posted to dev@groovy.apache.org by Jochen Theodorou <bl...@gmx.org> on 2017/09/04 19:09:34 UTC

Groovy using Graal

Hi all,

since Graal is now available in JDK9 by default I was wondering if we
should go into a path for deep integration with Graal if we can take
advantage of it.

In the past I was quite partial to this because of the licensing of
Graal itself. I know from before it was GPL with or without classpath
extension. But even with classpath extension I was not feeling well
about depending on it and the trouble users would have go through to
setup an optional Graal part.

Well, now since it is part of JDK9 those troubles are of the past. Now
everyone has a ready to use Graal afaik. And we do no longer have to
distribute it. That means we can consider really depending on it, like
we depend on the Java platform itself.

How do others think?

bye Jochen

Re: Groovy using Graal

Posted by Guillaume Laforge <gl...@gmail.com>.
Code name: Graavy :-D

--
Guillaume Laforge

Blog: http://glaforge.appspot.com/
<https://plus.google.com/u/0/114130972232398734985/posts>

Re: Groovy using Graal

Posted by Russel Winder <ru...@winder.org.uk>.

Re: Groovy using Graal

Posted by Paolo Di Tommaso <pa...@gmail.com>.
I've seen some presentations and Graal looks impressive. It seems Oracle is
investing a lot on it, already having other languages running on it.

IMO Groovy would be benefit a lot being able to run on Graal.

Re: Groovy using Graal

Posted by Paul King <pa...@asert.com.au>.

Re: Groovy using Graal

Posted by Daniel Sun <re...@hotmail.com>.
Hi Jochen,

      Graal[1] looks amazing, +1 for leveraging its power.

Cheers,
Daniel.Sun

[1]
http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/oracle-labs/program-languages/overview/index.html