Posted to dev@hbase.apache.org by Josh Elser <el...@apache.org> on 2017/09/07 03:18:28 UTC

[DISCUSS] Best way to help out with 2.0?

Hi folks,

I find myself in a position where I have a bit more time to start
investing into HBase 2.0, but I find myself a bit stymied about where
to begin. I appreciate the document tracking the high-level features
that Stack has been maintaining (and reminding the rest of us to
update), but it's a bit too high-level when I'm looking for something
concrete to debug/fix and advance the progress.

I can imagine that there are other folks in the same scenario, so I
figured it would be good to ask the question to the group at large.
Some initial thoughts I had on the matter...

* Is a JIRA search for fixVersion=2.0, unassigned, and unresolved meaningful?
* Is looking at busted tests on Jenkins worthwhile? I'd worry about
working on something someone else is already debugging.

- Josh

Re: [DISCUSS] Best way to help out with 2.0?

Posted by Josh Elser <el...@apache.org>.

On 9/7/17 12:35 AM, Stack wrote:
> [...]
>> investing into HBase 2.0, but I find myself a bit stymied about where
>> to begin. I appreciate the document tracking the high-level features
>> that Stack has been maintaining (and reminding the rest of us to
>> update), but it's a bit too high-level when I'm looking for something
>> concrete to debug/fix and advance the progress.
>>
>> I can imagine that there are other folks in the same scenario, so I
>> figured it would be good to ask the question to the group at large.
>> Some initial thoughts I had on the matter...
>>
>> * Is a JIRA search for fixVersion=2.0, unassigned, and unresolved
>> meaningful?
>> * Is looking at busted tests on Jenkins worthwhile? I'd worry about
>> working on something someone else is already debugging.
>>

> Thank you for asking Josh.
>
> Some notes for context (some repeated info from other, concurrent thread
> but I figure that it is ok given thread title):
>
> + Plan is to do three alphas (two of which have already released) and a few
> betas before we put up an RC (Alphas and betas have the usual connotations
> -- shout if you need exposition)
> + Up in JIRA, there is the 2.0.0 fix version. A few passes have pared down
> the 2.0.0 set. My guess is that ultimately 1/4 of the JIRAs will make it.
> We are engineers after all.
> + We've also been keeping versions in JIRA for each particular step on the
> way to 2.0.0 so you'll see a 2.0.0-alpha-1, -alpha-2, and so on.
> + We are currently trying to get 2.0.0-alpha-3 out. The theme for this
> release is API stabilization. The plan is to put up an -alpha-3 over the
> weekend.
> + Here is the state of -alpha-3 [1]. The 'issues in progress' are doing
> well EXCEPT for the monster HBASE-18298
> <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HBASE-18298>, the Coprocessor APIs
> are a total mess issue, and need severe cleanup (Anoop and Duo have been
> doing a good job plugging away at this so far but needs more shoulders
> applied).
> + Of the 22 'Issues to do', near all are unassigned.
> + If you are looking for high-payback, picking up one of these issues will
> earn you boocoo [2] 'RM dollars' [3].
>
> Otherwise, pick anything that grabs your fancy out of the 2.0.0 bag.
>
> Busted tests on Jenkins will always double your (or anyone else's)
> karma.... Quadruple your karma by pointing at a test that overlaps doing
> same thing and removing it or by cutting test time by some discernible
> percentage.
>
> The "Book of hbase-2.0.0" goes on [4]. It now has fat section on the
> incompatibilities between 1.x and 2.x that is in need of tidying. The short
> version is that Admin and Coprocessors are irretrievably incompatible but
> hbase1 clients should be able to do DML against an hbase2 cluster and
> rolling upgrade while DML still seems possible (We'll see). The final
> chapter, Migration (hopefully Auto-Migration) is yet to be written.
>
> Hope this helps. Ask if you need me to natter more.

Thanks, Stack. Your detail is extremely appreciated as always!

Let me get myself up to speed and see if I can't dig into one of these
issues today :)

Posted by Stack <st...@duboce.net>.