Posted to user@struts.apache.org by Phase Web and Multimedia <ma...@phase.ws> on 2002/08/18 18:39:39 UTC

Struts Community is going crazy! :-))

I have seen so many extensions and ideas being developed around struts. One
of the things that I have noticed is that there are a lot of different
apporaches being taken towards using Struts. In my own conversations with
colleagues I have found that there is a fair amount of confusion mounting
over proper design patterns within and extending struts.

I don't know if there is a base set of "suggested" patterns that have been
layed out. But, maybe we can collect the wisdom of the contirbutors in order
to avoid development of heavy or misplaced extensions or apps. I know Ted
has laid down some stuff for us to view in his "Catalog". But, there have
been several things I've seen popping up. For example, The debate used to
be... do i extend the Action class or the Action Servlet... Now, we seem to
be extending the crap out of the Request Processor. The danger is that there
many ways to implement an idea and it could work in the extended Action
class or the extended RequestProcessor. But, why should we extend the
ReqeuestProcessor or the Action class. What extensions are best run against
each of the extendable classes within struts. Also, I have seen a
processPreprocess() method that is being used in the RequestProcessor class.
What is the best use for processPreproccess()?

Finally, from what i am seeing of the struts codebase is that it is starting
to get really bulky. I thought the goal was to remain lightweight and
provide hooks for extensions. I am seeing all the nifty extensions being
developed and put into the base. Isn't there a way we can provide
configurable extending? Rather than work on making the base include every
good extension, why not make the base easier to extend and provide a
standard set of hooks that can be used to access the internals. I think
maybe I'm all washed up on this. I have been using struts for a year now and
I am constantly wondering what the heck is going on. Everyone seems to be
doing things different and it's getting difficult to build a project that is
going to have some longevity.

In summary, I am seeing people develop extensions that conflict and do not
play nice with other extensions. I see Action classes being extended and I
see RequestProccessor classes being extended which are making for a mighty
mess when trying to get them to play together in a single project. It just
seems that there needs to be a little clarity on extending practice/purpose
and we need to get some clarity or development focus on an easier and more
configurable extending of struts.

Is anyone else thinking what I am?

Brandon Goodin
Phase Web and Multimedia
P (406) 862-2245
F (406) 862-0354
mail@phase.ws
http://www.phase.ws

Re: Struts Community is going crazy! :-))

Posted by Tiago Nodari <tn...@brturbo.com>.
         hey everyone, i just joined the mailing list a few days ago, and
wow some many good discussions.

         Patterns would help a lot, specially for ppl like me who are
really new to Struts and still need to learn the best way to use
struts.  Since I cant help in creating patterns, I can help in putting the
patterns in the XML format, creating the diagrams or anything like that :)

         Tiago Nodari

At 09:41 PM 8/18/2002 -0400, you wrote:
> [...]
>>good extension, why not make the base easier to extend and provide a
>>standard set of hooks that can be used to access the internals. I think
>>maybe I'm all washed up on this. I have been using struts for a year now and
>>I am constantly wondering what the heck is going on. Everyone seems to be
>>doing things different and it's getting difficult to build a project that is
>>going to have some longevity.
>>
>>In summary, I am seeing people develop extensions that conflict and do not
>>play nice with other extensions. I see Action classes being extended and I
>>see RequestProccessor classes being extended which are making for a mighty
>>mess when trying to get them to play together in a single project. It just
>>seems that there needs to be a little clarity on extending practice/purpose
>>and we need to get some clarity or development focus on an easier and more

cya,

Tiago Nodari
Need a JSP Developer? I am looking for a job in the US...
www.nodari.org

Re: Struts Community is going crazy! :-))

Posted by Ted Husted <hu...@apache.org>.
Contributing to the documentation isn't any different than contributing
to the codebase. Just figure out where it should go and submit a patch
or enhancement request through bugzilla. A list of which classes must be
extended and which can be used as-is (whitebox vs blackbox) could  be
handled in the newbie FAQ. Or we could add a new section to the User
Guide. The catalog document on my site is in HTML right now, but if
someone converted that to XML, we could move that over to the Struts
site and expand on that. Whoever does the work gets to make the decision.

There is also a lot of material that can be mined from the list. For
example, Craig posted some nice material on populating ActionForms on
the Dev list last week. If someone took that material, poured it into
XML, and submitted it to Bugzilla, we'd be on our way to a patterns
document. As a rule, 90% of anything Craig posts is a FAQ waiting to
happen. Someone just needs to take the initiative to convert the
exchange to a documentation entry.

Patches to the Javdocs are also welcome. The Struts Javadocs are a
wealth of detail and should be considered the primary source of
information. Moving forward, I'd like to expand on the Developers Guides

<http://jakarta.apache.org/struts/doc-1.0.2/api/org/apache/struts/taglib/bean/package-summary.html#package_description>

as a replacement for the User Guide. We can then use FAQs and working
examples <http://sourceforge.net/projects/struts> to fill in the blanks.
As it stands, maintaining details in the User Guide and in the Javadocs
is becoming a maintenance burden, and the Developer Guides model seems
like a better way to go.

One thing to keep in mind is that Struts "grew in the telling". There
are many places where the evolution of the codebase has caused
functionality to overlap. Someone realizes something is too hard to do
and so they introduce an easier way to do it. But since many people have
already done it the hard way, we can't change the old t way without
breaking a lot of code. The 1.1 codebase would be much simplier if not
for the 1.0 compatibility issues. But we can't desert all the 1.0
production applications on a "point release" and so we have to deal with
the legacy issues.

Posted by Phase Web and Multimedia <ma...@phase.ws>.
Ted,

Posted by Ted Husted <hu...@apache.org>.

Re: when to use Struts

Posted by Joel Rees <jo...@alpsgiken.gr.jp>.
> However, my
> main concern is that learning to use this 'wheel' might take longer than
> building one myself.

Great. Allocate a few extra days for the learning curve and try building
one yourself. That way, you'll know whether you really need a full-blown
framework like struts, and, if you do need the full framework, you'll by
a few days ahead on understanding the whys and hows.

--
Joel Rees <jo...@alpsgiken.gr.jp>

Re: when to use Struts

> Yeah, I know what I am saying would be like reinventing the wheel, and
thus
> the point of using a framework (to not reinvent the wheel).  However, my
> main concern is that learning to use this 'wheel' might take longer than
> building one myself.

And with the great books coming soon, you will learn faster and without pain
:o)
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/search-handle-form/ref=br_ss_/002-4557268-
5498463

 Chuck's preview is downloadable on the serverside:
http://www.theserverside.com/resources/strutsreview.jsp

(I hope Ted's draft book will also be available online)

RE: when to use Struts

Posted by Melissa L Kelley <st...@stuology.net>.
On Sun, 18 Aug 2002, neal wrote:

In the short term, it may take longer. It really depends on how easily you
can learn, which nobody here can really gauge. The best way to determine
that would be to read through the User's Guide on the Struts website, take
a peek at the Javadocs, and run through a tutorial (which you can find
some in the Resources section on the Struts website).

The most valuable feature in my opinion would be the growing user base.
Resources to learn the framework pop up everyday. There is also the
consideration of other developers having to work on the code in the
future. The chances that you can find another developer that knows Struts is
increasing. And having a developer who already knows the framework would
save time over a developer having to learn a framework.

Case in point:
I work in the US in the energy industry which has been seeing a lot of
layoffs, my company not excluded. Our layoffs took our development base of
about 35 people (which were spread out in small teams of about 5 or 6
throught the company) to 6 people. The 6 of us that survived have had to
take on more applications. One of the apps that I took over was in the
middle of development. The business came to me and said they were in the
middle of doing some testing but they can't get to the app anymore. They
wanted to show the eventual end users parts of it in a couple of days, so
they wanted it to be up and running. Well, to shorten the story, the code
that was checked into source control was out of date, the build file
wouldn't run, and the war would not deploy. The only documentation that I
had was on the business requirements. The only thing that enabled me to
get that app up and running in time (and still be able to go home and
sleep) was that the developer chose to use Struts, which I was using on
another project and thus was familiar with. I'm also not having any
problems picking up the development of the app even with the lack of
documentation. The decision to use Struts by the previous developer was
quite a time saver for me.

--> stu: www.stuology.net
It just no longer is plain simple safe fun
when it's the psycho chimp that has the ray gun
Stuology -- A million monkeys can't be wrong

RE: when to use Struts

Posted by "Craig R. McClanahan" <cr...@apache.org>.

On Sun, 18 Aug 2002, neal wrote:

> Date: Sun, 18 Aug 2002 15:07:45 -0700
> From: neal <ne...@yahoo.com>
> Subject: RE: when to use Struts
>
> Yeah, I know what I am saying would be like reinventing the wheel, and thus
> the point of using a framework (to not reinvent the wheel).  However, my
> main concern is that learning to use this 'wheel' might take longer than
> building one myself.

A data point might be interesting for you.

Especially in the early days when there wasn't anything like Struts
available, a very large number of people came across Struts and said
"boy, am I glad I found this ... now I don't have to keep maintaining my
own." and "gee, I was halfway done with my own and starting to find it
painful."  These people recognized an important principle.

You're absolutely right that you can create a controller servlet like the
one in Struts pretty easily -- but that is not the entire cost in order to
do a fair comparison.  You also have to count in all of the effort it's
going to take, now and forever more, to maintain your own framework and
add any new features that you see in other frameworks and want for
yourself.

I haven't added it up precisely, but just my own efforts that have gone
into Struts might prove illuminating ... the basic framework, and the
initial set of custom tags, was written from scratch over about twenty
hours on a three-day holiday weekend to the beach (needless to say, my
wife wasn't particularly happy with me ...).  In the 27 months or so since
then, I've easily invested a hundred times that many hours in updates and
fixes -- to say nothing of the efforts of at least ten other committers
and untold numbers of people who have volunteerd patches and improvement
suggestions.

For a framework developer, that cost is pretty modest compared to the
returns.  For a person whose primary job is to produce web applications,
the investment in building your own framework directly takes away precious
developer hours and attention from building the applications themselves --
the cost of training on a framework like Struts (assuming its meet your
basic needs) is trivial by comparison.

Craig

RE: when to use Struts

Posted by Ian Vellosa <ve...@btopenworld.com>.
there is a good tutorial at;

http://rzserv2.fhnon.de/~lg002556/struts/Doku.html

if you can put aside a day or maybe two, you can get the basics all susseed
off this

RE: when to use Struts

Re: when to use Struts

Posted by "V. Cekvenich" <ba...@newsguy.com>.
You can spend your time writing system programing (bugs?, performance?,
document? new hires? future?) and write yet another mvc, (do you think
you can out do the Struts team of Craig, Ted, Martin, Cedric,
Winterfeld, etc. etc, what they did for the last few years?)
or
spend your time re-using working/tested/ documented/ books on it code
and do applications programing to solve a bus. problem.

Some people drive a car to work (use technology) others get under the
car and tweak a combustion engine (get used by technology).

You should do what you think will let you build an app faster for your
client/employer.

v.

RE: when to use Struts

Posted by John Yu <jo...@scioworks.com>.
This article may help:

   http://www.scioworks.net/devnews/articles/struts_adoption_issues/index.html

--
John Yu                       Scioworks Technologies
e: john@scioworks.com         w: +(65) 873 5989

Scioworks Camino - "Don't develop Struts Apps without it!"

RE: when to use Struts

RE: when to use Struts

Posted by neal <ne...@yahoo.com>.

Re: when to use Struts

Posted by "V. Cekvenich" <ba...@newsguy.com>.

Re: when to use Struts

Posted by Kenneth Stout <ke...@attbi.com>.
Neal,

I believe there are four areas that make struts worth the investment.
1) struts allows you or a team to deal with each of the building blocks one
at a time. You start with the core and then add-on templates, tiles,
validator, etc as and when needed.
2) Rock solid code base.
3) It has an outstanding user community that is very willing to provide
assistance. If you haven't already noticed this mailing list generated 80 to
120 message per day. That is a lot of information and ideas flowing. And you
must stay around for the Friday threads. ;-)
4) There are a wealth of tools available to help make struts programming
easier, and struts integrates into the most popular IDEs.

Kenneth.

Re: Struts Connection Pooling

Posted by faisal <fa...@hotmail.com>.
check the webapp in  www.ibatis.com  check the common.lib
Currently I am using the (adapted)lib with every web app on stuts
Faisal

RE: when to use Struts

Posted by Peggy Davidson <ti...@mindspring.com>.
We had a 30-day prototype to get up and running and chose Struts for the
framework.  There were 3 team members, none of whom had ever used Struts
before.  We chose it because of how much we had heard about ease of use, etc
from other peers.  We made our deadline and the interface included about 20
jsp pages 15 action classes, 10 forms and a couple of servlets with a
database interface.  Its not an overly complex application but my point is
we had no problem getting up to speed by walking through the example and
taking advantage of the helpful folks on the user's list.  Another component
that we have recently incorporated (Which has really decreased the code in
the classes) is the basic validation stuff.  Very easy to use and understand
and has cut my code down significantly.

One other point I want to make is the customer decided after delivery they
did not like the look and feel, well by using the struts, we were able to
change the look and feel within a day (and I mean it changed 180 degrees),
without impacting and of the business logic.

Peggy

when to use Struts

Posted by neal <ne...@yahoo.com>.

Posted by Phase Web and Multimedia <ma...@phase.ws>.
I hope my original message is not taken as a slam on struts. I love it. I
want to chorus in by saying "GOOD JOB STRUTS TEAM!". I am just wondering if
my thoughts are totally unfounded or have some validity. I have been known
to be an idiot. :-)

Brandon Goodin
Phase Web and Multimedia
P (406) 862-2245